Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,273,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The problem with a United Europe is it reduces the possibility of open war and the money to be made by the warmongers and profiteers.
Yea, that's a good point. It's historically the bloodiest continent on the planet, and many Euro's that i know have expressed the same sentiments that you have. The Union basically protects them from themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 12:27 PM

13,676 posts, read 20,816,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, that's a good point. It's historically the bloodiest continent on the planet, and many Euro's that i know have expressed the same sentiments that you have. The Union basically protects them from themselves.
I reckon the fact that they are all democracies has something to do with it. Democracies do not fight other democracies. Never happens.

And <ahem> dare I say, a supportive American presence certainly did not hurt either.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:37 AM

5,999 posts, read 7,116,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No.
Oh, I see. So it only bothers you when conservative Americans disagree with liberal European policies, but you're fine when liberal Europeans and Canadians disagree with conservative American policies. Well, at least you admit your double standard, I'll give you credit for that I guess.

Old 09-10-2011, 02:31 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,503,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Aren't they just inviting too many people to scam(waste) their system by it being so generous?
Maybe. Maybe not.

[not for me to deliberate]

Old 09-10-2011, 04:29 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,490,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Once Norway runs out of oil and natural gasses their welfare system will collapse
Very true, but with oil prices above $80/barrel today they can really rake in the cash. It was only 13 years ago that oil was selling for under $20/barrel. So as long as they have not increased their welfare spending beyond 400% over the last decade, they should still be in the black.

Old 09-10-2011, 05:09 AM

4,544 posts, read 6,820,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
No. To me it's about how an overly generous welfare system can be targeted for the types of scams like was reported in the original link. I have no problems with welfare that is prioritized and well monitored. I think Norway should prioritize their welfare according to people's actual needs.
I don't think Norway needs our advice. It's a completely different situation. It has long been a homogeneous population with largely unified cultural and religious beliefs. My friends in Norway recognize that their structure would not work in the US and question how our system is able to do as well as it can given all the variables in terms of cultural and religious beliefs as well as wide differences in income.

Norway is a beautiful country and their system currently works for them. However, they are beginning to question the ability of their structure being able to handle a changing population that includes immigrants that have cultural and religious beliefs that run contrary to most Norwegians.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:55 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,528,288 times
Norway will be fine without oil money. Their social welfare programs are funded by high taxes including a wealth tax. That's right, if you have a lot of money, the government extracts a percentage of your holdings each year even if you have no "income".

The oil money is put into a trust fund for pensions. They already have plenty enough to pay for the people they have and their oil is still pumping.

What's interesting is that their policies - government run healthcare, education, and retirement - actually make it a really great place to start a business. They rank very high in terms of entrepreneurship, since those exact issues - healthcare, education, and retirement - are what bankrupt many small businesses here.

You have to get it out of your head that welfare programs "encourage" laziness on a grand scale. Yes, there are people that will game the system, but most don't want to live a subsistence lifestyle unless they have no other choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies