Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 10:48 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,304,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
Here is the whole quote.

“White people scare the crap out of me... I have never been attacked by a black person, never been evicted by a black person, never had my security deposit ripped off by a black landlord, never had a black landlord... never been pulled over by a black cop, never been sold a lemon by a black car salesman, never seen a black car salesman, never had a black person deny me a bank loan, never had a black person bury my movie, and I've never heard a black person say: We're going to eliminate ten thousand jobs here— have a nice day!”

99% of bad things that has happened to me in my life time (1950-) was by whites. So that must be the scarier group. Mr Moore may be right.....
That may all be true, he is still white.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:49 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
I have alot of respect for this man, and it puzzles me why people think he does not love his country. In fact, it baffles me, considering how much this man wants the country, and its citizens, to both get better. Judging these comments, I can see how much of an uphill battle it is. I wonder how much people have really changed since the Civil War.

Michael Moore: I was the most hated man in America | Books | The Guardian

Old 09-08-2011, 06:34 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
I have alot of respect for this man, and it puzzles me why people think he does not love his country. In fact, it baffles me, considering how much this man wants the country, and its citizens, to both get better. Judging these comments, I can see how much of an uphill battle it is. I wonder how much people have really changed since the Civil War.

Michael Moore: I was the most hated man in America | Books | The Guardian

Perhaps it could be that he stands by and supports this nation's enemies- maybe that is it. Michael Moore praises despotic nations who institutionally oppose human rights and individual civil liberties. Witness his support for Castro, Chavez, and now Iran. The man is a traitor and is a propaganda "useful idiot" for the enemies of liberty.

His film "Michael and Me" was actually pretty good and was consistent with his support for the "common man". After that, he basically distorted facts, edited scenes, and twisted reality to support a far left world view of the US. In short, he is academically dishonest and is a liar.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I would prefer to live in a "Michael Moore" America then the corporate despotism we are headed for where it would be illegal to criticize any business or politician.

I am not surprised by the vehement objection to this man's right to speak freely by the right wing demagogues. "We support the First Amendment so long as you don't offend us," is their motto. He has as much right to visit Iran as anyone else. He also has a right to share what he learned and express his opinion.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:18 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
That may all be true, he is still white.
And?

Old 09-08-2011, 07:22 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would prefer to live in a "Michael Moore" America then the corporate despotism we are headed for where it would be illegal to criticize any business or politician.

I am not surprised by the vehement objection to this man's right to speak freely by the right wing demagogues. "We support the First Amendment so long as you don't offend us," is their motto. He has as much right to visit Iran as anyone else. He also has a right to share what he learned and express his opinion.

Check this out:

Under Suspicion At The Mall Of America : NPR

Old 09-08-2011, 07:59 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Perhaps it could be that he stands by and supports this nation's enemies- maybe that is it. Michael Moore praises despotic nations who institutionally oppose human rights and individual civil liberties. Witness his support for Castro, Chavez, and now Iran. The man is a traitor and is a propaganda "useful idiot" for the enemies of liberty.

His film "Michael and Me" was actually pretty good and was consistent with his support for the "common man". After that, he basically distorted facts, edited scenes, and twisted reality to support a far left world view of the US. In short, he is academically dishonest and is a liar.
Still trying to figure out how Castro, Chavez and Iran are enemies of this country. I can't think of anything they've ever done to this country that should give them enemy status.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:12 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Still trying to figure out how Castro, Chavez and Iran are enemies of this country. I can't think of anything they've ever done to this country that should give them enemy status.
They didn't become part of First Security Bank.

Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
They didn't become part of First Security Bank.
LMAO....great.

Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,870,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why do you care about where he travels? And why shouldn't he visit Iran? He's a private citizen and should be able to travel anywhere he wants.

What's with you guys' pet peeve and fascination with Iran?
Absolutely. He should be able to visit Iran without any negative consequences. Obviously, unless it is proven that he want there with the expressed purpose of becoming an agent of the Iranian government, but I doubt that is likely.

My problem with Michael Moore's trip is not that he attending a film festival, but rather I have a good idea how this is going to play out. He'll visit the country and will not criticize any aspect of their foreign or domestic policies while in the country. He will probably praise several of them or at least the results. "They have little crime in Tehran and free healthcare too!" He will probably meet with high-ranking Iranian officials for a few photos ops, possibly make a passing remark about "differences in beliefs" and then probably criticize Bush and Obama as well. We he gets back to the US, he might say some positive words about the protests regarding the (most likely rigged elections), but will probably add something along the lines of that he wished Americans did the same thing in 2000. He will also compare Christian Fundamentalists with Islamic Fundamentalists, but will reserve his venom for the American Religious Right.

Now, my problem is not with the criticisms of Obama and Bush (which I've done numerous times on this forum). My beef is that the man is not as brave as he likes to paint himself. He likes to pretend he is going up against a neo-Fascist state when he criticizes the American government and while I actually agree with many of his criticisms about the increasing lack of respect for dissent the past several administrations have shown; he will not dare criticize a real tyranny to its face. Not a government that is somewhat tyrannical or is occasionally tyrannical, but the type of place where you can end up in a prison or in a freak car accident for speaking out against the government. I honestly hope he proves me wrong and has the balls to call out the Iranian regime for it's crimes, but I have a feeling it will be mostly ass-kissing with (maybe) some really wishy-washed "Um. You probably shouldn't kinda do stuff like, um, some of the not-so-nice stuff that people say you do, but that's your culture."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies