Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2011, 08:23 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times

Advertisements

More stimulus for his failed economic policies and if the Repubs don't pass it he will just blame them again...blackmailing,hostage holding politicial games yet again with the taxpayers getting the bill.It sounds like more bailouts for teachers and public service workers to me. Wiring schools to high speed internet and new schools is great as infrastructure is needing a upgrade but again this is short term we need to bring manufacturing jobs back that really feed the coffers,we need to rid ourselves of this crippling debt not spend more money that we do not have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
What's wrong with decreasing taxes for businesses which either hire new workers or give their present workers a raise?
And get the taxes from the imports. Hike the taxes on all the corporations that hire illegals and that outsource our jobs.

Old 09-09-2011, 08:35 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The recession was caused by Wall Street, even though the GOP repeats the zombie lie that it was Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac caused the problem, which just isn't so. It was Wall St. greed buying up worthless mortgages, repackaging them as AAA securities and selling them to unsuspecting investors that caused the economic crash, not the government.

You do realize the GSEs also bundled mortgages, right?

Nationalization of the Mortgage Market | The Freeman | Ideas On Liberty

fanny mae and freddie mac - a history | economics zone at abelard.org

And it was Bill Clinton, on the advice of Larry Summers and Bob Ruben, who left derivatives unregulated.

Clinton Says Rubin, Summers Gave `Wrong' Derivatives Advice - Bloomberg

Old 09-09-2011, 08:39 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I was working last night so I didn't get to listen to the whole speech. I like the idea of tax breaks for companies who hire the long-term unemployed, I was unemployed for 3 1/2 years and too many of my friends still are.

During that 3 1/2 years of being unemployed I lived and still live in GA the "Georgia Works" program was an epic fail down here we called it the GA not working program, so it does concern me that part of his program is based on it.

Great idea!

No chance in hell they'll fire a current employee to hire a long-term unemployed individual to get the tax credit, right?

Old 09-09-2011, 08:40 AM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
The problem with the Obama jobs plan is it isn't a jobs plan... It's more stimulas and payoffs for croanies.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 AM

1,899 posts, read 2,851,624 times
I said years ago that instead of bailing out the banks and the auto industry, they should have given that money to the people with provisions. People could pay down their mortgage, buy an American car, or spend it on other American made products. If this was done back then, it could have helped stop the free-fall we were about to enter. It would have put the money back into the banks and the auto industry, while also helping people keep from losing their houses, or get a running car. It could have killed 2 birds with one stone. Instead, they bypassed the people and just handed over the cash. That didn't help us at all. If it had come throught he people, homes would have been saved and jobs wouldn't have been lost because the demand wouldn't have suddenly stopped when people all went into a panic and suddenly stopped spending.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
I don't think any concious person believes the GOP will be party to anything that could possibly add jobs. Certainly not Obama! This just the beginning of the campaign. It's the Dems cementing that they are on the side of 80% of America.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:20 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

FYI the economy expanded under Bush.
well, somebody had to install all those granite countertops funded with 2nd mortgages.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:23 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
TEFRA?

"and we all know where Bush cuts got us. They got us into the debt mess we are in now."

No. Tax cuts don't cause deficits. Spending does that.

Bush increased the debt by $4 trillion over eight years.

Obama will do the same thing in three years.

FYI the economy expanded under Bush.
No tax cuts and increased spending under the Bush administration accounts for some of fundamental imbalances in our economy. Not to mention the personal debt we have Americans have been putting ourselfs through over the past decades. Furthermore, what jobs have been gained from the private sector over these last months, were offset by state's cutting their budgets and letting go workers.

And yes the economy expanded under Bush but also a few bubbles popped, mainly the bubble that finally pushed our economy over the edge.

We are in for a rough road ahead. I know its a popular here on CD to go with the cut regulations and lower taxes mantra but you all sound like you are lobbyist. Instead you should be saying we need to streamline our tax and regulatory system, that way you don't sound like you slaves to our corporate overlords. We don't need to keep exhausting supply side solutions... we need something to increase demand for jobs, i.e. people need a reason to start spending.

The only viable solution to this is to keep government spending while interest rates are so low. Our country is going to need to upgrade, rebuild, and do maintenance on our infrastructure (transportation, water management, electric grid, etc.) anyways so let's spend money on something that will provide us a good return. Government spending will be the only thing that will keep our heads above water the next few years until the private sector has a reason (i.e. consumer demand for goods and service picks up) to hire.

We don't have a debt crisis, that is simply misinformation. Our debt problems are long term as in the short to medium term (as long we don't something incredibly stupid) it is a necessary risk. Again what we pay to manage our debt is still very low, compare that with other countries whose interest rates are higher. Don't agree we need more government spending then watch the US have a "lost decade".

Old 09-09-2011, 09:24 AM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
With one small twist.

The cost of the jobs plan is estimated at $450 billion. The census bureau reports that there are about 113 million households in the United States:

USA QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Okay, then.

Instead of just handing the cash to a newly-created bureaucracy, and rewarding unions for their support of the Democrats, with the power of the stimulus watered down and chipped away, why not demonstrate some real creativeness and issue each American household a non-transferable voucher -- which MUST be redeemed within one year (or it is no longer valid), and good only for goods, products, or services made in the USA --- for $3982.30 ($450 billion divided by 113 million)?

That way, the money goes to the people who will spend it, depending on their own individual choices and needs. Small and large business will benefit. People will be hired by the private sector. Taxes will be collected. And the entire economy will benefit.

Obama claims that his proposal will benefit each American household by $1500. I have him beat by over two grand!

Good idea? Yes? No? Why?
Your plan makes a hell of a lot more sense than that crap spewed forth from St. Hope and Change's mouth.

Why on earth does anyone still support this guy? His first "creating jobs" plan didn't work, what on earth makes anyone think this one will?

"Let's just keep throwing money on the problem until we hemorrhage and die." Wow, that's a great plan!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies