Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2011, 01:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The truth is not your strong suit is it? Global warming is occurring twice as fast in the Arctic than anywhere else on Earth. Some regions have already warmed by 2.5C.

The last time Pacific species were able to migrate to the Atlantic through the Arctic was two to three million years ago...You call that frequently? I don't.
And spinning fantasies is your strong suit I see....

Then why is it Santa has just ordered larger space heaters?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
The truth is not your strong suit is it? Global warming is occurring twice as fast in the Arctic than anywhere else on Earth. Some regions have already warmed by 2.5C.

The last time Pacific species were able to migrate to the Atlantic through the Arctic was two to three million years ago...You call that frequently? I don't.
Provide some support for your claims please.

Any citations we can discuss that show your "truth" or are we simply supposed to bow down to your claims as if they were handed down divinely?

I am interested in your "regions" claim. Which regions are you speaking of? How have they warmed? What is the cause of the warming and how does a "region" warming translate to a "Global position"?

Old 09-20-2011, 03:04 PM

329 posts, read 267,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

I am interested in your "regions" claim. Which regions are you speaking of? How have they warmed? What is the cause of the warming and how does a "region" warming translate to a "Global position"?
See GISTEMP plot here: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis
You can see that some areas are warming more rapidly that others: the bottom plot of average anomaly by latitude makes it clearer.

The global anomaly is calculated by averaging the regional anomalies. What did you expect?

Last edited by Turboblocke; 09-20-2011 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: Wrong link

Old 09-20-2011, 03:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
See GISTEMP plot here: Data.GISS: GISS Surface Temperature Analysis
You can see that some areas are warming more rapidly that others: the bottom plot of average anomaly by latitude makes it clearer.

The global anomaly is calculated by averaging the regional anomalies. What did you expect?

Now, do this. Go grab the raw data used from those regions and evaluate each station location, their temp values and their relational values.

Then please explain to me how they go about getting the averages for the region that they report.

Or rather, is it possible to obtain the data and methodology for that Analysis?

Old 09-20-2011, 04:04 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
N.A.S.A. Global Viewer>>>>>

Global Ice Viewer

Old 09-20-2011, 04:25 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:

Look at the magnetic pole movement since it has been recorded.
Overlay the movement of the ice field, with the magnetic pole movement.

Wonder why Russia and Europe are getting cooler on average?
From your own research, which way are the poles moving? Or did you know they moved?

Old 09-20-2011, 05:23 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

From your own research, which way are the poles moving? Or did you know they moved?
Of course I know the north pole has been moving towards Siberia, but how exactly do you think that explains the decrease in the total arctic ice sheet, which is the topic of this thread?

You guys remind me of the intransigent religious...You are going to believe what you want regardless of how much the evidence tells you that you are wrong, right up to and including making up conspiracy theories

Old 09-20-2011, 05:27 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Provide some support for your claims please.

Any citations we can discuss that show your "truth" or are we simply supposed to bow down to your claims as if they were handed down divinely?

I provided a link to the information in the post. It's not my problem if you are too lazy to explore it. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...ion-years.html

Old 09-20-2011, 05:47 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
I provided a link to the information in the post. It's not my problem if you are too lazy to explore it. Warming oceans cause largest movement of marine species in two million years - Telegraph
This is the original press release for the finding:

http://www.clamer.eu/images/stories/...2011-06-27.pdf

Old 09-20-2011, 05:49 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,496,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

The magnetic poles are moving. The geographic pole isn't. I'm not sure why the magnetic pole is relevant.

Russia and Europe is colder on average? Any data for that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies