Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 02:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why? For us modern humans everything before, say, a few hundred thousand years or maybe even just a few ten thousand years ago, is irrelevant because modern life is very much dependent on the climate and earth the way it has been for the past few thousand years... Any major change in any direction would be a problem in my view.
That however is not a scientific argument. /shrug
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:09 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,282 times
All I know is...30-50 years ago, if I wanted to go to the North Pole, I would have needed some serious cold weather gear, huskies and a dogsled, and maybe an ice-breaker for the first half of the trip.

Now I can go this way.
British explorers row 450 miles to North Pole in world first voyage - Telegraph

Old 09-19-2011, 02:12 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I understand completely, the cycles of the Universe have nothing to do with the warming and cooling cycles of the Earth

Mankind by 2011 understands all the secrets and mechanics of the Universe, gotcha
The universe? Basically it's just about the earth, the moon, and the sun. And since we humans have become so numerous and keep changing the face of the earth so profoundly and rapidly (a couple of decades or centuries is nothing in terms of earth history), what we do or don't do is important.
I think that saying, well, the universe is so big, we are so small, so what we do doesn't matter, is very unrealistic, and increasingly so as we keep multiplying and pursuing a certain life style.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,282 times
Quote:
The universe? Basically it's just about the earth, the moon, and the sun. And since we humans have become so numerous and keep changing the face of the earth so profoundly and rapidly (a couple of decades or centuries is nothing in terms of earth history), what we do or don't do is important.
I think that saying, well, the universe is so big, we are so small, so what we do doesn't matter, is very unrealistic, and increasingly so as we keep multiplying and pursuing a certain life style.
IMO...one day an advanced alien species will cruise thru our solar system, and spot this lovely little green/blue planet just infested with these carbon-based lifeforms. They will then fix it.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
That however is not a scientific argument. /shrug
It does not need to be a scientific argument, let alone be approved as such by you. This is not a scientific board. We just exchange opinion, ideas, etc. Sometimes common sense makes sense, too

Old 09-19-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It does not need to be a scientific argument, let alone be approved as such by you. This is not a scientific board. We just exchange opinion, ideas, etc. Sometimes common sense makes sense, too
The point is that it is not established by any means of logical grounds, only subjective means to which is only valid in your particular view and pointless as support for an argument in this specific topic.

" The Arctic is Melting: Claims from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50,s"

I could make some claim about how the ice is melting because the elves forgot to turn on the ice maker, but it would be nothing more than a subjective opinion based on nothing factually or logically derived, and therefore meaningless in this discussion.

Old 09-19-2011, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
All I know is...30-50 years ago, if I wanted to go to the North Pole, I would have needed some serious cold weather gear, huskies and a dogsled, and maybe an ice-breaker for the first half of the trip.

Now I can go this way.
British explorers row 450 miles to North Pole in world first voyage - Telegraph
1. They did not row all the way to the north pole, they had to transport the boat many times over ice.

2. They did not row to the north pole, rather they went to the 1996 north pole. The north pole has shifted and there is no possible way for them to have rowed to it.

Telegraph, BBC, and Independent geography FAIL: “Row to the Pole” never made it to the “North Pole” – they are 790 miles short | Watts Up With That?

Last edited by Nomander; 09-19-2011 at 02:46 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
The point is that it is not established by any means of logical grounds, only subjective means to which is only valid in your particular view and pointless as support for an argument in this specific topic.

" The Arctic is Melting: Claims from the 20s, 30s, 40s, 50,s"

I could make some claim about how the ice is melting because the elves forgot to turn on the ice maker, but it would be nothing more than a subjective opinion based on nothing factually or logically derived, and therefore meaningless in this discussion.
Yeah, go ahead, you stick with your elves, I stick with common sense...

Old 09-19-2011, 02:39 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
These views are no more wacko than Al Gores and yours:

Galaxy Formation, Earth Pole Switching and Global Warming - SciForums.com

Galactic Plane Crossing (http://www.survivalcondo.com/documents/galacticplanecrossing.html - broken link)

2012-Galactic Plane-ISM-Cause of Solar System Warming-Ozone depletion

Old 09-19-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Yeah, go ahead, you stick with your elves, I stick with common sense...

Actually, I will stick with the science, you can take "your" common sense. /boggle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies