Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 09:58 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm. There's less ice in the 2011 image.
Nobody said there wasn't, but what can you conclude from that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 10:15 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Umm. There's less ice in the 2011 image.
May I humbly suggest you get your vision checked for color blindness?

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/deetest/deetmp.13603.png (broken link)

The red doesn't indicate communism, it indicates the ice concentration.

The depth of the ice is marginally thicker in 2007 but the area covered by the ice is greater in 2011.

BTW, I didn't post this image, the one I posted was January to January, you're excused....

Last edited by plwhit; 09-19-2011 at 10:33 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
I have no idea what you guys are arguing about...The evidence is pretty plain that the Arctic ice sheet recedes further each summer...In the images below notice the difference in the amount of ice in Hudson Bay...Why it looks like I could sail my boat from England to Alaska...How long do you think that has been possible?

Last edited by sanspeur; 09-19-2011 at 11:13 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I have no idea what you guys are arguing about...The evidence is pretty plain that the Arctic ice sheet recedes further each summer...In the images below notice the difference in the amount of ice in Hudson Bay...Why it looks like I could sail my boat from England to Alaska...How long so you think that has been possible?
Nice, pick a date range that suits your agenda....

I can do that too.....

It appears as though the ice sheet in January 2011 is thicker and covers more area then January 2007, the evidence is pretty clear the ice cap varies month to month and year to year...

Unless of course one believes global warming/climate change stops, reverses itself and then starts up again month by month...

http://arctic.atmos.uiuc.edu/cryosphere/deetest/deetmp.6650.png (broken link)

To my untrained ancient eyes the above image from 2011 appears to have a thicker (darker purple) and marginally larger ice cap then the image from 2007.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by plwhit; 09-19-2011 at 10:54 PM..

Old 09-19-2011, 11:02 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Well they found that megatron guy or whatever his name was under the icecaps in the transformer movie so obviously the ice had to be melting. What more proof do you need??

Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM

12 posts, read 7,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well they found that megatron guy or whatever his name was under the icecaps in the transformer movie so obviously the ice had to be melting. What more proof do you need??
witness a tea party mind at work

Old 09-19-2011, 11:14 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Unless of course one believes global warming/climate change stops, reverses itself and then starts up again month by month...
Please don't give them any hints for new theories.

I believe they are caught in a vicious cycle pushing this nonsense. They all hung their hats on "Global Warming" without any real evidence, and now for them to back off and claim nothing is happening means they lose their funding and so they lose their jobs, and there's no prospect of getting a new job because no one is going to hire an idiot that hung his hat on "Global Warming" so they have to keep pushing this nonsense.

That's why you get this crap:

IPCC Claim of Rising Sea Levels Retracted - Will The Oregonian Report It? | The Dead Fish Wrapper Watch

Quote:
IPCC Claim of Rising Sea Levels Retracted - Will The Oregonian Report It?

Scientists have been forced to withdraw a study on projected sea level rise due to global warming after finding mistakes that undermined the findings.

In a statement the authors of the paper said: "Since publication of our paper we have become aware of two mistakes which impact the detailed estimation of future sea level rise. This means that we can no longer draw firm conclusions regarding 21st century sea level rise from this study without further work.
Quote:
Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

As most scientists concerned with climate, I was eager to stay out of what seemed like a public circus. But in the summer of 1988 Lester Lave, a professor of economics at Carnegie Mellon University, wrote to me about being dismissed from a Senate hearing for suggesting that the issue of global warming was scientifically controversial.

Indeed, the growing skepticism is in many ways remarkable. One of the earliest protagonists of global warming, Roger Revelle, the late professor of ocean sciences at Scripps Institution of Oceanography who initiated the direct monitoring of carbon dioxide during the International Geophysical Year (1958), coauthored with S. Fred Singer and Chauncy Starr a paper recommending that action concerning global warming be delayed insofar as current knowledge was totally inadequate. Another active advocate of global warming, Michael McElroy, head of the Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences at Harvard, has recently written a paper acknowledging that existing models cannot be used to forecast climate. As Aaron Wildavsky, professor of political science at Berkeley, has quipped, "global warming'' is the mother of all environmental scares.
Global Warming: The Origin and Nature of the Alleged Scientific Consensus

Old 09-19-2011, 11:15 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowwwww View Post
witness a tea party mind at work
Appears we have another "new" poster. You swooners are really getting desperate.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:20 PM

33,554 posts, read 37,155,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Nice, pick a date range that suits your agenda....

I can do that too.....

It appears as though the ice sheet in January 2011 is thicker and covers more area then January 2007, the evidence is pretty clear the ice cap varies month to month and year to year...

To my untrained ancient eyes the above image from 2011 appears to have a thicker (darker purple) and marginally larger ice cap then the image from 2007.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
I went through every year from 1980 looking at the summer ice (The ice that tells the story) and there is a steady decrease each year from then until the present. The winter ice sheet tells you nothing, because more than half of the northern hemisphere is covered in ice and snow in the winter.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I went through every year from 1980 looking at the summer ice (The ice that tells the story) and there is a steady decrease each year from then until the present. The winter ice sheet tells you nothing, because more than half of the northern hemisphere is covered in ice and snow in the winter.
Sooooo global warming only occurs in the summer but in winter global cooling occurs and the ice sheet renews itself...

Summer ice tells the story, winter ice lies about the story...

I guess it would make sense to me if I were a Canadian...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies