Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 11:26 PM

33,548 posts, read 37,151,051 times

Advertisements

A much reduced covering of snow, shorter winter season and thawing tundra: The effects of climate change in the Arctic are already here. And the changes are taking place significantly faster than previously thought. This is what emerges from a new research report on the Arctic, presented in Copenhagen this week. Margareta Johansson, from Lund University, is one of the researchers behind the report. Effects of climate change in Arctic more extensive than expected, report finds
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Sooooo global warming only occurs in the summer but in winter global cooling occurs and the ice sheet renews itself...

Summer ice tells the story, winter ice lies about the story...

I guess it would make sense to me if I were a Canadian...
Does the concept of seasons, Winter and Summer escape you?

Winter ice tells a story, not by the area it covers, but how thick it is...This cannot be seen on the sat photos.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:37 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
A much reduced covering of snow, shorter winter season and thawing tundra: The effects of climate change in the Arctic are already here. And the changes are taking place significantly faster than previously thought. This is what emerges from a new research report on the Arctic, presented in Copenhagen this week. Margareta Johansson, from Lund University, is one of the researchers behind the report. Effects of climate change in Arctic more extensive than expected, report finds
As even a fool can see there are so many "expert" reports both for and against global warming/climate change to make any kind of judgement is ridiculous...

And to tamper with the environment without understanding WTF is going on is beyond stupid.

It seems funny to me when GW "facts" are reexamined they always seem to be disproved, see the post by Mircea (#157) as one example.....

Old 09-19-2011, 11:47 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
BTW sanspeur, that BS statistic? The one that says 97 to 98% of the climate researchers confirm global warming/climate change?

Do some research, they are paid by the government and climate interest groups to support and to advance the global warming hypothesis...

They are just bought and paid stooges...

Ya'll have a good evening now, hear?

Old 09-19-2011, 11:51 PM

12 posts, read 7,464 times
Quote:
BTW sanspeur, that BS statistic? The one that says 97 to 98% of the climate researchers confirm global warming/climate change?

Do some research, they are paid by the government and climate interest groups to support and to advance the global warming hypothesis...

all 98% of scientists are bought and paid for? that's insane got a little head wound in action, did ya?

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:

Your conspiracy theory holds no water, I'm afraid

I'm not aware of that statistic, but I'm not surprised. I too used to doubt that climate change was taking place, but can no longer deny the evidence that it is indeed a fact. I'm not sure though how much human activity has to do with it. Most or perhaps all of the effects may be the cyclic nature of our planet.

I have been to the arctic recently, and have seen the damage it is causing with my own eyes. It won't make a bit of difference if you or many others are in denial, because your denial won't change the facts.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:20 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,014,226 times
The climate always changes. Why would you doubt that in the first place? We don't live in a static bubble. Well at least most don't.

Old 09-20-2011, 04:30 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,370,306 times
Interesting thread.

So this ice melting, water freezing thing has been going on for many more years than we knew about.

It almost seems kind of cyclical.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
You are arguing AGW and you don't even know whose work Gore is using to make his claims? /boggle
So? Unless he does have a degree in a climate-related subject, I can see nothing wrong about what I wrote... I never cared about Gore, I was an environmentalist before he appeared in any media for the first time for whatever reason. Nor did I watch his movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
What exactly are you arguing about?

Do you deny the Arctic was melting 70 years ago? And somehow, miraculously, all that ice appeared once again, over the decades, as it's probably done for the last multi-billions of of years.
I don't know if the Arctic was melting 70 or 60 years ago, luckily I was not alive back then Even if it was, it may already have been at least partly because of human activity, industrialization has been in full swing for decades before that. Maybe the world wars were not overly helpful as I assume production was extreme during those years. Or think of the dust bowl in the US, that might have influenced world climate, too

With the climate there is always a certain time lag between cause and effect, which also has to be taken into account.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:02 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So? Unless he does have a degree in a climate-related subject, I can see nothing wrong about what I wrote... I never cared about Gore, I was an environmentalist before he appeared in any media for the first time for whatever reason. Nor did I watch his movie.

I don't know if the Arctic was melting 70 or 60 years ago, luckily I was not alive back then Even if it was, it may already have been at least partly because of human activity, industrialization has been in full swing for decades before that. Maybe the world wars were not overly helpful as I assume production was extreme during those years. Or think of the dust bowl in the US, that might have influenced world climate, too

With the climate there is always a certain time lag between cause and effect, which also has to be taken into account.
Especially when the Earth has been around more than 4.5 billion years (by scientists) or 6 thousand years (Genesis), and we have kept records a couple hundred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies