Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 08:31 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
They also make a lot more than the middle class.

....................... yes, that is what makes them wealthy.

And your point is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:32 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
They're based on the new profits off of that money, which have not yet been taxed.
Not true. For example, if you get a dividen from stock you own, that corporation already just paid taxes on it.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What risks? Bet they didn't loose a dime when the market tanks. If the company is publicly traded, they don't risk a thing. DH was employed by a Fortune 100. When those guys got a corner office on the top floor, they also got a paid for by the company financial advisor. Then came a private jet whenever they needed one, a medical person to explain whatever problem they had and the best way to deal with it. They got a paid for country club membership and a paid for social life, even the babysitter was a business expense. They all bought houses on a golf course in another state and a jet to take them and their families there every Friday and back on Monday morning. They even had a private elevator so they did not need to be in a car with the unwashed.This was all paid by the company. When they ran out of French wine in the executive dining room, instead of going to the local store, they sent a plane to France. Gimme a break. This was all a business expense. Don't tell me they earned it cause they were so good at their jobs. This was a regulated monopoly. The tab was picked up by rate payers and stockholders. Don't get me started on what happened after deregulation.
You have absolutely no clue..

Old 09-22-2011, 08:43 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
A better analogy: Bob works at a job and collects a $12000 paycheck of which $4200 goes into income taxes (and Social Security and Medicare on top of that. . . )

while Chuck invests his money, earns $12000 and pays $1800 of capital gains taxes on it. He makes the same money, enjoys the same government services as Bob, but pays less than half the taxes.

Bob should be angry that he's getting shafted while Chuck gets off easy.
Chuck could also lose it all. Bob won't, unless he loses his job, which will continue to be a real possibility as long as Obama is in charge.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was hired by a former NUN to work in a non-profit agency for the developmentally disabled. I doubt she was rich. I have also worked in school districts with disabled kids. ALL people in these towns, rich, poor, and middle class, paid my salary.
You do realize that non-profits are funded via donations and grants, right? The creator of said non-profit does not need to be rich to get it off the ground. And gov't jobs don't count b/c employees are paid with taxpayer money. We are talking about the private sector, ya know, the one that is supposed to be creating the jobs.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:47 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,146,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
I was hired by a former NUN to work in a non-profit agency for the developmentally disabled. I doubt she was rich. I have also worked in school districts with disabled kids. ALL people in these towns, rich, poor, and middle class, paid my salary.

It wasn't their money to begin with. The nun got the money for her project either through tithes or donations and the school district got the money through taxes. So like the other person said broke people don't create jobs.

Old 09-22-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, Where do you think the money is coming from to buy the billions of shares of stock sold on Wall Street every day?
People are forgetting that it's mainly the middle class who has 401ks, IRAs, mutual funds, etc.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It's completely disingenuous. Something like.5 % of all millionaires pay fewer or no taxes. Not ALL as he would have you think.
Where did he say "all millionaires?"

Quote:
People are forgetting that it's mainly the middle class who has 401ks, IRAs, mutual funds, etc.
do you have a source, or are you fabricating this?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
During WW2, folks did without all sorts of necessities without bitching.
You're actually comparing the WW II economy to Obama's economy?

Old 09-22-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
do you have a source, or are you fabricating this?
Do you really need a source for this? Are you sure you are old enough to be posting here because most americans who work have things like 401k's..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies