Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 06:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,549,251 times

Advertisements

It was not smart to say it in front of other people, especially people who would be offended, like black people. It also is not smart to use the descriptor Hillbilly or Redneck when sitting inside a small town bar of strangers wearing flannel shirts and listening to Molly Hatchet on the jukebox.

Racist? No. Stupid? Absolutely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2011, 07:07 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,071,479 times
A friend helps you move. A true friend helps you move bodies.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:10 PM

914 posts, read 1,808,016 times
I appreciate all your replies and definitely read them all. Thank you. To summarize, maybe it was our Boston snobby attitude, maybe it was her lack of class, maybe it was the booze, and maybe it was the intimidating big city. But the bottom line is respect and strongly feel she didn't give it which lead to those girls taunting her in defense. I seriously don't mean to throw her under the bus, just wondering what you'd all do.

I am a good friend and loyal to Jen (her name) and vice versa, though I feel she didn't think the other 5 girls we were with would side with the black chicks. She felt hurt and was confused why. She cried because we didn't agree with her. Does it make me someone who wants to come off superior, it might translate that way.

I agree that when people say "ghetto" its in the appropriate time, its in jest and entertaining. It seemed Jen used the term literally, meant it and stuck by it.

This is the club we went to:

MARQUEE

Old 09-26-2011, 07:20 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,492,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
Her only mistake was saying it out loud.

[she should have *whispered* it]

Old 09-26-2011, 07:32 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,035,998 times
Quote:
This past weekend about 6 of my female friends went to NYC for a much needed girls’ weekend out. One night, we were on the VIP list for a club and we were all ready to go. As assumed, we'd have to wait in line for a while, also, as assumed. 15 minutes goes by and my impatient friend starts complaining about the line, the people the atmosphere, etc.

At the very moment a large group of black girls walked by behind her, my friend loudly complained, "I really don't want to be here, this place is disgusting and ghetto". The 5 of the other girls' jaw dropped. It was the most embarrassing moment to hear her say that. I was appalled by her actions and told her to shut up.

The black girls in the group stopped in their tracks and got in her face calling her hair nasty and ghetto along with her outfit. Ultimately, all the other people in the line kicked all of us out and taunted us while we walked away.

My friend's only excuse why she used the word ghetto was because she "wasn't being racist but descriptive". She was very upset and cried that none of us supported her and didn't see things from her angle.

Am I wrong by this? Should I have not been so upset? How do you feel about people sayings things are ghetto. I think its incredibly rude, disgusting narrow minded and embarrassing that I know her. What would you do in this situation?
I use "ghetto" around my white pals, "slumish" around black friends or a mixed group, and I use "skid row" around senior citizens. I used to use "bowery" but that's so passé.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:40 PM

6,129 posts, read 6,819,165 times
Quote:
I appreciate all your replies and definitely read them all. Thank you. To summarize, maybe it was our Boston snobby attitude, maybe it was her lack of class, maybe it was the booze, and maybe it was the intimidating big city. But the bottom line is respect and strongly feel she didn't give it which lead to those girls taunting her in defense. I seriously don't mean to throw her under the bus, just wondering what you'd all do.

I am a good friend and loyal to Jen (her name) and vice versa, though I feel she didn't think the other 5 girls we were with would side with the black chicks. She felt hurt and was confused why. She cried because we didn't agree with her. Does it make me someone who wants to come off superior, it might translate that way.

I agree that when people say "ghetto" its in the appropriate time, its in jest and entertaining. It seemed Jen used the term literally, meant it and stuck by it.

This is the club we went to:

MARQUEE

Honey, your friend was in the wrong IMO. That was just a dumb thing to do. Don't worry about her getting her feelings hurt... some lessons are just tough to hear. She's a big girl and she'll get over it.

She's lucky that all that was hurt was her feelings. In NYC that is an EXCELLENT way to catch a beat down. Right or wrong, that's the way it is. Hopefully she learned her lesson.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:51 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
Your problem is that you've attached a racial connotation to a word that many people do not attach a racial connotation to.
Your problem is your ignorance of the racial connotation of that word, as I said before; you go into a crowd of black people and start calling them ni66ers.

Be sure to tell them they've incorrectly placed a racial connotation of the word...LOL

Old 09-26-2011, 07:53 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,072,137 times
It sounds ghetto.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:01 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,963,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
So before the incident, calling them ghetto was not okay, but now that it's been confirmed, calling them ghetto is okay? Looks like the friend called it right. She should be lucky to have such a perceptive friend, who knows what might have happened inside the club. Gotta call it like it is, broski.
So according to your logic or absence thereof, if a group of black girls that are paying absolutely no attention to you, are not looking at you, are not talking to you, if this group of black girls merely walk by you, then that's proof positive that the place is ghetto and you are totally justified in proclaiming it loudly enough to direct the comment towards them???..hilarious!!!

Old 09-26-2011, 09:17 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,302,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
People are such sissies about words these days.
Especially regarding the word "teabaggers"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies