Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 06:13 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,682,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofurkey View Post
Unfilled Tech/Skilled Jobs-Why No Takers?

I'd take the job but don't know what I'd do with my house. I'd take the job but I'm a Senior white male, so what are they going to train me for - Retirement???

Historically, I've been turned down for manual labor jobs because my body doesn't look strong enough. I've been turned down for manual labor jobs because I sound a bit too educated... or timid. But I can maintain my own home. I've recently dug up most of my yard to re-seed. I can maintain my own automobile.

So, how do I get from here to there? You seem to have answers. Can you solve my logistics?
I don't look strong either. I could still buy my clothing from the kids department if I wanted to. Maybe that's why I don't get those factory jobs I applied for. Seems the OP has all the answers. Why doesn't he just find all 14,000,000 unemployed a job? He knows how to do it. He is better than all of us so HAVE AT IT. FIND ME A JOB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 06:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What's your degree in? I see many people that took "basketweaving" programs in college (liberal arts, accounting, etc) with similar problems finding work. The thing is, not only is there a demand for skilled workers, many if not most skilled trades require higher levels of mental ability than many college degree oriented jobs. A machinist or carpenter have to be able to handle at least high school trig and blueprint reading, as well as a lot more specialized skills.
you got that right.I have to really search to find good carpenters when I land a good project. the job may last 6 mos,not enough time to give 4 yrs training. I hire the old guys that at least own a handsaw and a sharp block plane. real craftsmen are a dying breed.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,195,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
These companies complain and whine about not enough workers but won't train ANYONE. What they really want is H1B visas or illegal immigrants.
(...)
Oh, yeah. I applied at a couple factories and got rejected due to being OVERQUALIFIED. These places whine and complain about lack of experience but yet won't hire a person just because they have degree. Sounds to me like they want an H1B. Also applied at McDonalds, White Castle, Starbucks, to name a few.
If you had the slightest clue what an H1B visa is for as well as the expense and time involved for the company to get one approved and filled, you'd stop blaming the program for you not being able to get factory and fast food jobs.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm in IT. There has, literally, not been a week I haven't gotten queries regarding at least 3 jobs in so long that I can't even recall the last time I wasn't being courted. On a typical week, I field 8-15 phone calls and emails regarding positions. I don't even reach out to these people - they actively seek me out.
I can't say I field anywhere near 8-15 per week but I'd agree with your post.

I'm a software developer and people contacting me for positions, both recruiters I don't know and people I used to work with/for looking to fill a position in their company, is relatively constant.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:50 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,020,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I can't say I field anywhere near 8-15 per week but I'd agree with your post.

I'm a software developer and people contacting me for positions, both recruiters I don't know and people I used to work with/for looking to fill a position in their company, is relatively constant.
Yep, I get the same thing all the time too. I'm in IT as well. If I wanted to work elsewhere, it would be a pretty easy thing to do.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:10 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Plenty of jobs. Here's 1500 according to this paper.

desmoinesregister.com - CareerBuilder - Jobs
Have you ever actually applied for these jobs? Been interviewed? Been offered a job?

A job being advertised or posted is not necessarily a job being offered.

Often a job is advertised due to legal requirements, even though the job has already been promised to someone else (or will be eliminated in the next mass layoff, prior to hiring anyone).

Many jobs are advertised solely for the purpose of gaining information about levels of unemployment and other statistics. Temp firms run them to entice the unemployed to be counted as one of their "assets" (while the employee does not to even keep what the employer pays, and does not have a long-term job, or benefits). Private businesses run them, research corporations run them, educational institutions run them--none of which will be hiring anyone as a result.

I have also recently heard of employment ads being run by government agencies, simply to create the impression that the unemployment situation is not as catastrophic as it actually is.

Our economy is in collapse because we have gutted the employment of the Middle Class. Only total collapse and the emergence of a functional economy will end the current paralysis that locks us all into deepening poverty, slavery to a corrupt government, and ongoing loss of every thing of value we have left.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:34 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayorofnyc View Post
I'm in IT as well...how many years of exp. do you have..and what sector in IT are you in, if I may ask?
More than 10 years, and I'm on the network side of the house (Senior Network Security Architect for a large corporation).

Old 09-28-2011, 08:37 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,584,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
If you had the slightest clue what an H1B visa is for as well as the expense and time involved for the company to get one approved and filled, you'd stop blaming the program for you not being able to get factory and fast food jobs.
Yeah, I always laugh when I see people say that they can't get a non-IT position because of H1(b)'s. They reveal themselves as people who have no idea of what it is they're talking about.

H1(b) is the devil and needs to be completely overhauled, make no mistake about it - but only if you're in programming or some other aspect of technology. It doesn't even affect manufacturing.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,770,890 times
Quote:
Maybe you should learn what it takes to "get your foot in the door" at Apple or IBM.

Know what it takes? I'm gonna give you the secret.....ready? Here it is:

.....you have to answer the phone when their recruiters call you. That's it. That's the big secret.

Oh, and you have to have some sort of actual skill that most of the world doesn't have and can't be bothered to pick up because they made poor choices leading up to adulthood.
I tend to agree, but wonder why you are saying it to me.

Old 09-29-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
More than 10 years, and I'm on the network side of the house (Senior Network Security Architect for a large corporation).
That explains the 8-15. Network security and client-side (ajax/jquery/html5) devs are worth their weight in gold right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies