Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 12:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
He says he tried to start his own business but, it failed. of course he says it wasn't his fault but the gov't's fault.
Maybe too many regulations and taxes? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 12:59 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
I have been reading about the many manufacturing jobs available in this country, that are unfilled. Why is no one interested in doing this work? They are skilled jobs, of course your hands may get dirty, but people would be working. They stated the reason there are not more manufacturing jobs is we do not have the skilled workforce to fill them. These companies are begging for help,and many said they will train people.

It is high time people got off their high horse, thinking everyone should be a lawyer or doctor and get back to the real world and earn a living. I would like to see the government cancel all unemployment benefits until there was not a single open job position of any kind. Get out there and do something, to pay your own way, when I see things available, and people still complaining about the lack of jobs I have no sympathy for any of them. People are sorry who think so many jobs are below them, but accepting a government handout is not.
Oh, my. You do realize the majority of jobs require experience and won't hire anyone without it. These companies complain and whine about not enough workers but won't train ANYONE. What they really want is H1B visas or illegal immigrants. Where are these companies that you say will train people? I live in a manufacturing hot spot and have yet to see one that doesn't require less than 2 years of experience.

Oh, yeah. I applied at a couple factories and got rejected due to being OVERQUALIFIED. These places whine and complain about lack of experience but yet won't hire a person just because they have degree. Sounds to me like they want an H1B. Also applied at McDonalds, White Castle, Starbucks, to name a few.

I don't get any handouts. I need a job. I want to work, but can't find a job. I even considered suicide to get out of this unemployment hell, but people like you don't get it. You have no clue. I don't have the cash to move. I am single and get no help from family. Unfortunately, there are millions of Americans out there just like me. You need a heart for those less fortunate.

I am using what is left of my savings to improve my skills, but often wonder if it will be worth it in the end.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:16 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Because they won't hire Americans. Also, a lot of fake jobs are advertised. I've heard of people applying for advertised jobs and being told that job has not been available for six months.
Normally i'd consider this hogwash. However, my uncle who is unemployed told me just the other day that there are several positions advertised at the local CVS Pharmacy. The problem with that is his wife (my aunt) works at that pharmacy and says they haven't had an open position in over a year. It makes me wonder what's really going on out there in the job market. Very weird stuff indeed.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:11 PM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redroses777 View Post
Oh, my. You do realize the majority of jobs require experience and won't hire anyone without it. These companies complain and whine about not enough workers but won't train ANYONE. What they really want is H1B visas or illegal immigrants. Where are these companies that you say will train people? I live in a manufacturing hot spot and have yet to see one that doesn't require less than 2 years of experience.

Oh, yeah. I applied at a couple factories and got rejected due to being OVERQUALIFIED. These places whine and complain about lack of experience but yet won't hire a person just because they have degree. Sounds to me like they want an H1B. Also applied at McDonalds, White Castle, Starbucks, to name a few.

I don't get any handouts. I need a job. I want to work, but can't find a job. I even considered suicide to get out of this unemployment hell, but people like you don't get it. You have no clue. I don't have the cash to move. I am single and get no help from family. Unfortunately, there are millions of Americans out there just like me. You need a heart for those less fortunate.

I am using what is left of my savings to improve my skills, but often wonder if it will be worth it in the end.
What's your degree in? I see many people that took "basketweaving" programs in college (liberal arts, accounting, etc) with similar problems finding work. The thing is, not only is there a demand for skilled workers, many if not most skilled trades require higher levels of mental ability than many college degree oriented jobs. A machinist or carpenter have to be able to handle at least high school trig and blueprint reading, as well as a lot more specialized skills.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:31 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
I'm in IT. There has, literally, not been a week I haven't gotten queries regarding at least 3 jobs in so long that I can't even recall the last time I wasn't being courted. On a typical week, I field 8-15 phone calls and emails regarding positions. I don't even reach out to these people - they actively seek me out.

The unemployment rate for people with Bachelor's Degree's is under 5%. Given that so many people obtain degrees in vocationally worthless majors such as lib arts, art history, etc., that number seems OK.

The unemployment rate for people who only have high school degrees or less is over 10%.

This shows 2 things:

1) There are jobs out there, but they are jobs that require more skill than the ability to push a button for 8 hours and to have a union negotiate a 75 grand a year salary for you to push this button, even though an illiterate 10 year old Chinese boy can do the same job and

2) That there are a whole lot of people out there who would rather sit on their asses and whine about how they can't get a button pushing job for 75 grand a year as opposed to going to school to learn something useful, or accepting the fact that the days of living an upper middle class lifestyle with no skills are over.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:37 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Unfilled Tech/Skilled Jobs-Why No Takers?

I'd take the job but don't know what I'd do with my house. I'd take the job but I'm a Senior white male, so what are they going to train me for - Retirement???

Historically, I've been turned down for manual labor jobs because my body doesn't look strong enough. I've been turned down for manual labor jobs because I sound a bit too educated... or timid. But I can maintain my own home. I've recently dug up most of my yard to re-seed. I can maintain my own automobile.

So, how do I get from here to there? You seem to have answers. Can you solve my logistics?

Old 09-28-2011, 05:41 PM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Having worked at McDonalds in high school-- yes, we all have our dark secrets-- I found that simply applying was not enough. You had to keep bugging them, selling yourself, showing enthusiasm, and most of all, convincing them that you were worth the effort.

Yes, all that for McDonalds. Any given McDonalds receives numerous applications each and every day.

So you see, while it is undoubtedly easier to do the job at McDs than let's say IBM or Apple, getting the foot in the door is ironically much the same process.
Maybe you should learn what it takes to "get your foot in the door" at Apple or IBM.

Know what it takes? I'm gonna give you the secret.....ready? Here it is:

.....you have to answer the phone when their recruiters call you. That's it. That's the big secret.

Oh, and you have to have some sort of actual skill that most of the world doesn't have and can't be bothered to pick up because they made poor choices leading up to adulthood.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:07 PM

1,138 posts, read 3,290,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm in IT. There has, literally, not been a week I haven't gotten queries regarding at least 3 jobs in so long that I can't even recall the last time I wasn't being courted. On a typical week, I field 8-15 phone calls and emails regarding positions. I don't even reach out to these people - they actively seek me out.
I'm in IT as well...how many years of exp. do you have..and what sector in IT are you in, if I may ask?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:09 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
What's your degree in? I see many people that took "basketweaving" programs in college (liberal arts, accounting, etc) with similar problems finding work. The thing is, not only is there a demand for skilled workers, many if not most skilled trades require higher levels of mental ability than many college degree oriented jobs. A machinist or carpenter have to be able to handle at least high school trig and blueprint reading, as well as a lot more specialized skills.
I have a degree in elementary education. I have been turned down for manual labor type jobs because I don't look strong. I am a petite female who is pretty thin. I have actually had trouble meeting the height requirements of certain jobs. I received a rejection letter for a flight attendant position because I am not even 5'4".

Old 09-28-2011, 06:11 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanathos View Post
I'm in IT and I get random job offers in my inbox on a weekly basis. I have no degree and very little 9-5 work experience, just my PHP, A+, Network+, Linux+ and a resume on my web site.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies