Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 01:59 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Stay tuned for President Obama's second term, a term where he will enjoy the absence of Republican obstructionism in a Congress controlled by Democrats.

I think we're going to see 2 years of an obstructionist Congress.

2014 is going to be very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 02:01 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,483,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Sounds like you have an agenda.

And we have, more dangerous indeed, those who fill a kid's head that educaition isn't important, that they're the dreaded "elite" and evil.

It's a college degree, not diploma.
Diplomas are high school; certificates of completion.

BTW, aren't most unions blue collar?

I don't seem to have trouble finding work.
If there are no jobs, why do people continue breeding?
Kind of increases the problem, don't you think?

The people doing the breeding don't see the problem.

Presumably you have a skill set that a lot of people don't have.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:22 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if you apply for jobs and nobody will hire you? Were you assuming that everyone who wants to work can get a job?

More than 90% of the people who applied at McDonald's this year were not hired.
Then apply somewhere else. I've never been without work. It's not that difficult to find a job unless your avoiding one. If nobody will hire you then do something about it. If your above say 25 and haven't developed job skills to work then who's fault is that? I guess you could always join a union they take anybody as long as you pay your dues.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:30 AM

1,138 posts, read 3,291,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Why are they 'always' hiring?

Is the company / physical plant growing?

In my experience, people should beware a company that is 'always' hiring.
There are undoubtedly reasons for that.
Exactly...high turnover = "always hiring".

People tend to stay at jobs they actually like. Oh and btw, OP where are all of these jobs that you speak of, located?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:31 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
If you look at something called the beveridge curve, you can see unemployment rates graphed against job vacancy rates over time. Since 2009, job vacancy rates have been pretty high, especially for the amount of unemployment we have. There are definitely jobs out there.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:42 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,391,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
My brother had a clogged drain (the clog was somewhere near the main). He called a plumber who fixed it in 5 minutes for $300!!

[that's money!]

You paid $10 to fix the clog and $290 to the plumber who knew where the clog was without ripping out you entire sewage system.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:46 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,300,913 times
Quote:
The people doing the breeding don't see the problem.

Presumably you have a skill set that a lot of people don't have.
Yes, I have a skillset that's rare and useful; being a generalist can benefit one later in life.

And you're right, the people doing the breeding don't see the problem. What is in store for their offspring?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:47 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Shoot, my husband's company has been trying to hire extra people for a while. Don't even need to have experience; just be legal and have a driver's license. But, it's really hard work that will require you to get your hands dirty. He even pays well above norm to get more people in the door. Most of them last one day or he doesn't even get enough people to apply with the most basic of qualifications. He's tried through the unemployment office and nothing! If someone really wanted to work, they would be happy to take these jobs but they don't. That's the reality.
How much is he paying?

Old 09-28-2011, 06:49 AM

3,826 posts, read 3,391,045 times
Quote:
What if you apply for jobs and nobody will hire you? Were you assuming that everyone who wants to work can get a job?

More than 90% of the people who applied at McDonald's this year were not hired.
How do you expect to get hired if you:

1. Show up to the interview dressed like a thug
2. Can't speak the Queen's english
3. Smell like you have been living in a smoke filled room
4. Tell the hiring manager that you can't work weekends
5. Tell the hiring manager that you won't work nights or early mornings
6. Are dependent on others to get you to work
7. Can't work a flexible or rotating schedule
8. Demand to make at least $15/hr

That is what is required to work at a McDonalds.

Old 09-28-2011, 06:53 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,478,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Then apply somewhere else. I've never been without work. It's not that difficult to find a job unless your avoiding one. If nobody will hire you then do something about it. If your above say 25 and haven't developed job skills to work then who's fault is that? I guess you could always join a union they take anybody as long as you pay your dues.
If it was that easy with all these jobs everywhere, then why are both sides complaining about there not being any jobs and the economy is in the tank because of it. By your admission, President Obama and Congress is doing a superb job and it just the fault of lazy Americans that refuse to work that is bringing down our economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies