Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:41 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,963,428 times

Advertisements

Because they won't hire Americans. Also, a lot of fake jobs are advertised. I've heard of people applying for advertised jobs and being told that job has not been available for six months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 04:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 4,384,770 times
Where I am the jobs are there but there is a catch -22.

There are jobs for minimally skilled workers that pay about $10-12 / hr. These are "machine operators" who pretty much babysit automated equipment and hit the red STOP button if it starts to squeal.

The GOOD jobs are for people with the skills along the lines of machinists. They pay $20 and up but require good math skills. A lot of manufacturing equipment has gotten so complicated, you need to understand, programming, mechanics, electricity etc to run it properly. And usually anyone who has the smarts to be able to profit from the training and be able to get a certificate is also smart enough to get into college.

So what do most kids do? They go to college. They don't go the vokie route.

I know some adults who have gotten certificates and training who have odd backgrounds, the oddest one is a guy who has a degree as a chef. He is smart, coulnd't find work, didn't have the capital to start his own restaurant, so he got himself training as a machinist. Now he has a good job. But not everyone can do it.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:43 PM

278 posts, read 578,044 times
There is plenty of poor little me, if there is a will there is a way. Get your self a math book, take math online you obviously have the internet available. The people who have jobs are the ones that don't spend their day saying I can't. And that is the problem with this country the I can't out number the ones of that say I can. The I can minority is tired of supporting all of you. Get a job or be hungry, its as simple as that.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:52 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,432,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
I have been reading about the many manufacturing jobs available in this country, that are unfilled. Why is no one interested in doing this work? They are skilled jobs, of course your hands may get dirty, but people would be working. They stated the reason there are not more manufacturing jobs is we do not have the skilled workforce to fill them. These companies are begging for help,and many said they will train people.

It is high time people got off their high horse, thinking everyone should be a lawyer or doctor and get back to the real world and earn a living. I would like to see the government cancel all unemployment benefits until there was not a single open job position of any kind. Get out there and do something, to pay your own way, when I see things available, and people still complaining about the lack of jobs I have no sympathy for any of them. People are sorry who think so many jobs are below them, but accepting a government handout is not.
Given that you appear to be a Conservative, making that same old argument that people like blacks are unwilling to work, but only willing to live off Welfare, I don't believe your assertion that there are many manufacturing jobs around the country that are sitting unfulfilled.

More likely, companies are striving to maximize profits by overwhelmingly favoring foreign labor over qualified Americans. This is the Conservative way, and the only way it can be immediately remedied is by having President Obama as President with a Congress that is controlled by Democrats. The GOP cannot solve this problem and didn't do so the last time that had a chance when Bush was in office for those 8 horrific years. The situation is worse now for the GOP because they have been severely downgraded by their tea part branch.

Stay tuned for President Obama's second term, a term where he will enjoy the absence of Republican obstructionism in a Congress controlled by Democrats.

Old 09-27-2011, 06:15 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,365,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_Lexus View Post
Given that you appear to be a Conservative, making that same old argument that people like blacks are unwilling to work, but only willing to live off Welfare, I don't believe your assertion that there are many manufacturing jobs around the country that are sitting unfulfilled.

More likely, companies are striving to maximize profits by overwhelmingly favoring foreign labor over qualified Americans. This is the Conservative way, and the only way it can be immediately remedied is by having President Obama as President with a Congress that is controlled by Democrats. The GOP cannot solve this problem and didn't do so the last time that had a chance when Bush was in office for those 8 horrific years. The situation is worse now for the GOP because they have been severely downgraded by their tea part branch.

Stay tuned for President Obama's second term, a term where he will enjoy the absence of Republican obstructionism in a Congress controlled by Democrats.

That's certainly an interesting take. So then why was Obama unable to achieve this utopia that he is purportedly capeable of when his party had a majority in both chambers for the first two years of his one and only term?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:28 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,539,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
I have been reading about the many manufacturing jobs available in this country, that are unfilled. Why is no one interested in doing this work? They are skilled jobs, of course your hands may get dirty, but people would be working. They stated the reason there are not more manufacturing jobs is we do not have the skilled workforce to fill them. These companies are begging for help,and many said they will train people.

It is high time people got off their high horse, thinking everyone should be a lawyer or doctor and get back to the real world and earn a living. I would like to see the government cancel all unemployment benefits until there was not a single open job position of any kind. Get out there and do something, to pay your own way, when I see things available, and people still complaining about the lack of jobs I have no sympathy for any of them. People are sorry who think so many jobs are below them, but accepting a government handout is not.

What if there are jobs available on the graveyard shift and you don't have a car to get to them?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:30 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,872,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
That's certainly an interesting take. So then why was Obama unable to achieve this utopia that he is purportedly capeable of when his party had a majority in both chambers for the first two years of his one and only term?
Racism, George Bush, and the Tea Party.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
My brother had a clogged drain (the clog was somewhere near the main). He called a plumber who fixed it in 5 minutes for $300!!

[that's money!]

The drains in Spain clog mainly near the main.

Old 09-28-2011, 01:49 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,336,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
We have people in politics, unions, and schools filling kids' heads with propaganda that claims that, without a college diploma, you can't amount to anything.
Sounds like you have an agenda.

And we have, more dangerous indeed, those who fill a kid's head that educaition isn't important, that they're the dreaded "elite" and evil.

It's a college degree, not diploma.
Diplomas are high school; certificates of completion.

BTW, aren't most unions blue collar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
There ARE no jobs.

And, yes, people spending money does stimulate the economy, whether it comes from jobs or unemployment benefits.

Of course, jobs are preferable. No one will dispute that.

It's just that...

There ARE no jobs.
I don't seem to have trouble finding work.
If there are no jobs, why do people continue breeding?
Kind of increases the problem, don't you think?

Old 09-28-2011, 01:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No I don't think it's more complicated. It's rather simple. If you want to work get a job.

What if you apply for jobs and nobody will hire you? Were you assuming that everyone who wants to work can get a job?

More than 90% of the people who applied at McDonald's this year were not hired.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies