Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2011, 07:38 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Office work is neither physically hard or mentally challenging
Yep, there are many simpleton office jobs. Sucks you had one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2011, 07:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,821,925 times
NO but Dirty Jobs does show what some folks will do if paid enough and what they will do if barely paid at all. No way would I ever work in a steel mill or a charcoal cooker. Building machinery was actually fun but I did not want my job dependant on all those snobs that worked in the office.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:49 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
Quote:
NO but Dirty Jobs does show what some folks will do if paid enough and what they will do if barely paid at all. No way would I ever work in a steel mill or a charcoal cooker. Building machinery was actually fun but I did not want my job dependant on all those snobs that worked in the office.
Snob: someone who believes that some people are inherently inferior to him or her for any one of a variety of reasons

I hate to break it to you, but with your attitude towards the white collar world, you are the only snob in this thread so far.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:50 AM

13,656 posts, read 20,793,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What if you apply for jobs and nobody will hire you? Were you assuming that everyone who wants to work can get a job?

More than 90% of the people who applied at McDonald's this year were not hired.
Having worked at McDonalds in high school-- yes, we all have our dark secrets-- I found that simply applying was not enough. You had to keep bugging them, selling yourself, showing enthusiasm, and most of all, convincing them that you were worth the effort.

Yes, all that for McDonalds. Any given McDonalds receives numerous applications each and every day.

So you see, while it is undoubtedly easier to do the job at McDs than let's say IBM or Apple, getting the foot in the door is ironically much the same process.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:57 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,213,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Having worked at McDonalds in high school-- yes, we all have our dark secrets-- I found that simply applying was not enough. You had to keep bugging them, selling yourself, showing enthusiasm, and most of all, convincing them that you were worth the effort.

Yes, all that for McDonalds. Any given McDonalds receives numerous applications each and every day.

So you see, while it is undoubtedly easier to do the job at McDs than let's say IBM or Apple, getting the foot in the door is ironically much the same process.
The part I put in bold is the same for any job, not just McDonalds. Just sending off resumes and doing nothing else is a good way to not get hired.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:01 AM

8,263 posts, read 12,205,828 times
Quote:
all those snobs that worked in the office.
This says more about you than you'll ever know.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:59 AM

278 posts, read 577,353 times
GregW-if you enjoyed what you did why not take that skill to a different company, or start your own, last time I looked you get at least 3 strikes before anyone calls you out. I am sure you are going to comeback and say something about not having time, money, etc., again where there is a will there is a way. Those snobs in the office-most started where you are, but were smart enough to learn the business, and show they had the capabilities to run things. Don't begrudge other people putting forth an effort.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:09 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,026,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
If it was that easy with all these jobs everywhere, then why are both sides complaining about there not being any jobs and the economy is in the tank because of it. By your admission, President Obama and Congress is doing a superb job and it just the fault of lazy Americans that refuse to work that is bringing down our economy.
No it shows when you pay people to not work..........well............they won't work.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:17 PM

59,185 posts, read 27,371,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
GregW-if you enjoyed what you did why not take that skill to a different company, or start your own, last time I looked you get at least 3 strikes before anyone calls you out. I am sure you are going to comeback and say something about not having time, money, etc., again where there is a will there is a way. Those snobs in the office-most started where you are, but were smart enough to learn the business, and show they had the capabilities to run things. Don't begrudge other people putting forth an effort.
He says he tried to start his own business but, it failed. of course he says it wasn't his fault but the gov't's fault.

Old 09-28-2011, 12:18 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,999,365 times
Hello Michigan: Manufacturing Employers Can't Find Skilled Workers To Hire!

Factory Jobs Return, but Employers Find Skills Shortage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies