Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:43 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,465,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
No I don't think it's more complicated. It's rather simple. If you want to work get a job.
There are always some job postings in the papers because there is always some turnover in the labor force, even if it is stagnant or shrinking. But what you failed to take into consideration is that there are still many, many more unemployed than there are positions - and that's not even taking into consideration the fact that an individual is typically only qualified for some subset of jobs posted. Someone will get those jobs in the paper, but we need a hell of a lot more of them to make up or the 14 million or so jobs that have vanished or gone overseas. Until that happens, there will still be large numbers of unemployed people.

Seriously...you really think there is no real jobs crisis in this country and that everyone suddenly decided that living off of unemployment insurance was just a better way to go? Simple-minded thinking like this really scares me - it's like you heard the old story about "welfare queens" and decided to apply that minority of cirumstances to the entire recession. How intellectually callous and dishonest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 02:44 PM

5,036 posts, read 7,240,634 times
Quote:
Unending benifits is what is at play. Why work if your getting things for free? I guess you havn't listened to obama and biden. Apparently to them unemployment benifits stimulate the economy.
Dumbest post ever. By the way, your spelling is atrocious.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:00 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
There are always some job postings in the papers because there is always some turnover in the labor force, even if it is stagnant or shrinking. But what you failed to take into consideration is that there are still many, many more unemployed than there are positions - and that's not even taking into consideration the fact that an individual is typically only qualified for some subset of jobs posted. Someone will get those jobs in the paper, but we need a hell of a lot more of them to make up or the 14 million or so jobs that have vanished or gone overseas. Until that happens, there will still be large numbers of unemployed people.

Seriously...you really think there is no real jobs crisis in this country and that everyone suddenly decided that living off of unemployment insurance was just a better way to go? Simple-minded thinking like this really scares me - it's like you heard the old story about "welfare queens" and decided to apply that minority of cirumstances to the entire recession. How intellectually callous and dishonest.
The paper I pulled them from had 1500 job listings. If you can't find one out of fifteen hundred you aren't trying that hard......seriously. Why are there 1500 listings if there are no jobs? I guess that is the question that needs to be answered. I'm all ears.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,031,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
Dumbest post ever. By the way, your spelling is atrocious.
I didn't say it they did. And I care nothing about spelling. Go win the national spelling bee if you think your so great at it.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:16 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
There ARE no jobs.

Yes, there are jobs. Lot's of jobs for people with skills.

Just do a little searching. In this area there are over 2000 help wanted ads in the manufacturing sector.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Unending benifits is what is at play. Why work if your getting things for free? I guess you havn't listened to obama and biden. Apparently to them unemployment benifits stimulate the economy.

Extending unemployment benefits absolutely increases unemployment.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:21 PM

278 posts, read 577,466 times
The article I read stated they were training people for the skilled jobs, and it took 8 weeks, there were many examples, search for manufacturing jobs and they will come up. I understand that people are stuck somewhere with a house. But what happen to the people that would go to where the work is, and when they could the rest of the family would come there. These company owners were saying they would expand and there would be even more jobs if they could get the ones they already have filled. I would be more tolerant of say unemployment that making up the difference from what your new job start pay, was and gave the person a little breathing room to get going again for a period of time. Just do something to contribute. We can't blame our problems on China, they did not do this all to us, we are responsible for some of the problem too. There are companies bringing jobs back from China because it has become to expensive to do business there for them. But will we have anybody willing to take the jobs or not? One example was the furniture making company coming back to Lincolnton, NC.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:38 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,231,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldraider View Post
The article I read stated they were training people for the skilled jobs, and it took 8 weeks, there were many examples, search for manufacturing jobs and they will come up. I understand that people are stuck somewhere with a house. But what happen to the people that would go to where the work is, and when they could the rest of the family would come there. These company owners were saying they would expand and there would be even more jobs if they could get the ones they already have filled. I would be more tolerant of say unemployment that making up the difference from what your new job start pay, was and gave the person a little breathing room to get going again for a period of time. Just do something to contribute. We can't blame our problems on China, they did not do this all to us, we are responsible for some of the problem too. There are companies bringing jobs back from China because it has become to expensive to do business there for them. But will we have anybody willing to take the jobs or not? One example was the furniture making company coming back to Lincolnton, NC.
Yes That was for Leather Stiching and the job posting in Salisbury for starting pay of $9-$10. Both ads recieved thousands of applicants. They will be filled so where do the people who dont get hired go? The problem in NC is the number of unskilled workers. Too many years of cutting schools and not allowing them to modernize. Us boomers were not willing to pay for the next generation even though our parents and grandparents took care of our education. This is a reason to use the jobs bill.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:01 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,039,185 times
Shoot, my husband's company has been trying to hire extra people for a while. Don't even need to have experience; just be legal and have a driver's license. But, it's really hard work that will require you to get your hands dirty. He even pays well above norm to get more people in the door. Most of them last one day or he doesn't even get enough people to apply with the most basic of qualifications. He's tried through the unemployment office and nothing! If someone really wanted to work, they would be happy to take these jobs but they don't. That's the reality.

Old 09-27-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Shoot, my husband's company has been trying to hire extra people for a while. Don't even need to have experience; just be legal and have a driver's license. But, it's really hard work that will require you to get your hands dirty. He even pays well above norm to get more people in the door. Most of them last one day or he doesn't even get enough people to apply with the most basic of qualifications. He's tried through the unemployment office and nothing! If someone really wanted to work, they would be happy to take these jobs but they don't. That's the reality.

Maybe many of them prefer government money.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies