Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should corporations be allowed to have a no blacks hiring policy or no loans for blacks policy?
Yes 24 32.43%
No 50 67.57%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 03:09 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,080,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
For any other race for that matter.
What rock have you been living under? This question has been moot for 48 years and only a troll would attempt to revisit it.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:11 PM

561 posts, read 1,181,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Private corporations and businesses should be able to hire and fire whom they want, for whatever reason they want.

In a free country, that is what I would expect.

I mean honestly, I wouldn't want to work for an employer who was forced to hire me for my skin color.
That's not the issue at all. The question does not ask if employers/banks should be forced to hire/loan to anyone, only if they should be allowed to not hire soley on the basis of ethnicity.

I hate to cite actual evidence, but they have done experiments where a black candidate and a white candidate applied for the same job. The white candidate was more likely to be hired even when the black candidate was more qualified.

I believe in the competition of the free market, but as in all forms of competition there are rules of the game. Having no rules whatsoever is a chaotic free-for-all, not an effective way to encourage the kind of beneficial competition that leads to efficiency and innovation.

So, no, I don't see a good arguement for allowing employers, etc to discriminate against anyone on the basis of any personal characteristics that have absolutely nothing to do with their ability to do the job. This includes ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability (assuming it's unrelated to the job they'd be doing).

Old 12-26-2012, 03:16 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There should be NO law discriminating against the hiring of or giving of benefits to ANY race. At the same time, there should be NO law making it mandatory for an employer or bank to hire or give benefits to someone who is undeserving simply based upon their skin color either.

Is it more complex than this, or am I missing something?
Ya, it's much more complex.....employers in the past (and now) showed racism in their hiring....they had to be forced to hire women, blacks and other minorities... complain to THEM. THEY were the ones who made mandatory hiring laws neccessary.

....don't complain about those who need a job and are discriminated against...

Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,301,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
For any other race for that matter.

My question is not about what the law is right now, if you think corporations should be allowed to have a "no blacks allowed" hiring policy and for banks to be allowed not to give home loans to blacks? Meaning no government intervention and letting the free market decide where/if blacks get a job or if blacks can get home (or business) loans?
I didn't vote because you didn't say anything about affirmative action.

I certainly don't think they should use race in hiring, but I wonder how many corporations loan money to anyone.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,410,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apathizer View Post
That's not the issue at all. The question does not ask if employers/banks should be forced to hire/loan to anyone, only if they should be allowed to not hire soley on the basis of ethnicity.

I hate to cite actual evidence, but they have done experiments where a black candidate and a white candidate applied for the same job. The white candidate was more likely to be hired even when the black candidate was more qualified.

I believe in the competition of the free market, but as in all forms of competition there are rules of the game. Having no rules whatsoever is a chaotic free-for-all, not an effective way to encourage the kind of beneficial competition that leads to efficiency and innovation.

So, no, I don't see a good arguement for allowing employers, etc to discriminate against anyone on the basis of any personal characteristics that have absolutely nothing to do with their ability to do the job. This includes ethnicity, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, or disability (assuming it's unrelated to the job they'd be doing).

If they don't want to hire a white guy cause he is white, then why would I want to work for that person? If they don't like who I am, I don't want them forced to hire me, if rather work for someone who likes me.

In a free country, a private employer should be able to hire and fire, who they want, for whatever reason they want.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:49 PM

397 posts, read 257,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Business should do business with whomever they wish. Period.
Oh look what a shock

Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM

561 posts, read 1,181,076 times
Quote:
If they don't want to hire a white guy cause he is white, then why would I want to work for that person? If they don't like who I am, I don't want them forced to hire me, if rather work for someone who likes me.

In a free country, a private employer should be able to hire and fire, who they want, for whatever reason they want.
I don't think any type of hiring related prejudice should be legal, including prejudice against white males, period. Again, you're fabricating an invalid argument because we aren't talking about forcing an employer or bank to hiring anyone; we're talking about discriminating against a qualified applicant simply on the basis of ethnicity.

It would be one thing if this weren't an issue essential to human survival; I could kind of see your point if you're talking about a social club or something. But since we live in a money-based economy, and everyone needs money to obtain even the basic necessities of life, in terms of financial issues, no one should be legally discriminated against on the basis of entirely negligible personal characteristics like ethnicity, sex/gender, sexual orientation, etc.

We're not just talking about personal feelings/prejudices, we're talking about the basic ability to survive and participate in society. You're basically saying it's fine to legal marginalize some persons on the basis of characteristics that are absolutely unrelated to their practical ability to participate in society.

It's ridiculous that we're almost 13 years into the 21st century and some people think legal racial discrimination is OK. I actually feel kind of sorry for you because this will be a complete non-issue in a couple decades. I just take solace in the fact that people like you will be such a small minority that you'll have virtually no political power whatsoever.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,676,085 times
A similar question...if insurance companies are allowed to discriminate against me because I'm a guy, why shouldn't Asians be discriminated against? (Assuming they are high risk drivers...)

Insurance companies should profile by race if they're going to profile by income, gender, and location. It's all bs anyway...either that, or let the person's driving record dictate it all...

Old 12-26-2012, 05:55 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,396,691 times
Quote:

Did you read what you wrote? Most contracts even ones on the back of a Wendy's menu give terms of dismissal.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:11 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,033,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
There should be NO law discriminating against the hiring of or giving of benefits to ANY race. At the same time, there should be NO law making it mandatory for an employer or bank to hire or give benefits to someone who is undeserving simply based upon their skin color either.

Is it more complex than this, or am I missing something?
Nope, you are 100% correct.

Institutionalized racism once existed in this republic, and those unjust laws had to be stamped out.

However, the good often comes along with some bad, and the important civil rights successes were brought along with unneccesary and harmful laws that made it illegal for private businesses to make their own business decisions.

No law should statutize discrimination, but neither should such laws be extended to restrict the ability of of private entities to enter freely into contracts, the terms of which they decide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies