Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 11:55 AM

8,346 posts, read 7,046,395 times

Advertisements

Plain and simple:

GID is when you look down at your genitals when your brain is hardwired for one set, and seeing another set there. It's like literally being in the wrong body, and being so depressed about it that you are literally wiling to do what it takes, with or without medical help, to make the change happen.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:36 PM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinArmageddons View Post
Plain and simple:

GID is when you look down at your genitals when your brain is hardwired for one set, and seeing another set there. It's like literally being in the wrong body, and being so depressed about it that you are literally wiling to do what it takes, with or without medical help, to make the change happen.
Nonsensical. On so many levels. The "problem", therefore, is in the BRAIN. The one organ of the body, that science does NOT understand enough to work on. So, if the anatomy is male, the brain is rejecting it? The brain functions to chemical and hormonal stimuli. So, in the case of GID, the brain cannot process that stimuli? Well, what part of tbe brain would that be? Oh...let me guess, science has no clue? The link between the genitalia and the brain is there, but the receiving curcuit just....grounds out?

So the only alternative is to eliminate the sending curcuit, and run a bypass, via chemicals and hormones in a bottle.

This tricks the recieving curcuit in the brain, into thinking the hormones are being produced by the body. Uh huh...then the subject is deleriously happy, thinking he actually IS a woman, even though the concious part of the brain knows it's just an illusion. Since there are no female internal works, subject LOOKS female,ACTS female, but cannot FUNCTION as a female.

Sure thing, sounds like a grand life.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:41 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,766,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Nonsensical. On so many levels. The "problem", therefore, is in the BRAIN. The one organ of the body, that science does NOT understand enough to work on. So, if the anatomy is male, the brain is rejecting it? The brain functions to chemical and hormonal stimuli. So, in the case of GID, the brain cannot process that stimuli? Well, what part of tbe brain would that be? Oh...let me guess, science has no clue? The link between the genitalia and the brain is there, but the receiving curcuit just....grounds out?

So the only alternative is to eliminate the sending curcuit, and run a bypass, via chemicals and hormones in a bottle.

This tricks the recieving curcuit in the brain, into thinking the hormones are being produced by the body. Uh huh...then the subject is deleriously happy, thinking he actually IS a woman, even though the concious part of the brain knows it's just an illusion. Since there are no female internal works, subject LOOKS female,ACTS female, but cannot FUNCTION as a female.

Sure thing, sounds like a grand life.
It's not a grand life and that's why it needs to be taken so seriously. Will we eventually figure it out and have a way to "cure" it? Perhaps. We might find ways of fixing lots of things people don't think are broken such as homosexuality in general. No one would put them through any transformation because it's easy and they want to be spoiled. I'm not writing this for you though since you have a complete breakdown in logic in your accusation.

You don't even say what is nonsense or offer any alternatives so your statement is weak. GID is what GID is (though honestly they are about to change it). All that is is a description of symptoms not justification for a particular treatment or saying what causes it. You're like saying headaches are nonsense because you shouldn't treat them with aspirin. Whether aspirin is good or not doesn't matter, you still have a headache.

Hormones and more drastic measures are considered to lesson development of certain characteristics that is believed would may the GID worse. Or, as I like to use a word not in many spell checkers, "dysphoria". That covers it better because it's a feeling of "unwell" in addition to just being unhappy.

When a transgender man (biological female) binds the breasts in the shower and keeps the lights off at the same time because the suffering to them is that great, that is dysphoria. Not just depressed but feeling something is wrong with you. I think the analogy of waking up in the wrong body is a good one here. How would you feel?

The question is what to do about it. Right now, the prevalent, international protocol is (for kids):

1) Block puberty at start of tanner stage 2 (totally reversable)

2) Hormone Replacement therapy at age 16 (somewhat reversible but may cause sterilization)

3) Surgery (not for all) after at least two years of living transitioned.

Is that the best answer? I don't know. I don't like using surgery to "fix" things in this dramatic way but that's just my opinion.

These protocols are backed by very large medical groups so at least it isn't a few doctors making it up as they go along. That doesn't make it right but it might be the best for now because the ultimate goal is to prevent death. If someone is willing to try to get a job or go to school dressed in a gender they weren't born with because it makes more likely that they won't kill themselves then this may be the way but I hope things improve. It's just such a hard road and it breaks my heart to see a kid go through it.

Old 05-19-2013, 07:20 AM

8,091 posts, read 5,913,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
What 'argument'? You didn't make one. You made some silly uneducated quips.
You seem a little upset... you (and your links) have been pretty pwned on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies