Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times

Advertisements

I have no problem with the poor, as long as they are supporting themselves.

Both of my grandfathers raised huge families and were poor because of it, they never took a dime of assistance and they lived long, honest, happy lives.

That's how I feel about it and if someone is going to tell me that I hate the poor then that is their problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2013, 10:51 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,224,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Okay, I've read a lot of posts here the past couple of years, and I've often put out the accusation that most conservatives hate poor people. Conservatives, of course vehemently deny it and say that they don't know anyone who feels that way, so I thought I'd start this thread and ask this honest question. What is your attitude toward the poor?

1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck?
2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society?
3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor."
4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family?
5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do.

You might think I'm trolling, but I'm actually curious, since you all deny that you hate poor people. I promise I'll read your responses with an open mnd. I swear.

Thanks
mackinac
How do you define poor?

Old 05-13-2013, 10:58 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I've seen, read and heard as much - the urban black underclass is astonishingly well networked, ready, and able to take advantage of all freebie programs which come down the pike.

It's a lot like Al D'Amato's friends gaming the local housing program on Long Island, but on a much larger scale.

But what exactly was this $5000 grant program? I've never heard of such a thing. Where do I sign up?
The urban black underclass may not do well in school, but they are certainly not dumb when it comes to signing up for free money (and the employees at HUD make it their business to walk everyone through the process anyway). I find it amusing that liberals ALWAYS think inner city minorities couldn't possibly take advantage of government programs because they aren't that smart--yet they think it's the conservatives who are racist.

FYI, it doesn't take a genius to get on the phone tree and call all your friends when you get the call from your buddy at HUD that there's a new give-away program coming online.

And this particular program is statewide in Florida, called "SHIP" (State Housing Initiatives Partnership), and it's changed a bit since I was there--now it's $10,000, and some of the money is available to people making up to 120% of area median income --but here's the link to the Palm Beach County program I worked on : State Housing Initiative Program

Other local governments in Florida have their own specifics as to how they give out the money, which they receive from the state in amounts from $350,000 to over $8.8 million. Here's what the money is supposed to be used for: "SHIP dollars may be used to fund emergency repairs, new construction, rehabilitation, down payment and closing cost assistance, impact fees, construction and gap financing, mortgage buy-downs, acquisition of property for affordable housing, matching dollars for federal housing grants and programs, and homeownership counseling. SHIP funds may be used to assist units that meet the standards of chapter 553; SHIP funds may also be used to assist manufactured housing constructed after June 1994 in accordance with the installation standards defined in the rules of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles." Florida Housing Finance Corporation

Old 05-13-2013, 10:59 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,587,085 times
1. Are they mostly people who have had hard luck?

Some are, don't know a percentage.

2. Or are they worthless scum and are a drain on society?

Same as above.

3. Is there such a thing as "working poor" in your mind? And if so, about what portion of America's poor do you deem to be "working poor."

Certainly. Again, I have no idea of the percentage.

4. What would you do if you witnessed poverty in your own life--not if YOU became poor, but if you came into contact with a poor person, child or family?

Happens often. I've given to charities, I've worked in the local shelter cooking and serving food. I've bought people meals at restaurants. I give Christmas presents etc. My job often puts me in contact with people that are poor. I've provided services to people for free if they couldn't pay.

5. Do you or have you done anything to help relieve poverty in your community? If so, what do you do? I'm not asking you to brag, but just share if you do.
I guess I talked about that above, but I'm not really in a position to "relieve poverty" on a large scale.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
The open border makes some people rich though....

that's why the legal resident poor e.g. burger flippers have already lost the issue - they lose to any constituency that's not detested (e.g. sex offenders) unless some big player(s) joins in (e.g. big conservative cash and organization)

Old 05-13-2013, 11:45 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
The urban black underclass may not do well in school, but they are certainly not dumb when it comes to signing up for free money (and the employees at HUD make it their business to walk everyone through the process anyway). I find it amusing that liberals ALWAYS think inner city minorities couldn't possibly take advantage of government programs because they aren't that smart--yet they think it's the conservatives who are racist.

FYI, it doesn't take a genius to get on the phone tree and call all your friends when you get the call from your buddy at HUD that there's a new give-away program coming online.

And this particular program is statewide in Florida, called "SHIP" (State Housing Initiatives Partnership), and it's changed a bit since I was there--now it's $10,000, and some of the money is available to people making up to 120% of area median income --but here's the link to the Palm Beach County program I worked on : State Housing Initiative Program

Other local governments in Florida have their own specifics as to how they give out the money, which they receive from the state in amounts from $350,000 to over $8.8 million. Here's what the money is supposed to be used for: "SHIP dollars may be used to fund emergency repairs, new construction, rehabilitation, down payment and closing cost assistance, impact fees, construction and gap financing, mortgage buy-downs, acquisition of property for affordable housing, matching dollars for federal housing grants and programs, and homeownership counseling. SHIP funds may be used to assist units that meet the standards of chapter 553; SHIP funds may also be used to assist manufactured housing constructed after June 1994 in accordance with the installation standards defined in the rules of the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles." Florida Housing Finance Corporation

oh silly me, i should have known - not a penny for renters. yes i've seen siimilar programs in michigan. but they're useless to those who cannot get conventional-lender mortgages. i had prvate individual financing lined up but that doesn't qualify for the program.

Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM

9,913 posts, read 9,590,000 times
I HATE people that cheat the system and worse, justify it i.e. "everyone's doing it" WHICH IS WRONG.. because not everyone is doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies