Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2011, 04:55 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
How about this: When the airlines were a break on paying certain taxes they did not pass that on to the customers they kept the difference. Now if multi-billion dollar corporations do it what makes you think that a struggling mom/pop landlord would not do the same?
You are forgetting the Airlines are not making money. Why lower prices if you are not making money. The charge for baggage costs have gone up to offset losses. The contributing factor, Gas prices have gone up the last couple of years.
fyi- Also airlines didn't keep the entire difference in their wallet. They used the money to create jobs which the free market does. Do more people working increase efficiency and help keep costs in line? yes

Airlines are losing money when ticket prices are ticket 75+ tax 5= 80 total then when prices are 75+ 0 tax = 75 airlines are still losing money. Just that no tax goes to the government. Of course they raised prices back to the same level. Otherwise they go out of business, less competition higher ticket prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2011, 07:56 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Um... NO. You clearly don't get it.

Directly from the US Congress Joint Committee on Taxation:http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

22% either don't pay or get everything they did pay refunded when they file their tax return, 30% get back MORE than they ever paid in (redistribution of wealth), andonly 49% have a net liability of anything above $0 in federal income tax.

No I din't buy this Republican crap that people who have earned income don't pay taxes even if they get most of it back when they file a tax form that shows tax credits or exemptions! The money is still taken out of the weekly or monthly paycheck and the money is in a government account and is used for government purposes for days,weeks, months or as much as one year. It earns the wage earner no interest or investment income and he can't even use it as collateral in a loan! So the wage earner has lost control of this money and he even has to go to the trouble of filing a tax return to get it back. The government does not send this money back at the end of the tax year if he fails to file a return. If you fail to file a return you not only fail to get this money back but you are penalized and could lose the money altogether if the penalty exceeds the refund.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:03 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
No I din't buy this Republican crap that people who have earned income don't pay taxes even if they get most of it back when they file a tax form that shows tax credits or exemptions! The money is still taken out of the weekly or monthly paycheck and the money is in a government account and is used for government purposes for days,weeks, months or as much as one year. It earns the wage earner no interest or investment income and he can't even use it as collateral in a loan! So the wage earner has lost control of this money and he even has to go to the trouble of filing a tax return to get it back. The government does not send this money back at the end of the tax year if he fails to file a return. If you fail to file a return you not only fail to get this money back but you are penalized and could lose the money altogether if the penalty exceeds the refund.
Even the IRS admits these are the ACTUAL FACTS: 22% either don't pay or get everything they did pay refunded when they file their tax return, 30% get back MORE than they ever paid in (redistribution of wealth), and only 49% have a net liability of anything above $0 in federal income tax.
http://finance.senate.gov/newsroom/r...1-ffc00b5c00ef

What you imply would mean that EVEN MORE than 51% pay NO federal income tax.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:50 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Everyone knows its this group of people draining society and not paying into it. I have yet to hear ONE good reason why ANYONE shouldnt be contributing taxes. All you did was waaa waaa waaa..

btw, that total is now up to 51% of americans.. And people wonder why the deficits are what they are.. You want everything, you just want SOMEONE ELSE to pay for it.
bull honky

i made 30,000 last year and i paid TWO GRAND in income taxes. I am WELL UNDER The 50% mark in average salary.

LIES LIES LILES

Old 10-24-2011, 08:17 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
bull honky

i made 30,000 last year and i paid TWO GRAND in income taxes. I am WELL UNDER The 50% mark in average salary.

LIES LIES LILES
you got ripped off

I made 60k and paid NOTHING in federal income or federal payroll taxes..infact the government sent me MORE than had been deducted from income AND payroll taxes

Old 10-24-2011, 09:05 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You are forgetting the Airlines are not making money. Why lower prices if you are not making money. The charge for baggage costs have gone up to offset losses. The contributing factor, Gas prices have gone up the last couple of years.
fyi- Also airlines didn't keep the entire difference in their wallet. They used the money to create jobs which the free market does. Do more people working increase efficiency and help keep costs in line? yes

Airlines are losing money when ticket prices are ticket 75+ tax 5= 80 total then when prices are 75+ 0 tax = 75 airlines are still losing money. Just that no tax goes to the government. Of course they raised prices back to the same level. Otherwise they go out of business, less competition higher ticket prices.
I think that you are missing the point, the airlines were given a reprieve from paying taxes and they did not lower the cost of airline tickets during that period, the only exception I think was Soouthwestern Airlines

Old 10-24-2011, 09:09 AM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you got ripped off

I made 60k and paid NOTHING in federal income or federal payroll taxes..infact the government sent me MORE than had been deducted from income AND payroll taxes

...But yet you complain that everyone is not paying their fair share in taxes

Old 10-24-2011, 09:13 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
...But yet you complain that everyone is not paying their fair share in taxes
I have NEVER said that not everyone is paying their share

what I have said is...that americans are taxed too much on all levels, and that the government SPENDS too much

tax EVERYONE EQUALLY at the same rate, and cut spending

Old 10-24-2011, 09:25 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times
A little more food for thought.

Instead of bemoaning the number of Americans who do not pay income taxes perhaps a little concern should be directed at why an increasing number of Americans are falling below the income point where they would incur greater tax liability.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:26 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
bull honky

LIES LIES LILES
First, you don't say whether you're a "household". It's 50% of households that pay no FIT, not 50% of individuals.

Second, no one said the 50% who pay no FIT are the lowest-income 50%. The std deduction for a single filer is $5800. Add one $3700 exemption and you pay tax on income above $9500.

So at $30K you have $20500 of taxable income, $16750 at 10% and the rest at 15%. No one is complaining that YOU aren't paying enough. YOU should be one of the first to complain about people making more than you but paying less, or nothing at all.

But since you seem to think the problem doesn't exist, I'm sure you will be happy to know that my 2-person household reported more that 3X your income, took the std deduction and 2 exemptions, and paid total 2010 FIT of $98. IOW you paid about 7% of your income in FIT while I paid about 1/10 of 1%. Doesn't that bother you at least a little bit?

I achieved that result by taking advantage of the 2010 zero percent tax on capital gains. When obama extended the Bush tax cuts, he gave me the opportunity to repeat that result for 2011 and 2012. Great as that is for me, it's no way to run a country, especially one drowning in debt...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies