Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2011, 02:02 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
C'mon Roy. You don't come off as the fearful type.

I mean, are you really THAT scared?
Sometimes a little paranoia can keep a person out of trouble. Sometimes ignoring it, can cause more problems than one can solve.

Equal representation by our laws. Don't ever forget that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:03 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,385,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You don't know about those cities in Michigan where Sharia has been allowed to do so much? Oh yes you do you just don't want to admit that it is the Upper US where this is coming to fruition and this is too near your home.

I guess being an atheist it is easy to worry about the Bible belt. Huh?

What cities in Michigan and links to what Sharia law has been allowed to do?

Old 10-20-2011, 02:08 PM

3,381 posts, read 4,195,310 times
Quote:
How is it that Muslims deal with homosexuals in Iran? Oh yeah, they stone them to death. I think that our American homosexuals may well want to look closely at Shariah and how it could be a detriment for their lives.

You missed my point, entirely.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:21 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
Sometimes a little paranoia can keep a person out of trouble. Sometimes ignoring it, can cause more problems than one can solve.

What do you mean by "equal representation by our laws"? Our laws are foundational, not representative.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:26 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,722,262 times
Quote:
What you are saying, I think, is By God if they could do it the present one can also do it. In other words your boys set the precedent and we will continue to violate the document since get evens are to be used in law.
Your boys?

There's no "your boys" or "my boys" by my way of thinking, Roy. I am a conservative....and that means that we agree on more than we disagree. But I am anything but a Republican. And anything but a lock-step team player with the left-right partisan silliness that is the daily dialog here. I read from my own script and not the "team's". Neither Rs or Ds espouse values that our founders would recognize.

People who call themselves conservatives here probably scratch their heads when they see my enthusiastic support for the OWS protests. I, on the other hand, scratch my head wondering where on earth those same folks got the idea that there is anything conservative about their ongoing blind support of Wall Street and mega multi-national corporations.

Now, regarding Republicans and the Constitution. If Reagan had understood and respected it, his Attorney General Edwin Meece wouldn't have been on the stump in '87 and '88 pushing for mass drug testing of the American people.

If GWB had understood and respected it, there would have been no Patriot Act and his long list of quotables wouldn't have included "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," "It's just a goddamned piece of paper!"

Just two examples of many, many more that are of public record.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
You know, reading a thread like this makes me wish we had some independent institution tasked with interpreting the Constitution and giving some kind of final rulings on its issues.

Hmmmm.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:28 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post

I won't forget anything.

And i refuse to be paranoid. And i will completely ignore anti-Muslim sentiment here in this country because i see no good reason for it.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
You know, reading a thread like this makes me wish we had some independent institution tasked with interpreting the Constitution and giving some kind of final rulings on its issues.

Hmmmm.
Tried to rep you for this!

Old 10-20-2011, 02:31 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
I never said that. I am asking a question - HOW was European law mentioned in the opinion?

Was it just trotted out as a factual example?

A comment in dicta?

The answer to this question makes all the difference. I'm willing to bet it wasn't used in any way that violates anything. If the holding didn't rely on it, or do so improperly, then there is no problem.

Again, let's look at the actual court opinion, eh? Don't you think that would be helpful?

I say you don't understand where it fits into the court's opinion.
I think I saw 4 judges saying that the majority of states couldn't continue what they had been doing all along because the other 20 didn't go along with them. I don't know who wrote the minority decision but surely all agreed about that part since none said, "Not me".

Old 10-20-2011, 02:34 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,274,487 times
Quote:
The Brits I know tell a very different account than one finds in right wing rants in the US.

At any rate, who cares. It's their country.

It's not going to happen here, for reasons I've filled several threads with already.
Have you studied anything the Muslim Brotherhood has said? It appears you don't want to do that because it may be uncomfortable.

Hey, I have to leave here soon because it is time for getting tuned into GBTV since I am paying to do so. You ought to pay the $4.95 per month so you could tune in now and then. Oh hell, I forgot, he is too wildly conservative to be looked at as credible. Have you seen him since he went to the internet aftr leaving TV? He isn't controlled by any owner now since he is the owner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies