Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 05:19 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwehrs View Post
[SIZE=3] OLD GLORY[/SIZE]
How Do You Feel About It? - Patricia Wehrs
September 17, 2007

[SIZE=3]The American Flag flies today as a symbol that displays our freedom. Freedom – it is ONLY by of the grace of the Almighty and by the sacrifices of our young and brave, that “Old Glory” still waves…Least we never forget. [/SIZE]All our flags (The American Flag , MIA, Union, Confederate, State, Battalion, ect.) represent our proud history, respect those flags and what they represent, fly them high with pride and with appreciation of those who have gone before us.

[SIZE=3]In honor of [/SIZE]2nd Lieutenant Emil Miles Gentry[SIZE=3], our flag will fly at half mast this October.[/SIZE]

2nd Lieutenant Emil Miles Gentry, a US Army Air Force pilot, graduated the Air Force Advanced Flying School at Williams Field, AZ on 30 October 1942; wed Elizabeth Lee the same day; Emil was declared MIA in May of 1943 (at age 26) during the Army's WWII Pacific Campaign. The plane, in which he was co-pilot, was found in New Guinea in 1951; the crew’s remains were found in 2003 and positively identified through DNA testing in 2005. October 2007, 65 years from the month of his wedding and flight school graduation, Emil Gentry will now be laid to rest at home – Forever Young.

[SIZE=3]Now I write about someone I never met, yet I know so well. I write of my feelings, I write about my Uncle Emil. Though I have never met him, I know him from the stories of my grandmother, as her only son, and my mother, her only brother. It is thanks to them he lives in my soul. My grandfather spoke little of Emil, but when he did, his mouth would slightly smile and his blue eyes just glistened with tears of loss.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Emil was very much into his music and Native American history and lore. He played many string instruments, the mandolin, the guitar, the ukulele and banjo. My mother, Dorris, played the same instruments; she and my grandmother could also play the piano. The whole family sang and did so very well. Emil and his friends actually went to a recording studio in Chicago and cut a few records. Sorry, they were destroyed in the fire in 1979. The heat did them in. So there you go, little sister Nancy that is from where you get your beautiful voice and piano playing abilities, Dawne Patricia, you follow suite! And of course we won’t forget the boys. Brother, Rick, and nephew, Matt , who both play the string instruments and sing too. You know if we lived back on the farm in the early 1900’s , we would have one great Front Porch Band. So, thanks Uncle Emil, your talents live on.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Emil also loved the great out-of-doors, spending many hours exploring and hunting for Native American artifacts. His collection of arrow heads, stone hatchet heads and primitive tools was extensive. My brother, Rick now proudly displays the collection of arrow heads. Emil also made a lot of Indian pottery, bead work and clothing. The clothing and War Bonnet he made have long disappeared. However, I have a picture of him in the full feathered war bonnet, with the added note that neither the Pottawatomie nor the Chippewa wore this type of head dress. The typical head dress for them was a head band with three feathers at the back or side of the head.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Flags & Feathers remind us of our joys and sorrows, our love and freedoms.[/SIZE]

Emil Gentry is the cherished son of the late Floyd and Cynthia Caroline (Dorris) Gentry; beloved brother of the late Dorris Elizabeth (Gentry) McGrath Tanis and uncle to the late Barbara Jayne McGrath. Emil is survived by his wife Elizabeth (Lee) DavisCA; nieces Patricia J Wehrs of Puerto Rico and BellevueWA; Elizabeth Ann of BarringtonIL; Nancy Louise of MariettaGA; and his nephew Richard Thomas of BeloitWI. Emil is mourned by his large extended family, including 15 great-nieces and -nephews and 7 great-great-nieces and -nephews.

A memorial service will be held for Emil from 3pm to 9pm on Monday, October 15, 2007 at the Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home, 322 N Division Street in Emil's hometown of Carterville in Southern Illinois. Emil's remains will be buried in the Gentry/Dorris family plot of HillcrestCemetery, CartervilleIL the following day - Tuesday, October 16, 2007.

A memorial service for the entire crew of 13 in the downed plane will be held in St Louis on Thursday, October 18, with interment of remains at JeffersonBarracksNationalCemetery, 2900 Sheridan Road, St. Louis, MO63125, the following day - Friday, October 19, 2007 (314.260.8691 - www.cem.va.gov/pdf/jeffbarr.pdf).

Questions regarding arrangements for Emil Gentry may be directed to Michael Burke of the Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home: 618.985.2131.
for some reason this isn't working right

Old 09-19-2007, 08:14 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwehrs View Post
OLD GLORY
How Do You Feel About It? - Patricia Wehrs
September 17, 2007
The American Flag flies today as a symbol that displays our freedom. Freedom – it is ONLY by of the grace of the Almighty and by the sacrifices of our young and brave, that “Old Glory” still waves…Least we never forget. All our flags (The American Flag , MIA, Union, Confederate, State, Battalion, ect.) represent our proud history, respect those flags and what they represent, fly them high with pride and with appreciation of those who have gone before us.

In honor of 2nd Lieutenant Emil Miles Gentry, our flag will fly at half mast this October. 2nd Lieutenant Emil Miles Gentry, a US Army Air Force pilot, graduated the Air Force Advanced Flying School at Williams Field, AZ on 30 October 1942; wed Elizabeth Lee the same day; Emil was declared MIA in May of 1943 (at age 26) during the Army's WWII Pacific Campaign. The plane, in which he was co-pilot, was found in New Guinea in 1951; the crew’s remains were found in 2003 and positively identified through DNA testing in 2005. October 2007, 65 years from the month of his wedding and flight school graduation, Emil Gentry will now be laid to rest at home – Forever Young.

Now I write about someone I never met, yet I know so well. I write of my feelings, I write about my Uncle Emil. Though I have never met him, I know him from the stories of my grandmother, as her only son, and my mother, her only brother. It is thanks to them he lives in my soul. My grandfather spoke little of Emil, but when he did, his mouth would slightly smile and his blue eyes just glistened with tears of loss.

Emil was very much into his music and Native American history and lore. He played many string instruments, the mandolin, the guitar, the ukulele and banjo. My mother, Dorris, played the same instruments; she and my grandmother could also play the piano. The whole family sang and did so very well. Emil and his friends actually went to a recording studio in Chicago and cut a few records. Sorry, they were destroyed in the fire in 1979. The heat did them in. So there you go, little sister Nancy that is from where you get your beautiful voice and piano playing abilities, Dawne Patricia, you follow suite! And of course we won’t forget the boys. Brother, Rick, and nephew, Matt , who both play the string instruments and sing too. You know if we lived back on the farm in the early 1900’s , we would have one great Front Porch Band. So, thanks Uncle Emil, your talents live on.

Emil also loved the great out-of-doors, spending many hours exploring and hunting for Native American artifacts. His collection of arrow heads, stone hatchet heads and primitive tools was extensive. My brother, Rick now proudly displays the collection of arrow heads. Emil also made a lot of Indian pottery, bead work and clothing. The clothing and War Bonnet he made have long disappeared. However, I have a picture of him in the full feathered war bonnet, with the added note that neither the Pottawatomie nor the Chippewa wore this type of head dress. The typical head dress for them was a head band with three feathers at the back or side of the head.

Flags & Feathers remind us of our joys and sorrows, our love and freedoms.

Emil Gentry is the cherished son of the late Floyd and Cynthia Caroline (Dorris) Gentry; beloved brother of the late Dorris Elizabeth (Gentry) McGrath Tanis and uncle to the late Barbara Jayne McGrath. Emil is survived by his wife Elizabeth (Lee) Davis CA; nieces Patricia J Wehrs of Puerto Rico and; Elizabeth Ann of Barrington; Nancy Louise of Marietta, GA; and his nephew Richard Thomas of Beloit, WI. Emil is mourned by his large extended family, including 15 great-nieces and -nephews and 7 great-great-nieces and -nephews. A memorial service will be held for Emil from 3pm to 9pm on Monday, October 15, 2007 at the Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home, 322 N Division Street in Emil's hometown of Carterville in Southern Illinois. Emil's remains will be buried in the Gentry/Dorris family plot of Hillcrest Cemetery, Carterville the following day - Tuesday, October 16, 2007.

A memorial service for the entire crew of 13 in the downed plane will be held in St Louis on Thursday, October 18, with interment of remains at Jefferson Barracks National Cemetery, 2900 Sheridan Road St. Louis MO, the following day - Friday, October 19, 2007 (314.260.8691 - www.cem.va.gov/pdf/jeffbarr.pdf.
Questions regarding arrangements for Emil Gentry may be directed to Michael Burke of the Riggin-Pillatsch Funeral Home: 618.985.2131.
I think this clears it up...it's an obit notice but why it was placed in this thread is unclear. Liz

Old 09-19-2007, 08:26 AM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
I think this clears it up...it's an obit notice but why it was placed in this thread is unclear. Liz
I agree, unusual post,,, but my take was that this part "All our flags (The American Flag , MIA, Union, Confederate, State, Battalion, ect.) represent our proud history, respect those flags and what they represent, fly them high with pride and with appreciation of those who have gone before us." indicating that all of the flags that have flown and those that still do fly over our nation's soil, that represent the entirety or just a region or an individual state or group, are a proud part of who we are, and honor those that have been before us, laying their blood and souls and futures for us.

Old 09-19-2007, 08:30 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Thank you, Shadow, for figuring it out. Liz

Old 09-19-2007, 08:40 AM

Your welcome, but just my thoughts. BTW - is a touching, nice, proud obit. Sounds like quite the good person, with a great soul and spirit.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:00 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Thank ya Liz!

Old 09-19-2007, 01:36 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
I agree, unusual post,,, but my take was that this part "All our flags (The American Flag , MIA, Union, Confederate, State, Battalion, ect.) represent our proud history, respect those flags and what they represent, fly them high with pride and with appreciation of those who have gone before us." indicating that all of the flags that have flown and those that still do fly over our nation's soil, that represent the entirety or just a region or an individual state or group, are a proud part of who we are, and honor those that have been before us, laying their blood and souls and futures for us.
I thought it odd too till I reread the post and spotted that sentence. I agree 100% w/ the statement. If it were not for the actions good and bad of our forefathers we would not be here today. Just think, some of our ancestors were being "disloyal" to their government oh so many years ago when they were meeting secretly to worship or even plan a departure to a new land. Because of their "disloyalty" they were some of the first to step foot and claim a part of this "new world" that became The United States of America. Are we to believe that these people that sailed on the Mayflower are horrible individuals that should be shown no respect all because they were disloyal to their government? I dare hope not.

Never forget the past as it is what makes you what you are today.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:07 PM

99 posts, read 198,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post

Never forget the past as it is what makes you what you are today.
I know it's silly as all get out; but, what I wouldn't do for a time machine. How great it would be if I/We could walk into the machine, push a few bright-colored buttons, listen to the ramp-up of a loud whining-spinning-shiney globe and find ourselves in some of the circumstances we've been talking about here for two weeks, so we could really feel it and learn from it and touch it. We might find out we're wrong or we might find our beliefs validated. But, without the possibility of being able to do that, the best we have is our continued search for truth and being open to historical record, not simply being blinded by opinion.

Can I get an amen and a bit of Rod Serling music?...............

Old 09-19-2007, 07:23 PM

Sir, you get not only an amen, and some tunes, but also...

So true. Best we can do is to have an open mind, read and study and truly understand the historical documents and other clues left behind, within their own context; listen to what stories anyone living can share [taking what they share w/ some salt, as stories can be embellished or even be downplayed]; analyze historical texts/refs regarding those periods in question [again keeping in mind there may be an agenda and/or misinterpretation there]. Makes history so interesting, as just about any other science. Thanks for pointing and bringing that up!

Old 09-19-2007, 07:27 PM

99 posts, read 198,610 times
Now 'them' is some fine lookin' iced mugs. Just wait till Reb happens by here. He'll lose his lesson plans for sure............thanks for that picture!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies