Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2007, 07:45 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My husband and I were driving around today, looking at neighborhoods we might buy a home in. In a driveway we saw a car parked with a Confederate flag sticker on it. My husband said, "No way am I living in a neighborhood where someone has a Confederate flag displayed." I don't want to live around racist people either, but perhaps the person isn't racist, but is just really into the Civil War. And also I think it's impossible to find a neighborhood without any racist people, so unless every house has the Confederate flag hanging up, there is no reason to believe this neighborhood has more racist people than any other neighborhood.
What does the Confederate flag mean to you?
It is my flag ..
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2007, 10:15 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
Now 'them' is some fine lookin' iced mugs. Just wait till Reb happens by here. He'll lose his lesson plans for sure............thanks for that picture!
LOL I just happened by here and you are right on target. This ought qualify as self-inflicted cruel and unusual punishment! I suppose it could be worse though. I might have seen it about an hour before locking up the classroom and leaving on a Friday afternoon, that time-frame when the anticipation and visions of popping tops and icy golden liquid wash away all else anyway, and it is all I can do to keep from uncontrollable drooling and shaky hands. This would have undoubtably pushed it over the edge!

Old 09-20-2007, 10:21 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Y'all didn't see what *I* did to that GOLDEN elixir in another thread, now did you, LOL. All I did was borrow the picture for a bit. Liz

http://www.city-data.com/forum/1515122-post568.html

Old 09-20-2007, 10:52 AM

99 posts, read 198,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
I might have seen it about an hour before locking up the classroom and leaving on a Friday afternoon, that time-frame when the anticipation and visions of popping tops and icy golden liquid wash away all else anyway, and it is all I can do to keep from uncontrollable drooling and shaky hands.
Obviously you teach history, not English. There's no way to diagram that sentence..........

Old 09-20-2007, 02:28 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,886,811 times
Quote:
Obviously you teach history, not English. There's no way to diagram that sentence..........
If memory serves me correctly that is a "run on" sentence.

History, my favorite subject. Would you have ever guessed

Don D.,
I'm right there w/ you in that time machine. Now let me first say that I know that today I have it made compared to how my ancestors did in their lives. No way would I want to have to deal w/ the Indian raids, traveling across the prarie w/ the wagon, settling new territories, disease along w/ a host of other "ways of life" back then and most importantly dealing w/ the many wars and battles they fought. To think that we have not had a war/battle fought on our soil in direct combat in that many years. But our ancestors lived it many times. They fought the Indians, the Revolutionary War, Spanish-American War, War of 1812, the Civil War.....err, War of Northern Aggression . Sure we have been attacked on our soil but NOTHING like what they went thru on a day to day basis not knowing if you were going to wake up to a battle out your front door, go out to work the fields and never make it back home, go off to battle walking to get there and never return home. Or, if you did return home you found the charred ruins of what once was your families home and no one around to tell you what happened and where they were. We have it SOOOOO EASY yet some want us to forget the hardships that took place that brought us to this current place in time and history. How sad. No thanks, I prefer to remember what happened. I don't need to dwell on it nor try to live in the past but I do not ever want to forget it either.

Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
If memory serves me correctly that is a "run on" sentence.

History, my favorite subject. Would you have ever guessed

Don D.,
I'm right there w/ you in that time machine. Now let me first say that I know that today I have it made compared to how my ancestors did in their lives. No way would I want to have to deal w/ the Indian raids, traveling across the prarie w/ the wagon, settling new territories, disease along w/ a host of other "ways of life" back then and most importantly dealing w/ the many wars and battles they fought. To think that we have not had a war/battle fought on our soil in direct combat in that many years. But our ancestors lived it many times. They fought the Indians, the Revolutionary War, Spanish-American War, War of 1812, the Civil War.....err, War of Northern Aggression . Sure we have been attacked on our soil but NOTHING like what they went thru on a day to day basis not knowing if you were going to wake up to a battle out your front door, go out to work the fields and never make it back home, go off to battle walking to get there and never return home. Or, if you did return home you found the charred ruins of what once was your families home and no one around to tell you what happened and where they were. We have it SOOOOO EASY yet some want us to forget the hardships that took place that brought us to this current place in time and history. How sad. No thanks, I prefer to remember what happened. I don't need to dwell on it nor try to live in the past but I do not ever want to forget it either.
agreed!

Old 09-20-2007, 03:25 PM

26,428 posts, read 46,599,435 times
I have seen a lot of confederate license plates on the front of vehicles. I have seen many in areas of rural Missouri and Arkansas.

Old 09-20-2007, 04:50 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,061,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I have seen a lot of confederate license plates on the front of vehicles. I have seen many in areas of rural Missouri and Arkansas.
Indeed Also, was somewhat surprised when in central PA [Williamsport-Gettysburg areas] over the summer of how many Battle Flags saw at various homes.
Talkin w/ locals and real estate agents, was mentioned that there was quite a bit of southern sympathizers in the area.

Old 09-21-2007, 03:21 AM

99 posts, read 198,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post
I'm both Amused and BEmused by this post. Wondering about the intent of it. To say one has seen Confederate plates in rural areas of two states may be the writer's way of implying they exist only in two states and only in rural areas. Or it may simply be an implication that the writer spends time riding around in rural areas in two states and leads either a charmed or a fairly restricted life.

My perception and my inference, from his implication, are (yes, are) that the writer didn't have much else to say but wanted to be included, which is fine. If he crosses the Arkansas bridge at Memphis and tools on down into my state, he'll see more than a few in the form of the Confederate Naval Jack in the corner of our state flag on the front of most law enforcement vehicles. State flags are what they are, now aren't they? And if he's sportin' an Illinois or Oregon tag on his own car, he'll find all of those guys and gals willing to assist him if he's in need. Now Vermont.............hmmmm.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:01 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,613,058 times
Quote:
I'm both Amused and BEmused by this post. Wondering about the intent of it. To say one has seen Confederate plates in rural areas of two states may be the writer's way of implying they exist only in two states and only in rural areas. Or it may simply be an implication that the writer spends time riding around in rural areas in two states and leads either a charmed or a fairly restricted life.

My perception and my inference, from his implication, are (yes, are) that the writer didn't have much else to say but wanted to be included, which is fine. If he crosses the Arkansas bridge at Memphis and tools on down into my state, he'll see more than a few in the form of the Confederate Naval Jack in the corner of our state flag on the front of most law enforcement vehicles. State flags are what they are, now aren't they? And if he's sportin' an Illinois or Oregon tag on his own car, he'll find all of those guys and gals willing to assist him if he's in need. Now Vermont.............hmmmm.
My guess too is he just wanted to give a little friendly input and be included. Being from Kansas, I would imagine Confederate Battle Flags (in whatever form or logo) are pretty rare and he was just noting his own experience of them being more common in Arkansas and parts of Missouri, which are much more Southern in history and culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies