Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2007, 04:24 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don D. View Post
Let's get to basics. What's the word prejudice mean? I assume it means the same in Scotland as it means in America. It means prior judgment or judging absent facts or truth or knowledge; an opinion or judgement formed before the facts are known; preconceived idea, usually unfavorable and more often opposite the truth. The person who claims to be from Scotland has no factual basis for her commentary, therefore, she is prejudiced. Nothing more, nothing less.

Although I'm Scots-Irish, I've never worn a skirt (well, to my recollection). And what if I were to judge that activity.....or form an opinion of it absent facts or knowledge. Lord only knows what I might come up with.

Where's that head-banging-on-brick-wall icon?
Aw, I were jist pullin' yer laig there, laddie.

No need for a head-banging. Have a wee dram of Lophraig, instead!

Old 09-29-2007, 04:57 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
Where's that head-banging-on-brick-wall icon?
Take your choice, I have two:

Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 05:53 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Take your choice, I have two:

Liz
Ah, but where's the single malt, lass?

Old 09-29-2007, 05:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
My husband and I were driving around today, looking at neighborhoods we might buy a home in. In a driveway we saw a car parked with a Confederate flag sticker on it. My husband said, "No way am I living in a neighborhood where someone has a Confederate flag displayed." I don't want to live around racist people either, but perhaps the person isn't racist, but is just really into the Civil War. And also I think it's impossible to find a neighborhood without any racist people, so unless every house has the Confederate flag hanging up, there is no reason to believe this neighborhood has more racist people than any other neighborhood.
What does the Confederate flag mean to you?
on the flag
i think the south messed up. i think the flag is a symbol to proudly tell everybody, hey i messed up.
i love the south dont get me wrong. but starting a civil war was a bad bad power assessment.
pride cometh b4 a fall.
i know i know i am a lousy southerner but i am on a learning curve.
work with me
stephen s
san diego ca

Old 09-29-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Ah, but where's the single malt, lass?
The only malt *I'VE* been passing around was here. But you are more than welcome to it. LOL. Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 06:02 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,391,361 times
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but this thread is ridiculously long, so I don't know if I can go through it all just now...

The Confederate flag that you see most often, and that once flew from the dome of the SC State House, is not the flag of the CSA. It's not even the battle flag of the CSA, as some claim. It's a naval jack. A naval jack 100+ miles from an ocean. Lovely.

The CSA battle flag, like the naval jack, is a St. Andrew's cross, but the battle flag is square while the naval jack is rectangular. The confederates opted against using the actual flag of the CSA, the "Stars and Bars" (though some mistakenly apply that name to the battle flag/naval jack), because the flag was too similar to the US flag.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:06 PM

Quote:
I'm sure this has been pointed out, but this thread is ridiculously long, so I don't know if I can go through it all just now...

The Confederate flag that you see most often, and that once flew from the dome of the SC State House, is not the flag of the CSA. It's not even the battle flag of the CSA, as some claim. It's a naval jack. A naval jack 100+ miles from an ocean. Lovely.

The CSA battle flag, like the naval jack, is a St. Andrew's cross, but the battle flag is square while the naval jack is rectangular. The confederates opted against using the actual flag of the CSA, the "Stars and Bars" (though some mistakenly apply that name to the battle flag/naval jack), because the flag was too similar to the US flag.
It has been pointed out, NUMEROUS times...some are just too stubborn to listen.

When you have time you might want to read thru the rest of the thread. Some of us have tried to educate and enlighten. Others hold on to stubborn beliefs that have no basis in historical fact.

How this thread ends will be anyone's guess. Liz

Old 09-29-2007, 06:07 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
As a symbol of treason and disloyalty to the United States, it should be discouraged.

The only thing worse than calling for a ban of the American flag in public forum is the display of the confederate flag in public forum.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:16 PM

537 posts, read 441,539 times
It is not a symbol of treason or any other thing. It is a symbol of Independence though. That would be something that many in this thread have no idea about. If you think it is a symbol of treason and such then you have to also think that the American flag in all of its glory is also a symbol of treason since Jefferson and the rest of the founding fathers were willing to commit treason for the Indepedence of this once great country. You see, you see it the way you want to see it and not the way it truly was and/or is.

I will display the Confederate Flag wherever I damn well please and I hope that it upsets the likes of so many of you that have no real understanding about it or the ar for Southern Independence. Learn your history before you condemn people for something you have no understanding about. I am half Apache and still proudly display the Confederate Flag because I was raised in Missouri and luckily I got an education, something many in here could use. I also proudly display the American Flag and my Tribal Flag. Don't like it? Move the hell out of the country then because it is against our Constitution for you to keep saying that people should not be allowed to display a flag that is part of the history of this country. Personally, I wish the South would have won and stayed independent from the damn Yankees and all of their LIES and liberalism and PC crap ways. BTW, this has nothing to do with racism, as so many of you think because when you say that it shows your lack of education about that time in our history.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:27 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veiled Prophet
It is not a symbol of treason or any other thing.
TREASON. The ORIGINAL ANTI-AMERICANISM. DISLOYALTY TO THE UNION.

Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies