Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2007, 09:57 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art1979 View Post
"Bill Sherman of Lancaster, OH."
Ugh!!! That's one aspect of Lancaster's history I'm NOT proud of...

Old 10-01-2007, 10:07 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VAFury View Post
The point isn't the reason why the government is seen as intrusive. It's simply that it is. That was the point in the DOI, not "Hey.... You can't tax us!!!" It was that if you deem the government is overstepping it's bounds you not only have the right, but the DUTY to overthrow it...

I'm guessing that secession was probably preferrable to ALL parties rather than an attempted coup, but it's the same in principle...
Give me a government that "oversteps its bounds" by seeking to ban the definition of people as chattel, every time.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 10-01-2007 at 10:38 AM..

Old 10-01-2007, 10:37 AM

236 posts, read 442,101 times
I am from California and we fly the State flag. What is the difference between the Californian flag and the confederate flag? I also believe it depends on what you believe. Are you white supremacy or just proud of your herritage? I say fly the flag with pride.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:00 AM

646 posts, read 1,788,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinasgt2005 View Post
I am from California and we fly the State flag. What is the difference between the Californian flag and the confederate flag? I also believe it depends on what you believe. Are you white supremacy or just proud of your herritage? I say fly the flag with pride.
I think the problem is that when people see the Confederate flag they will interpret that differently than when they see the CA state flag for example.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:02 AM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,916 times
Quote:
What is the difference between the Californian flag and the confederate flag? I also believe it depends on what you believe. Are you white supremacy or just proud of your herritage? I say fly the flag with pride.
The Confederate flag under discussion is the battle flag.

It isn't the Flag of the CSA. The three approved flags of the CSA are below. And while most people would not have an issue with someone privately displaying one of these flags, the battle flag is the one that seems to draw the most ire.

But then again, people fly other battle flags without drawing this much discussion, why this flag.

Battle Flags of the America

One of the most famous of those is the Gadsden Flag.

WWII Submarine Battle Flags

Historical Military Flags

It's just this ONE flag (the battle flag of the CSA) that gets people all riled up. Liz
Attached Thumbnails
The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it?-800px-csa_flag_4.3.1861-21.5.1861.svg.png   The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it?-800px-confederate_national_flag_since_mai_1_1863_to_mar_4_1865.svg.png   The Confederate Flag - how do you feel about it?-800px-confederate_national_flag_since_mar_4_1865.svg.png  

Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 AM

99 posts, read 198,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd7I4 View Post
Sometimes you just gotta go with common sense, enough with quoting obscure treaties and clauses, taking subtexts out of context, looking at this or that sentence, and so forth. If this was a court case the courts of our nation would say this was settled with the civil war, "common law" rulling saying it was unlawful for a state to suceed. Case dismissed.
In your rush to play attorney, rule and then dismiss the case, methinks you might have overlooked the opinion given by the Chief Justice of The Supreme Court regarding the potential of trying Lee for treason and the states, in effect, for seceeding. He opined it was a useless exercise to consider and would be doomed before it got out of the blocks.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,943,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Planter View Post
what freedoms are passing us by? I'm not trying to be deceitful, I just want to understand your statement.
States rights is one of them, however , its our basic rights that I refer to. habeas corpus, Fisa violations, Geneva Convention,freedom of the press,the list goes on.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:54 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,570,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post

But then again, people fly other battle flags without drawing this much discussion, why this flag.
Because this flag is profitable.

Funny, I work for one of the most "diversity" oriented companies in VA, and in an area where an employee was recently fired for failure to remove a flag decal from his personal vehicle. When I was in northern VA, I flew the stars n' bars (first national) in my shop, and only those with a bit of history knew that it wasn't a Betsy Ross.

Old 10-02-2007, 04:07 AM

76 posts, read 209,345 times
Actually, the Confederate Flag as it is know, the stars and bars, was never approved by the Confederate Congress. It is something that Lee came up with. As a "battle flag" it is now ment to evoke emotion rather than pride as is evidenced by those who fly it who have no ties to the Confederacy. If someone wants to fly a Confederate Flag they should fly a flag that was official. If someone can direct me to the legislation from the Confederate Congress that approved it, please let me know. Flying the stars and bars indicates a lack of knowledge of history. (Though if someone can point to the legislation, I will admit my lack of knowledge.)

Old 10-02-2007, 04:23 AM

76 posts, read 209,345 times
In The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government by Jefferson Davis he gives his constitutional arugement for leaving the Union, Amendent 10. May make sense, may not. Though I am glad they Confederay lost and may be one of the few people in Richmond who actually have a picture of Lincoln in their house (for which even now I have been called a traitor) there is a legal point he makes. As a native Southerner, I am truly glad the South lost, however; I would have been hung.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies