Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 02:29 PM

100 posts, read 101,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
Democrats were popular in the South because Lincoln was a Republican. When LBJ, a Democrat, supported the Civil Rights movement they switched to the Republicans. It’s more complex now because of the rise social conservatives, who weren’t a large voting block before the 80s, but party affiliation was very racist.
Wow that actually makes a lot sense now.

It's so sad (and pathetic) that people would leave a party just because the government wanted to give equal rights a group of Americans that should have had those rights long time ago.

I wonder how the Republican party would have been like today if they didn't pander to that racial hatred.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbous Moon View Post
Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

--Lee Atwater, Republican strategist

What do you think the Republican Party would be like today if Nixon never pandered to that racial hatred?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,531,260 times
The South is more bible-belt, God, country and apple Pie, sort of thing, seems to me. Isn't it that the faith in God and extreme Patriotism for our country, "as founded" what has made the South be more GOP?

I'm a proud (not in a bragging way) Native Texan and yes, most of my family, if not all, is conservative and GOP, though by default, lately. Friends-I have some Dem. friends but they are the old-time, Dem, more of a liberal way of doing business, and they do hold some of my values, at the same time.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:34 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
What do you think the Republican Party would be like today if Nixon never pandered to that racial hatred?
We will never know since the tea party ignited the southern strategy all over again and the republicans swallowed it hook line and sinker.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:37 PM

8,145 posts, read 6,535,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
The South is more bible-belt, God, country and apple Pie, sort of thing, seems to me. Isn't it that the faith in God and extreme Patriotism for our country, "as founded" what has made the South be more GOP?

I'm a proud (not in a bragging way) Native Texan and yes, most of my family, if not all, is conservative and GOP, though by default, lately. Friends-I have some Dem. friends but they are the old-time, Dem, more of a liberal way of doing business, and they do hold some of my values, at the same time.
Are you seriously not going to mention race as the main factor? Are you going to put in ""as founded and not state what that means? As founded meaning what exactly please? And don't try the states right BS. If thats it what states right exactly are you referring to?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:40 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
it happened when the poor white man believed that thru education his son would become a rich white man.
so why would a rich white man, his son, stoop to do manual/blue collar labor like his grandfather did? that is what democrats do. join the elite rich party, GOP my boy, your son will soon be rich.
i mean if he ever gets off the couch and gets a job.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:42 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,847,343 times
The real trigger was Democratic support for the Civil Rights Act of 1964. After Lyndon Johnson signed it, he told an aide, "We [the Democrats] have lost the South for a generation."

This bill resulted in many southern Democrats switching to be Republicans.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:43 PM

4,035 posts, read 10,299,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
But what about Democrats like Woodrow Wilson? He was a southerner, a Democrat, and very progressive on economic and international issues. In fact, he implemented the gradual federal income tax that we have today (which itself is called a progressive income tax). His racial views and attitudes were in line with most southerners at the time, however.

And what about Republicans like Calvin Coolidge? He was a northerner, a Republican, and very conservative on economics (he was a Laissez-faire, free-market President) and US international involvement (he wanted as a little involvement as possible). I admit he was very liberal on the race issue (he demanded equal rights for blacks and native Americans; also wanted the federal government to work to bring the races together).
I’m 38 and I can remember a time when there were lots of liberal (or at least comparatively liberal) Republicans and very conservative Democrats. The parties started becoming polarized in the 80s. Someone like Perry is off the charts and would never have been a serious candidate until recently.

I think it’s due to: (1) the rise of the social conservatives who really changed the platform of the Republican party; (2) the extreme tax-adverse ideology perpetuated by people like Grover Norquist (who is far to right of even Reagan and Alan Greenspan), and (3) the success of Clinton and Obama in bringing the Democrats to the center.

This final point cannot be overlooked. The Republicans have no choice but to be to the right of the Democrats. Obama took the Republican (Nixon/Romney) health care plan and passed it off as his own. It’s a Republican plan, but Republicans would have nothing to run on if they supported it. It’s the opposition’s job to oppose, so they end up trying to destroy their own ideas.

Old 11-10-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
I’m 38 and I can remember a time when there were lots of liberal (or at least comparatively liberal) Republicans and very conservative Democrats. The parties started becoming polarized in the 80s. Someone like Perry is off the charts and would never have been a serious candidate until recently.

I think it’s due to: (1) the rise of the social conservatives who really changed the platform of the Republican party; (2) the extreme tax-adverse ideology perpetuated by people like Grover Norquist (who is far to right of even Reagan and Alan Greenspan), and (3) the success of Clinton and Obama in bringing the Democrats to the center.

This final point cannot be overlooked. The Republicans have no choice but to be to the right of the Democrats. Obama took the Republican (Nixon/Romney) health care plan and passed it off as his own. It’s a Republican plan, but Republicans would have nothing to run on if they supported it. It’s the opposition’s job to oppose, so they end up trying to destroy their own ideas.
WOW thanks for all of this. I admit I am a bit of a nerd when it comes to political history LOL. Like I said before, it's very sad that the South changed party affiliations overwhelmingly just because of race. I thought it was over a more significant issue (like taxes, individual liberties, cultural changes etc.). No one gets to choose the color of their skin and it's sad that people continue to divide themselves over something we don't choose for ourselves.

Old 11-10-2011, 03:35 PM

1 posts, read 1,169 times
I actually wrote a paper on this in college. It first started as a result of Roosevelt's "New Deal" policies in addition to the fact that the democratic party for the first time actually began to court the "black vote," as a way to win elections. African americans at the time were increasingly put off by what was coming out of the "party of lincoln" at that time and beyond so you began to see a shift.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies