Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 05:00 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,955,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
Race. President Johnson(Democrat) backed the civil rights movement and then Nixon(republican) used the southern strategy to tell the southern white men we are for you and all your racist beliefs. Its clear as a bell. strom thermund the ultimate racist hypocrite is the best example. Just follow his bio and see it all layed out. It was racial hatred of blacks that caused it and its that same group that is the so called tea party now.
As a southerner, I would say this is about right. Civil rights and affirmative action. Conservative democrats did not like the stand of mainline democrats on these two issues, so they switched Republican.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:04 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,137,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
I was talking to a neighbor of mine (an older guy) who grew up in the South and he told me that his father and grandfather "would never have voted Republican if their lives depended on it." He said during his time, people in the South hated Republicans and almost all of them were Democrats.

I took a politics course in college and discovered that this was absolutely true. The Democratic Party controlled southern politics for more than a 100 years. Democrats' control of the region was referred to as the "Solid South" and they controlled the governments in those states at every level (i.e. state and local).

When you look at the voting patterns of the South now, the region votes heavily Republican. In fact, most (if not all) southern states are hard-red Republican states. What exactly caused this political change? How can a region support a party for over 100 years and just completely leave that party in such a short period of time?
Two things happened that reversed the polarity of the two main political parties. The Lily-White Movement & the Southern Strategy. Once you read up on the history of the new Republican Party you’ll understand why most racists are republican hell bent on stopping any type of progression.

Lily-White Movement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Southern strategy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-10-2011, 05:10 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,652,155 times
For the life of me, I don't know why the South would vote for the anti-government, anti-diversity, anti-civility party. Why would ol' Hank become Republican # 1? Could it have something to do with racism? Nah -- best not to call a *spade* a *spade* because then someone will accuse me of playing the race card.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:46 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUDE DUDE View Post
I was talking to a neighbor of mine (an older guy) who grew up in the South and he told me that his father and grandfather "would never have voted Republican if their lives depended on it." He said during his time, people in the South hated Republicans and almost all of them were Democrats.

I took a politics course in college and discovered that this was absolutely true. The Democratic Party controlled southern politics for more than a 100 years. Democrats' control of the region was referred to as the "Solid South" and they controlled the governments in those states at every level (i.e. state and local).

When you look at the voting patterns of the South now, the region votes heavily Republican. In fact, most (if not all) southern states are hard-red Republican states. What exactly caused this political change? How can a region support a party for over 100 years and just completely leave that party in such a short period of time?
Civil Rights legislation in 1964 was pushed through by the Democrats. The racist element of the Democratic party migrated to the republican side. Strom Thurmond was one of the notables.

The movement laid the groundwork for Nixon's Southern Strategy. Harry Dent taught Lee Atwater who taught Karl Rove how to play the race card in an election. In 2008, McCain was shot out of the saddle in South carlina by the whisper campaign from the Bush camp claiming that McCain had a black child.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:55 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,038 times
It has to do with the democrat party being taken over by the northeast and west coast liberals. Their ideas of how to run the country do not mix well with southerners who value self sufficiency. Was FDR a Republican? No, so why the argument that dems were repubs until the civil rights movement? The argument of southern strategy does have some truth, no question, but it is far more than that.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:05 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,186 times
Quote:
Everyone knows that race has long played a decisive role in Southern electoral politics. From the end of Reconstruction until the beginning of the civil rights era, the story goes, the national Democratic Party made room for segregationist members — and as a result dominated the South. But in the 50s and 60s, Democrats embraced the civil rights movement, costing them the white Southern vote. Meanwhile, the Republican Party successfully wooed disaffected white racists with a “Southern strategy” that championed “states’ rights.”
It’s an easy story to believe, but this year two political scientists called it into question. In their book “The End of Southern Exceptionalism,” Richard Johnston of the University of Pennsylvania and Byron Shafer of the University of Wisconsin argue that the shift in the South from Democratic to Republican was overwhelmingly a question not of race but of economic growth.
The Myth of ‘the Southern Strategy’ - New York Times

Bustin' narratives, 'sploding heads.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:06 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
It has to do with the democrat party being taken over by the northeast and west coast liberals. Their ideas of how to run the country do not mix well with southerners who value self sufficiency. Was FDR a Republican? No, so why the argument that dems were repubs until the civil rights movement? The argument of southern strategy does have some truth, no question, but it is far more than that.
I have lived in South Carolina for 52 out of my nearly 60 years. My grandmother was quite active in politics, and believe me, 1964 was the turning point.

That was the year that a local BBQ merchant named Maurice Bessinger hung a sign in his dining room in Columbia that said "The federal government say we have to serve ******s, but every dime we get from them is donated to the "Ku Klux Klan". You could barely get in the door after that. His greatest hero was Lester Maddox and the Pickrick Drum Stick.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:14 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Actually, I always thought old south southerners liked being "self sufficient" so they could enslave, lynch, and oppress blacks without being called out on it. Those things didn't have quite the same appeal in New England, you know. Now they like being self sufficient for other reasons...at least, I'd like to think so.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:17 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I have lived in South Carolina for 52 out of my nearly 60 years. My grandmother was quite active in politics, and believe me, 1964 was the turning point.
Anyone who has a basic understanding of recent American history has got to see that 1964 was a turning point, whether you're from the north or the south.

Old 11-10-2011, 06:59 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,845,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Actually, I always thought old south southerners liked being "self sufficient" so they could enslave, lynch, and oppress blacks without being called out on it. Those things didn't have quite the same appeal in New England, you know. Now they like being self sufficient for other reasons...at least, I'd like to think so.
Actually, you just wanted to make an inane statement about southern racism that had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted. I would appreciate you not using my posts to project hatred. You are welcome to discuss what I posted rationally. We are all Americans no matter who we vote for, not enemies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies