Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2011, 08:50 PM

674 posts, read 698,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
If AIDS were part of the problem, they would be criminalizing heterosexuality, since that's the overwhelming cause of HIV in Africa and the rest of the world.
Thank you for pointing that out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
You may be right about "in Nigeria" but no way does anyone know who is the biggest cause of passing AIDS in our country. Too many carry it without going to the doc and being tested. It's not wise to believe anyone that claims to have huge things like this documented in numbers. My gay friends have always been heavily, more promiscuous than my straight friends and very open about the fact, too. True, though that one of them married and had three kids before he died of his AIDS.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:57 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
You may be right about "in Nigeria" but no way does anyone know who is the biggest cause of passing AIDS in our country. Too many carry it without going to the doc and being tested. It's not wise to believe anyone that claims to have huge things like this documented in numbers. My gay friends have always been heavily, more promiscuous than my straight friends and very open about the fact, too. True, though that one of them married and had three kids before he died of his AIDS.
Statistically in this country, gays have the same number of lifetime sex partners as heterosexuals.

While the media and stereotypes portray gays as being more promiscuous, statistics don't seem to back it up.

I work with a lot of gay people. A couple of the young ones are promiscuous or relatively normal compared to straights. The older one's are in 20+ year monogamous relationships.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:53 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I'm sure you have never made a pronouncement against the way Saudi Arabia treats its women?

I bet before or after the invasion of Afghanistan or Iraq, you never stated anything along the lines of, "the oppressive dictator needs to be removed...," or "The Taliban oppresses women and girls..."

?
Nope, but you are free to check all my posts.

Their country, their laws.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,258,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Statistically in this country, gays have the same number of lifetime sex partners as heterosexuals.

While the media and stereotypes portray gays as being more promiscuous, statistics don't seem to back it up.

I work with a lot of gay people. A couple of the young ones are promiscuous or relatively normal compared to straights. The older one's are in 20+ year monogamous relationships.
Gay people are more promiscuous but it has more to do with the fact that in many places, the only way gay people have to meet other gay people is in bars or online, which both encourage promiscuity. The heterosexual bar scene is just as promiscuous, but straights have it easier as there are many venues other than bars/clubs to meet people. The fact gay people are marginalized is the reason they are so much more promiscuous, especially the younger ones. Most gay couples that have been together 20+ years are people you won't find at your local gay dance club.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:36 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,458,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
You missed the point....I'm pointing out Nigeria has serious problems that need addressing....it has more cases of AIDS than the United States which has a much larger population.

I already mentioned South Africa has an even worse infection total.

Demonizing Gays will not help the problem and it is Heterosexual transmission that causes the prevalence of AIDS there.

Most HIV cases worldwide are female.....that's my point.

Your last statement is irrelevant HIV does not care IF you are married/female or straight........you mean you don't care about the high rate of infection as long as it does not affect you?....Nice attitude!
You realize that at one time in the United States before it went worldwide, before women and heterosexuals were affected, before the drug users succumbed to it, and the hemophiliacs -- it was a plague among homosexual men and they didn't have a name for it.

I don't care what it morphed into because it spread to the rest of the world and heterosexuals, it didn't begin that way at all.

NBC's Earliest Report on AIDS 1982 - YouTube

Old 12-01-2011, 11:35 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,340,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DahomeyAhosi View Post
1. The link that you provided says absolutely nothing about black Africans being intellectually inferior. It is simply an abstract that indicates what guidelines should be used in tests on intelligence levels between different groups. Did you even read it?

2. Have you met that "African" man? Let me know about your conversations together and how one individual's behavior can be extrapolated to a whole continent (over 1 billion people). This is just as absurd as me bringing up Jeffrey Dahmer or American's love for the hero in the Silence of the lambs and trying to make some blanket statement about that by extending those sick characteristics to all Americans. Your generalizations are both unfounded and unwarranted.

3. You're right. Africans have no one culture. We have the most ethnically diverse continent on the planet. We have a plethora of cultures and as someone who has very little in common with either Europeans or Arabs, I can assure you that, once again, your conclusions about "all Africa" are juvenile. We still speak our own languages, our values are relatively intact, and our spiritualities are also very strong in non-Muslim areas. African "Christians" usually perform a high degree of synchretism. And then there are millions of heathens like me who still practice our very own spirituality. By the way those spiritualities were exported and now a high number of non-blacks want a part of what we have. Check out your fellow whites as they seek to include our spirituality. And hey no one had to colonize or kidnap them to make it happen....

Bruce Silverman - Soul Work

White voodoo « PEASANTS

4.So there was a hate crime in Uganda. Oh wow I think I heard about a couple of those over here also committed by people who claim to be pious. What a surprise that both practice Christianity....a religion imported by Europeans!

5. Thanks for that article. Tanzania sounds like a great place to visit. Yes right after saying our cultures are gone you admit "witchcraft" is still prevalent. Interesting contradiction. Anyway "witchcraft" is also how ignorant ethnocentrists refer to my sprituality but I'm proud that our traditional spiritualities are still alive and vibrant. Most African countries have formally recognized traditional associations where shamans and other doctors gather and share information. No amount of demonizing by people like you will make my resolve falter. I respect my own ancestors first and foremost. And I think that is at least one thing we both agree on.

And yes most of Africa needs a real change. We need to get back on the path of honoring our own ancestors and stop attempting to mimick Europeans. Modern institutions that bear our reflection is a part of the way to halt the endless dependency on foreign aid and bitter internal conflicts. But we both know you're not too concerned either way.
2) No, what I am saying is nothing similar at all to comparing a man such as Jeffrey Dahmer to Americans as a whole. Jeffrey Dahmer was one man acting on his own volition. He was alone and no one supported him.

In Africa, on the other hand, whole groups of "Jeffrey Dahmers" will band together and commit the most horrid acts of Savagery known to man. Rwandan Genocide - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Nigeria violence: Muslim-Christian clashes kill hundreds - CSMonitor.com
Congo Rape Crisis: Study Reveals Shocking New Numbers - The Daily Beast

Yes, I will generalize Africans. With the despicable amount of widespread violence that goes on over on that continent, it is NO less than what they deserve.

3) So Africa has so many unique cultures. Yes, cultures of violence, and xenophobia, and irresponsibility! Perhaps more should be done to shed these cultures of Africa that you speak of. They clearly aren't doing the people there any good. As far as the culture being exported......I don't know a single white person that practices traditional African religions. I'm not saying there aren't any, and those people should be free to do so, but there numbers are negligible. The number of innocent gays and lesbians that would be critically affected by Nigeria innacting a barbaric law such as this could number in the dozens of millions, being that Nigeria's population is so large.

4) Hate crimes happen in Africa far more than they do in America, particularly against gays and lesbians. Its not just against LGBT over there either, but also against different tribes, different countries, different religions. Hell, that one link I posted above of ONE incident FAR exceeds all the deaths that have happened to Muslims in America due to hate crimes.

5) Tanzania being a great place to visit? lol. If you say so. I won't be going to a backwards place like that. As far as the witchcraft thing goes, I would have no problem with it if it didn't imply pain and suffering onto others. Witchcraft in Africa often includes the consumption of parts of the human anatomy. It also frequently involves torture and rape. I hope whatever witchcraft you practice doesn't include these barbaric acts. It is this exact superstition that adds to the continent's ravaged social landscape.

Your ancestors are dead! They are no good to you! Until Africa stops throwing all of their hope into dead relatives, spirits, or magical fairies in the sky, and realizes that only through realistic venues (such as education, hard work, and respect for other humans!) can they improve their lives, their livelihood is going to suck!

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You realize that at one time in the United States before it went worldwide, before women and heterosexuals were affected, before the drug users succumbed to it, and the hemophiliacs -- it was a plague among homosexual men and they didn't have a name for it.

I don't care what it morphed into because it spread to the rest of the world and heterosexuals, it didn't begin that way at all.

NBC's Earliest Report on AIDS 1982 - YouTube
The first people to die from AIDS in America were Haitian immigrants. Not gays or lesbians. It definitely did not "morph" at all. Back when scientists were refering to AIDS as GRID, thousands of heterosexuals were dying of the disease unknown the the scientific community. Most of these undocumented deaths occurred in Africa.

And the disease entered humans through the hunting of Chimpanzees who carry the much similar SIV virus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simian_...ficiency_virus

Nothing gays did have anything to do with HIV entering the human population. Blame the hunters who were eating monkeys.

HIV's path out of Africa: Haiti, the US then the world

Old 12-01-2011, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
How AIDS is a bigger disaster then the genocide that has been occurring in Darfur, Rwanda and the extermination of the South African Boers is beyond me...

But then again, this is a gay related thread...
AIDS has killed more people than all of those conflicts combined, the vast majority of deaths being heterosexuals. Why would any of those incidents you mentioned be more important than AIDS?

Old 12-02-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
LMAO, earlier today I opened a couple of negative gay threads and one touched on Nigeria and their gays laws....

Almost all gay responders to my thread said they didn't care what happens to gays in Nigeria or in the rest of the world....

They were only concerned with "bigots in America"

Seems like you are alone in your feelings...

How does anything that goes on in other threads have anything to do with this one? Clearly, the posters in this thread do care, as there have been several people who have lambasted Nigeria's proposed law.

But yes, bigots in America would of course be our number one concern. This is the country in which we live and discrimination we face at home would be our number one concern.

But again. This thread is not about gay rights in America, nor is it about gay rights in other Muslim countries. It is about gay rights in Nigeria. Try to stay on topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies