Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times

Advertisements

I'm boycotting WM until Monday around noon. Don't need anything right now. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 06:54 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
WE can fix it by BOYCOTTING SLAVEMART untill they UNIONIZE. WE does not always mean the government. I can remember when people would be embarrassed to be seen going into a SLAVEMART, now they are fighting over the same crap. I haave never been in a SLAVEMART and at times drive 60 miles out of my way to avoid. Bring down #1 the rest will follow
Good luck with that Sport.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:55 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
So as I asked the other poster, what would you suggest as a fix for the problem?

Walmart is already exceeding federal minimum wage standards (which are arguably unconstitutional to begin with). Government has no authority to intervene nor should it have such authority.

What can you present as a better option than employees who feel they are underpaid seeking better jobs along with shoppers that oppose store policies shopping elsewhere and making the reasons for their refusal to patronize Walmart known to corporate executives?

If you're truly concerned about this take some personal actions that reflect that concern. Don't expect government to solve the problem for you.

I would suggest cracking down on Walmart's illegal union-busting practices, and allowing the workers to unionize.

Just as grocery workers are unionized.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:56 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Union-Busting how? In legally proven terms, not in hyperbole.

Old 12-11-2011, 06:57 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Wal-Mart Study (for stores in California)

Main Findings:
  • Reliance by Wal-Mart workers on public assistance programs in California comes at a cost to the taxpayers of an estimated $86 million annually; this is comprised of $32 million in health related expenses and $54 million in other assistance. Imagine the cost if they didn't have Walmart to employ them!

• The families of Wal-Mart employees in California utilize an estimated 40 percent more in taxpayer-funded health care than the average for families of all large retail employees. Walmart is much larger than the others, so it's reasonable.

• The families of Wal-Mart employees use an estimated 38 percent more in other (non-health care) public assistance programs (such as food stamps, Earned Income Tax Credit, subsidized school lunches, and subsidized housing) than the average for families of all large retail employees. Imagine the cost if they didn't have Walmart to employ them!

• If other large California retailers adopted Wal-Mart’s wage and benefits standards, it would cost taxpayers an additional $410 million a year in public assistance to employees. They don't.

Walmart is America's largest employer.....chew on that!

Old 12-11-2011, 06:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,415,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Wal-Mart Study (for stores in California)

Main Findings:
  • Reliance by Wal-Mart workers on public assistance programs in California comes at a cost to the taxpayers of an estimated $86 million annually; this is comprised of $32 million in health related expenses and $54 million in other assistance.

• The families of Wal-Mart employees in California utilize an estimated 40 percent more in taxpayer-funded health care than the average for families of all large retail employees.

• The families of Wal-Mart employees use an estimated 38 percent more in other (non-health care) public assistance programs (such as food stamps, Earned Income Tax Credit, subsidized school lunches, and subsidized housing) than the average for families of all large retail employees.

• If other large California retailers adopted Wal-Mart’s wage and benefits standards, it would cost taxpayers an additional $410 million a year in public assistance to employees.
I don't believe that California is representative of the United States. California is a welfare state. California is one of the few states that still
pays for dialysis for illegal immigrants even though they don't have the tax base to support the welfare.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Is Walmart somehow forcing people to work there against their will?

I'm not a Walmart fan or supporter but people have the option of seeking employment elsewhere if the wages at Walmart are not sufficient. If the company is unable to hire and retain decent workers at the wages they're offering they will have to increase their pay or close their doors.
I see it a bit differently than you. I think that some contracts are too much of a public nuisance to be legal. I don't like subsidizing the Waltons by paying for the upkeep of their workers. If their employees are on food stamps, as many of them are, that's a problem. That's cutting into my bottom line. That's wrong. If police have to patrol their parking lots, as they do, because they dont' hire enough security to keep crime away, that's a problem. I don't like paying for security for the Waltons' stores. There is a reason why they are so wealthy. It's because they are being subsidized by the rest of us.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:03 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,953,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I don't believe that California is representative of the United States. California is a welfare state. California is one of the few states that still
pays for dialysis for illegal immigrants even though they don't have the tax base to support the welfare.

Not a valid argument. Because other retail workers in California don't use food stamps and welfare services
nearly to the extent that workers at Walmart do.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:04 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Maybe Cisco Kid thinks 1.4 mill WM workers have better options, and work each day as a means of being charitable? (LOL)
My guess is he/she/it wants government to force Walmart to pay higher wages to unskilled workers. He's apparently unconcerned that such actions would do nothing to improve the workers lot in life as retailers would simply raise prices to compensate for their loss in profit were government to illegally take such actions.

The low wage employees would gain nothing as what little added pay they gain would be negated by the rising costs as a result of government intervention. In the meantime government would institute yet another costly and inefficient bureaucracy to mandate and enforce their intervention.

I'm rapidly becoming convinced some of the more vociferous liberals on this board won't be happy until we're paying $25.00 for a McDonalds cheeseburger in order to fund their quest for "social justice". It seems not to matter to many of them if said "social justice" will ultimately result in the downtrodden they purport to champion becoming even further burdened by an ever less valuable dollar.

More government is not the answer to any of our problems.

Old 12-11-2011, 07:06 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,950,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
. I don't like paying for security for the Waltons' stores.
You don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies