Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2011, 11:18 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
No, I'm not saying that employers are responsible for the quality of life for their employees. You get what I'm saying. I'm saying that WalMart currently gets away with paying less than market forces would allow for under "normal" conditions. Many of its employees rely on food stamps. I'm sorry. I don't care who you are. You're not going to work for less money than it takes to feed your children. If taxpayers weren't supplying these subsidies, employers would be forced to pay higher wages.

While "you" (a generic adult) won't work for less money than it takes to feed your children, children will do the work for cheap.

There is always a shadow labor force of non-breadwinners (students, SAHMs, retirees with inadequare Social Security checks) who will fill available vacancies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2011, 11:27 PM

1,435 posts, read 1,554,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
WE can fix it by BOYCOTTING SLAVEMART untill they UNIONIZE.
Finally, the true agenda comes out!! Unionize!! Yeah, so that corrupt union bosses can line their pockets more and send more pay-offs to pandering politicians!!!

Why not just get a job at a store that is already unionized?

Last edited by cmforte; 12-11-2011 at 11:37 PM..

Old 12-11-2011, 11:36 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I'm sure you know that you cannot trust businesses to always do the right thing. I agree with you that taxpayers are funding employees of Walmart. That's why Congress needs to raise the minimum wage and put an end to it.
Quote:
That's my preferred solution as well. Wages below subsistence wages end up costing tax payers too much money. In my opinion, it should not be legal. Businesses such as WalMart don't have a right to taxpayer dollars to sustain their workforce.
So, do you not think the taxpayers will end up paying even more when so many Walmart employees (and people who work at plenty of other places) lose their jobs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Therefore destroying any job that can not justify that wage.

Old 12-11-2011, 11:45 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
WE can fix it by BOYCOTTING SLAVEMART untill they UNIONIZE. WE does not always mean the government. I can remember when people would be embarrassed to be seen going into a SLAVEMART, now they are fighting over the same crap. I haave never been in a SLAVEMART and at times drive 60 miles out of my way to avoid. Bring down #1 the rest will follow
Good luck. I don't think "we" is going to really include anyone who would shop at Walmart in the first place.

You want unions at Walmart - good deal. How will you feel when the unions cause the company to have to lay off a bunch of employees? How will you feel if the unions cause the company to go bankrupt?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:21 AM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
While "you" (a generic adult) won't work for less money than it takes to feed your children, children will do the work for cheap.

There is always a shadow labor force of non-breadwinners (students, SAHMs, retirees with inadequare Social Security checks) who will fill available vacancies.
That's fine. If WalMart can find people to work for them who do not require public assistance to survive (a.k.a., my money), so be it. The problem is that WalMart is America's # 1 employer. They employ adults who have to support children. I don't think there is enough teenagers and retired folks in America to fill the ranks to keep this massive operation going. So, WalMart benefits from being able to employ adults in their prime for wages less than adults in their prime would normally work for.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
yeah, a minimum wage that no one can live on without going on welfare. the minimum wage is laughable.
The minimum wage is an entry level wage. That's all.

Have you accepted that Walmart isn't anywhere near the most profitable company?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:43 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,730,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
WestCobb, When did retail pay more than minimum wage plus a quarter or two? Not in my lifetime, that is for sure. Whether mom and pop, big box pre WM, or WM, its been minimum plus a quarter, maybe two for a good worker, for entry level retail non-supervisor spots.

Wage never changed whether a 17 year old earning dating money or a 55 year old with 3 kids.

Entry level skills = entry level wages.

Exactly correct. You are paid a wage based on your VALUE to the business. I bet the people who work the customer service desk earn more than the drones that stock shelves or clean the toilets.

Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM

59,086 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
With half of the children of WALMART employees getting their Health Care from the Government and Food Stamps while thw WALTONS pocket your money. It seems the taxpayer is paying
So, let's close Wal-Mart, fire ALL the people and they can get even MORE from the gov't (you and me).

Old 12-12-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
I would suggest cracking down on Walmart's illegal union-busting practices, and allowing the workers to unionize.

Just as grocery workers are unionized.
Wal-Mart is the largest because the offer the lowest prices. If you unionize they would have to raise their prices, hurting the low income people the most.

Sorry to break your bubble but, ALL grocery store employees are NOT union, and they are doing just fine.

Old 12-12-2011, 09:07 AM

Quote:
I see it a bit differently than you. I think that some contracts are too much of a public nuisance to be legal. I don't like subsidizing the Waltons by paying for the upkeep of their workers. If their employees are on food stamps, as many of them are, that's a problem. That's cutting into my bottom line. That's wrong. If police have to patrol their parking lots, as they do, because they dont' hire enough security to keep crime away, that's a problem. I don't like paying for security for the Waltons' stores. There is a reason why they are so wealthy. It's because they are being subsidized by the rest of us.
Please provide statistics to show Wal-Mart stores get MORE police surveillance then any other store chain. Plesa show the crime statistics at Wal-Mart stores.

I think your claims are b.s.

I'll bet you complain just as much when some of our military qualify for gov't assistance also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies