Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 01:16 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,532,526 times

Advertisements

There are tons of non-union jobs in Texas that pay quite well, and even very well. We are a non-union family of Texas, and one of many generations. My daddy became a corporate executive without any union ever able to get voted into it. The reason?

The company was so dang fine to its employees that they said no! to union dues. They did not NEED a union's help. All the days of daddy's life, as he worked for this one corporation his entire adult life, minus one stint in the Army.

As the country song goes, "God blessed Texas!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 01:17 AM

442 posts, read 540,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Why did millions leave unionized Europe for non-Union United States???
Last time I checked, a lot of Americans wanted to go back. Union Germany's economy is doing quite well and were it not a part of the EU would be doing VERY well.
Quote:
And why do unions treat the working man "scab" so horribly???
Last time I checked, standing up for the working man wasn't horrible treatment, it was fighting greedy corporate bosses.
Quote:
Why do unions claim credit for giving us the 40-hour work week when Endicott-Johnson (non-union) started it in the 1890s? They were the first to help employees with health care costs also. But that never stopped a union thug from claiming credit.
Source? Also, why are they thugs? You're calling the force behind the arsenal of democracy which powered us through WWII thugs? Such a patriot. Especially since they all had nice homes, high wages, and a much smaller income gap compared to their bosses.
Quote:
Why are heavily unionized states in the Midwest losing working age people by the hundreds of thousands while the non-union states in the South and West are gaining working age people?
Because corporate greed and business owners have no dignity and are selling out to the lowest bidder because they realize they can pay Americans next to nothing, therefore lowering EVERYONE's standard of living. You don't see a problem with this?
Quote:
Why is it a comapny like Volkswagon opened a plant in Chattanooga? Chattanooga doesn't have any skilled auto workers available. Detroit has thousands of unemployed autoworkers, supervisors and engineers that are desperate for work. Of course, Tennesseans aren't likely to vote for a union.
Two fun facts:
1. That location in TN was picked for the benefits package. Also, because they were the lowest bidder. If they could pay workers $1 an hour they could and you probably still wouldn't have a problem with it.
2. Cleveland, Ohio leads the nation in industrial manufacturing growth. It's a very unionized town.
Quote:
Thanks unions. You're actually making non-union folk in the South wealthy. Too bad it's at Midwesterners expense. Good job.
Non-union CEOs and business owners are becoming wealthy.

However, it's the factory worker, the call center employee, etc. as well as the burger flipper who adopts rich mommy and daddy's political standpoints which is what I'm guessing you are, that is having to accept a lower standard of living (similar to how companies offshore to China because they work for less) as a result. Enjoy your low wages while I enjoy a place where the median income is 60% higher and the cost of living is only 25% higher. Enjoy your non-union, no benefit job where you'll struggle to make ends meet in your shared apartment while I live in a comfortable home in St. Paul.

In fact, compare your life to mine, envy me, then ***** about it on the internet because you're bitter that you couldn't fit in with the society that has moved past your minimalist, rebellious ways. Use logic and reason, look at history in this nation (from non-Teatard sources, preferably academic journals which almost all consistently cite union companies for establishing the universal 40 hour work week as full time) when you're not too busy working 80 hours a week at Burger King to realize that you are wrong and the facts prove it.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Los Angeles and Las Vegas are big union towns. California has more manufacturing plants than any state in the country. It's damn hard to get a job in LV without joining a union.

Is minneapolis doing well? Tha's great. Good for them.

Make a trip to Cleveland. They aint doing too well. The place is falling apart.

According to your logic, you think it's better to have no jobs in a union town than lots of jobs in Texas. Thats how you come across anyway.
Actually, Cleveland has attracted 6.5 billion in city-proper investment, is doubling the size of CSU, and has redone the entire streetscape of the Euclid corridor.

Yes, Minneapolis is doing well. It's one of the most progressive and organized cities in the country.

California's manufacturing is largely automated.

Also, no. I think it's better to have a lot of high paying jobs than a lot of low paying jobs.

Then again I guess they don't invest much of those super-low taxes in Texas into teaching reading comprehension, basic economics, or logic.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:22 AM

Rick Perry and his Texas jobs boom: The whole story - Aug. 12, 2011

Old 12-26-2011, 01:31 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,511,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homiej View Post
Well the funny part is that to make up for the tax revenue of 1 Michigan autoworker lost, you'd have to hire 4-5+ minimum wage laborers from Texas.
So one union worker pays the same amount in taxes as 4-5 non-union workers? That's a great deal for a union guy. Did the unions work higher tax rates for their members in the last collective bargaining rounds?

I wanna join a union. That way I can pay the same amount in taxes and 4-5 non-union people. And of cousrse I gotta pay my union boss too. Doamn, what's the point of making more money when I'm just giving it all away?

Old 12-26-2011, 01:33 AM

Quote:
So one union worker pays the same amount in taxes as 4-5 non-union workers? That's a great deal for a union guy. Did the unions work higher tax rates for their members in the last collective bargaining rounds?

I wanna join a union. That way I can pay the same amount in taxes and 4-5 non-union people. And of cousrse I gotta pay my union boss too. Doamn, what's the point of making more money when I'm just giving it all away?
I'm comparing $30 an hour jobs to $7 an hour jobs. They make more so when they pay an equal (or larger) tax rate, they contribute more in taxes and pocket more in the process.

You have to be trolling. Either that or those low wages and therefore low taxes are providing schools which leave you without basic math skills as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:34 AM

Quote:
actually, cleveland has attracted 6.5 billion in city-proper investment, is doubling the size of csu, and has redone the entire streetscape of the euclid corridor.

lols. There still aren't any jobs there.

yes, minneapolis is doing well. It's one of the most progressive and organized cities in the country.

good for them.

california's manufacturing is largely automated.

so is the rest of america.

also, no. I think it's better to have a lot of high paying jobs than a lot of low paying jobs.

duh. Who doesn't.

then again i guess they don't invest much of those super-low taxes in texas into teaching reading comprehension, basic economics, or logic.

don't know how texas spends tax money. Never lived there.
g

Old 12-26-2011, 01:37 AM

Quote:
I'm comparing $30 an hour jobs to $7 an hour jobs. They make more so when they pay an equal (or larger) tax rate, they contribute more in taxes and pocket more in the process.

You have to be trolling. Either that or those low wages and therefore low taxes are providing schools which leave you without basic math skills as well.
LOLs. I grew up in Ohio. High taxes. Union teachers.

And either way you look at it you support high taxes. That's great. It pretty much tells me everything I need to know about your economic education.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest
lols. There still aren't any jobs there.
Except there is more high-wage job growth there than any individual Texas city or any other non-union state's city in the health, high tech, and manufacturing sectors. I'm guessing you're from Columbus or... *shudder* Meigs County.

Quote:
good for them.
So having the lowest unemployment of any large metro in America as a measure of success in a union-friendly state isn't something to strive for that shoots all of your crackpot arguments down the drain?

Quote:
duh. Who doesn't.
Obviously you because you're advocating that the loss of high wage jobs and the creation of ultra-low wage jobs with no benefits is a measure of success in non-unionized states.

Quote:
don't know how texas spends tax money. Never lived there.
That was mainly in response to the who, like his peers, is a laughing stock to the rest of the world, even those who make policy decisions in developing economies.

Last edited by CaseyB; 12-26-2011 at 04:16 AM.. Reason: name calling

Old 12-26-2011, 01:44 AM

Quote:

1. That location in TN was picked for the benefits package. Also, because they were the lowest bidder. If they could pay workers $1 an hour they could and you probably still wouldn't have a problem with it.

Fun fact: No one is forcing VW to pay more than minimum wage. But they are starting much higher than that anyway. But you're right. They would $1 an hour if they could.

In fact, compare your life to mine, envy me, then ***** about it on the internet because you're bitter that you couldn't fit in with the society that has moved past your minimalist, rebellious ways. Use logic and reason, look at history in this nation (from non-Teatard sources, preferably academic journals which almost all consistently cite union companies for establishing the universal 40 hour work week as full time) when you're not too busy working 80 hours a week at Burger King to realize that you are wrong and the facts prove it.

Endicott-Johnson started the 40 hour work week in the U.S. Ford Motor followed right after. They were both non-union. That was in the 1890s. Less than 3% of the workforce was union. There were very few laws that protected teh workers.

And wow. I never worked at BK. And I don't see anything wrong with people that work there, like you do. I work in manufacturing. Have for years now. And I could give a rat's ass what you make. It doesn't concern me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies