Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:04 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
the hebrew and christian bibles are both extremely sexist. as is the koran. I don't know why any woman would want to follow such stone age religions. why do they continue to be so prevalent in the modern world? they were all written by cavemen living in the stone age.
Not an "A" history student would be my guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:44 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
I'm Jewish. I reserve the right to condemn what these nuts are doing in the name of my religion. The Orthodox have no right to act this way. They've demanded women sit in the back of the bus just because they're women, attacked co-educational elementary schools and demanded that secular and more rational Jews agree to their demands and adopt their worldview.

What they're doing isn't culture or rules. It's sexism plain and simple.
What do you mean, they have "demanded" that others adopt their worldview? How have they "attacked" co-educational schools? Are they physically violent in their demands? Are these "attacks" you speak of, physical? Are they holding the women prisoners? You know, not everyone wants to live the same. Who are we to say they should? What business is it of ours? You say you are Jewish and don't agree with these ultra conservative Jews in Israel. Fine. Don't agree. Move to Israel and work within their system to change it if you like, but please don't expect the U.S. to intervene and try to impose our values on another country, if that is what you were implying. JMHO.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:54 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctrain View Post
What do you mean, they have "demanded" that others adopt their worldview? How have they "attacked" co-educational schools? Are they physically violent in their demands? Are these "attacks" you speak of, physical? Are they holding the women prisoners? You know, not everyone wants to live the same. Who are we to say they should? What business is it of ours? You say you are Jewish and don't agree with these ultra conservative Jews in Israel. Fine. Don't agree. Move to Israel and work within their system to change it if you like, but please don't expect the U.S. to intervene and try to impose our values on another country, if that is what you were implying. JMHO.
Um yes to everything.

They have attempted to bar the way of children attending co-educational schools. I know as a friend's child has put up with them at her local school and is furious about it. They have physically attacked some kids by throwing objects at them. They have lobbied the Israeli government to get their demands into law. They are extremist jerks who have been making headlines in Israel for months for their crazy actions.

Many Israelis, including several of my Israeli friends, are quite furious at them. When act like sexist pigs in the name of my religion you're darned right I will call them out for it.

Just as I don't have to move to Afghanistan or Iran to call out Islamic extremists, I see no reason why I should have to move to Israel to call out Jewish ones. Their values are sexism. That's of no value at all.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:36 PM

4,534 posts, read 4,930,400 times
yet another example of the cancer on humanity that is religion

Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
That's right, put her down because she's a woman. Stick up for the bigots.

People should be treated with respect the world over. Hiding behind a religion should not save you from the disdain of the world when you overstep the boundaries of common human rights.

If a people believed in slavery because it is a part of their religion, would you tell others to leave well enough alone? Would not we all have been in a better position if the US had intervened in Germany earlier during WWII?

This is our business. It is good that the world knows about injustices, especially when it tries to hide behind the cloak of religion.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:23 PM

3,064 posts, read 2,638,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
That's right, put her down because she's a woman. Stick up for the bigots.

People should be treated with respect the world over. Hiding behind a religion should not save you from the disdain of the world when you overstep the boundaries of common human rights.

If a people believed in slavery because it is a part of their religion, would you tell others to leave well enough alone? Would not we all have been in a better position if the US had intervened in Germany earlier during WWII?
People need to fight for their own respect. If you can't earn it yourself, maybe its not really wanted or deserved. This sounds nothing like the extermination of the Jews by Hitler, if that's what you're getting at.

This is not the business of the United States.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:52 PM

Quote:
People need to fight for their own respect. If you can't earn it yourself, maybe its not really wanted or deserved. This sounds nothing like the extermination of the Jews by Hitler, if that's what you're getting at.

This is not the business of the United States.
Oh, it's not our business because you pronounce it?
No ego problem there, eh?

Injustice is everyone's business.

Women are also mistreated in some Muslim countries and some Muslims in other Western nations are abusive toward women.

Should our papers not cover those stories, as well?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/28/wo...mc=globaleua22

'one night, the extremists came and removed all the public benches from the neighborhood, so that the women could no longer sit outside with their children in the street.'

This is madness, pure and simple!

Last edited by goldengrain; 12-27-2011 at 11:01 PM..

Old 12-28-2011, 12:47 AM

915 posts, read 1,190,665 times
As angering as this story is I have to remind myself that it is their country and they live by their rules. It seems the majority of the Israeli public agrees that this is outrageous as they are protesting against it and politicians who usually give in to the religious block have said they went too far.

Does it anger the OP to know that Saudi women cannot drive and many women in the Muslim world cannot travel without male guardianship?

Old 12-28-2011, 01:59 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,705,936 times
A friend of mine has recently visited Israel. He said that women who were considered by orthodox jews to be unwholesomely dressed are refered to as prostitutes, and are spat at in the streets.

There's also a campaign to ban women from singing in public. And there's a tv channel imploring Israeli's not to marry American jews because, American jews are incapable of real Jewish thinking, and are too soft.
Scarey isn't it.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:33 AM

'a woman bus passenger made headlines when she refused to comply with a demand from a Haredi man on the bus that she move to the rear.'

Shimon Peres condemns ultra-orthodox extremists as tensions escalate | World news | guardian.co.uk

These people are sexist bigots. Only a backward people would treat women and children in such a manner. No god would request such a thing. Shame!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies