Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:16 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times

Advertisements

Beware of generalities!
I'm an Idahoan, and Idaho is about as red as a state gets. But jobs here aren't easy to find, and wages are not generous.
There are definitely people who want to move here just because of the conservatism, but at the same time, several areas of Idaho, especially those with the most good jobs, are becoming more progressive than they have traditionally been.

Those who are thinking of moving to be in more conservative surroundings often think of Northern Idaho over Southern Idaho, but ironically, the north, despite it's conservative reputation, has more progressive voters than the south, according to the recent election results from the past 10 years.

Why is N. Idaho the area most thought of first? I think that more than anything, it's due to the Interstates. N. Idaho's Interstates go through the middle of some of the prettiest country up there, while down in S. Idaho, the Interstates go through some of the most barren country. Few prospective newcomers really don't know much about the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

16,911 posts, read 10,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas is a donor state.

And many blue states are recipient states.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005
New Jersey is the donor state

21,989 posts, read 15,716,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Texas is a donor state.

And many blue states are recipient states.

The Tax Foundation - Federal Spending Received Per Dollar of Taxes Paid by State, 2005
Many red states are recipient states.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:19 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Regarding the tax freedom day map, the difference is just two weeks or so. I don't think many people are willing to move house because of that difference.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Texas had a surplus while so many states were in the news weekly, back a couple of years ago because they were already in need of bailout. I'll never forget Glenn Beck having an audience of Texans, elected officials, judges, and other professionals, and one of their Senators beaming as he told how much of a surplus that Texas had, and was not in need of being bailed-out.
Texas gutted education, used the Stimulus to plug budget holes and has a huge budget deficit coming up. I almost hate saying this because I really want everyone to stay in Texas or move there.

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Texas gutted education, used the Stimulus to plug budget holes and has a huge budget deficit coming up. I almost hate saying this because I really want everyone to stay in Texas or move there.
Texas' budget problems pale in comparison to California's though.

Honestly, I don't understand why you think Texans are so terrible. Have you ever even visited Texas?

8,145 posts, read 6,532,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
If more people are moving to red states, I believe the only conclusion is that there is more freedom in the Red States and obviously, with Communism in the White House we have more folks concerned about Freedom, or the loss of than ever before.

Good news~
This is why you can never discuss anything on here

Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out if you don't spend money to educate the kids it will be much easier to insure that they will be conservative voters.
Actually, it's exactly the opposite. The least educated overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Look at education levels and political parties in the chart at the bottom, here:
Democrats Gain Edge in Party Identification | Pew Research Center for the People and the Press

Old 12-28-2011, 04:22 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,955,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
New Jersey is the donor state

New Joisey is a joke.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
I know that you are right. It seems we have a couple of blue state ignoramuses here. The red states actually have a better way of life all around. Some people can't see farther than their noses. LOL
Yes! Red staters, please stay where you are. It's awesome where you live, don't forget that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies