Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2012, 02:04 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,596,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Same-sex activity has existed for all time. The idea that people could actually be exclusively attracted to members of the same-sex for their entire life was not discovered until the 19th Century. So yes, gays have always existed, however, people didn't know what being gay meant until relatively recently.
I don't know if I believe that. I mean, clearly the church has condoned homosexuality for ages. But as far as the fact that people were born attracted to members of the same sex, I don't buy it. People aren't stupid and for a large part of history have never been stupid. I think that many people have realized, deep down, the same-sex attractions were not some abomination from satan but were something inborn that cannot be changed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2012, 02:05 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
No, it is not a myth. You are one of how many gays? How many generations of gays are alive, right now?

I'm in my mid-fifties and was priveleged to know gays before the "PC" movement existed. I know the truth, have had a regionally, well-known gay as a best friend, and known his family and the true story of his, too. He now talks as if he thinks he was "born gay" but being best buds, I know that he claimed for many years to have "turned gay at age 5."

No, not a myth at all. Not your personal experience? Good for you. That's all you've proven here.
Ignore the facts from studies all you like.

I also used to facilitate a gay and lesbian 'coming out' support group and worked as a crisis counsellor for a GLBT Counselling organization for several years. I met hundreds of gays and lesbians and knew their stories. Only a small handful were abused as children.

I currently work with mostly straight clients as a couple and family therapist and also know their stories. A similiar percentage were sexually abused as children.

This is also an area where I have read a lot of the literature and research over the years.

Just because you've known one or two gay people doesn't make you knowledgeable on the topic.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:07 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
More than likely the bible was just referring to male rapists, not homosexuals as many people understand the term today.
Every other use of that vague Greek word in literature seems to indicate it refers to some type of economic crime. Temple prostitution most likely, as that's what Philo believed it to be, and compared it to the Leviticus references also referring to pagan prostitution.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,778,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
I don't know if I believe that. I mean, clearly the church has condoned homosexuality for ages. But as far as the fact that people were born attracted to members of the same sex, I don't buy it. People aren't stupid and for a large part of history have never been stupid. I think that many people have realized, deep down, the same-sex attractions were not some abomination from satan but were something inborn that cannot be changed.
Well, most men in ancient cultures were married, even if they were supposedly gay or engaged in same-sex activity. Pederasty was extremely common in Sparta, but all the men also had wives/mistresses.

While some people may have been understood to only be attracted to the same-sex, the notion of Sexual orientation was still not known until modern science.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,312,478 times
It is not normal and not natural at all.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:13 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days-in-Florida View Post
It is not normal and not natural at all.

really.. i've never NOT been gay so being straight would seem not normal to me. never experienced it.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:14 AM

4,042 posts, read 3,530,444 times
Yeppers, go to a pro-gay website and find footnotes that support their claim that a considerable number of them were not molested in childhod, and go to a pro-conservative website and find just as much substantiation of gays having been molested in childhood.

Here is an interesting entry from JAMA and just one quote from there..

"The review also found that: "Abused [male] adolescents, particularly those victimized by males, were up to 7 times more likely to self-identify as gay or bisexual than peers who had not been abused."

Page, here...

Sexual Abuse: A Major Cause Of Homosexuality?

Old 01-01-2012, 02:16 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
Yeppers, go to a pro-gay website and find footnotes that support their claim that a considerable number of them were not molested in childhod, and go to a pro-conservative website and find just as much substantiation of gays having been molested in childhood.

Here is an interesting entry from JAMA and just one quote from there..

"The review also found that: "Abused [male] adolescents, particularly those victimized by males, were up to 7 times more likely to self-identify as gay or bisexual than peers who had not been abused."

Page, here...

Sexual Abuse: A Major Cause Of Homosexuality?

hmm.. you can talk to many gay people on here and in real life who were not molested by someone.

sorry, i don't have a mental illness no matter how much you want me to have one.

Old 01-01-2012, 02:21 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,389,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Lol, indeed! And if we are to look to the Bible for reference on the issue of Sodom and Gomorrah, we would appear to be more moral in offering our virgin daughters to strangers, rather than see them rape another dude.

Isn't the Bible fun!?
In the story, the people of Sodom were known for their inhospitable treatment of strangers (ie people who were different to them). Sounds like the true Sodomites are the anti-gay religious fundies.

HOSPITALITY - JewishEncyclopedia.com

Old 01-01-2012, 02:22 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,355,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Why on earth would 2 lesbians raise a boy as a girl? Unless he was born transgender?

You have some bizarre ideas about gays and lesbians.
Where would this proof be that anyone is born transgendered? proof not opinion.
You are the one who is bizarre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies