Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 05:55 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
I said being gay is perfectly fine and acceptable, but to say it's "natural" is pretty ridiculous.
How do you define natural? Doesn't natural mean "existing in nature" ?

Quote:
The primary reason men and women are put on Earth is to reproduce and keep the human species going. Two gay people cannot do that naturally. There's a reason why men and women have totally different anatomies.
Evolution doesn't work on individuals, so it's not a requirement for every human on earth to reproduce. Homosexuality increases the survival of animal species through things like increased clutch size, social bonding, extra caretakers for children, etc.

Quote:
As far as it being "normal", I can't classify something that only applies to maybe 5-10% of the population as normal. 5-10% of the population has probably served time in state prison, but would you consider serving time in state prison as "normal"? I certainly wouldn't.
If you define normal only as being common, then no, it's not normal. But then neither are blue eyes or high IQ and I don't see people throwing fits over those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 05:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 1,956,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNameOfGod View Post
Animals don't have a conscience. Murder and cannibalism is natural in the animal kingdom doesn't make it right.
Oh yes, the irresistable urge to compare consensual sex with slaughtering and devouring people -- thanks for your substantive addition to the conversation ...

Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
Anybody who defends homosexuality because it's observed in the animal kingdom is plain stupid..

Yes humans are animals...

Yes...animals have sex with the same sex...

Animals also.....

Kill for sport

they eat their own feces

They abandon their offspring...

So, ok, let's do that!
I've never heard anybody defend homosexuality because it's observed in the animal kingdom. I only see it used as a factual counterpoint said to refute people who claim that "homosexuality is not natural."

Old 03-05-2012, 06:00 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,484,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
Do you feel that it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural? Teachers, Parents... people with authority over children
Every teacher, parent and anyone with authority over kids should teach them that it is abnormal and definitly not natural and harmful.

AIDS is found in homosexuals at an extremely higher rate than in heterosexuals.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:04 PM

249 posts, read 803,705 times
I know the answer to this.
Yes, teach them that homosexuality is normal.
Then bring up some news reports about Catholic priests molesting little boys. That should help.
Then teach them that prostitutes serve a purpose is society.
Please, let them be children first. The bubble will burst soon enough. Let them have a 'normal' childhood. When they are older, you can tell them that Santa Claus is not real, but gay people are normal.
And I do not have a single thing against gay people, or Santa, I just think parents who dole out too much information way too soon are wrong, and they screw up their children.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:05 PM

566 posts, read 958,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How do you define natural? Doesn't natural mean "existing in nature" ?

Evolution doesn't work on individuals, so it's not a requirement for every human on earth to reproduce. Homosexuality increases the survival of animal species through things like increased clutch size, social bonding, extra caretakers for children, etc.

If you define normal only as being common, then no, it's not normal. But then neither are blue eyes or high IQ and I don't see people throwing fits over those.
What are you all worked up about? No one is throwing a fit; I'm simply saying it's not normal, just like having a 170 IQ is not normal or being sentenced to life in prison is not normal. Stop making more out of this than it is.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:14 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,121,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
No one is defending homosexuality because it's observed in the animal kingdom. They - WE - are defending it because we see no harm in homosexuality in and of itself, and there's at least a CHANCE people are born homosexual. In other words, it'd be (that S-word you used) to object to homosexuality.

Mention of the fact that it's found in the animal kingdom is typically in response to the claim that it isn't natural.

It's natural, as it can be observed in nonhuman animals.

It's justified (therefore defended) because no one can show how it's harmful.
Its a worry that this needs to be explained....

Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,393,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis agrotera View Post
Its a worry that this needs to be explained....
Indeed. We need a sticky entitled "Stuff you should know already"

Old 03-05-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Every teacher, parent and anyone with authority over kids should teach them that it is abnormal and definitly not natural and harmful.

AIDS is found in homosexuals at an extremely higher rate than in heterosexuals.
And by teaching your kids that homosexuals are unnatural, abnormal, sinful and harmful, all you do is help worsen the HIV/AIDS crisis.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midatlantic12 View Post
What are you all worked up about? No one is throwing a fit; I'm simply saying it's not normal, just like having a 170 IQ is not normal or being sentenced to life in prison is not normal. Stop making more out of this than it is.
But it is normal. Just because it's not the majority or dominant type doesn't mean it's abnormal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies