Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?
Yes 292 50.34%
No 256 44.14%
I am unsure 32 5.52%
Voters: 580. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:17 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,612 times

Advertisements

I'm honestly not quite sure how to handle this with my children. I tell them that I accept and love them and if they ever felt that they were interested in the same sex to know that I would always support them. I'm confident that my children know that I would be supportive if they ever had a need to "come out".

With that said, I personally don't believe that homosexuality is "normal". I don't think it's evil and or disgusting, but it is a deviation from the norm. IMO, "normal" suggests behavior that is typical. Homosexuality is not the typical/standard form of sexuality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 10:20 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,109,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Its no more normal then it is for people to be born with red hair.

Red hair is abnormal, and so is homosexuality.

I don't hear anyone saying we should prevent gingers from marrying one another though.

South Park - Gingers DO have Souls! - YouTube
Red hair in humans is normal.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:23 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Do you feel it is correct to teach children that homosexuality is normal and natural?

Do you feel that it's correct to teach children that robbing banks is normal and natural???
Do you feel that it's correct to teach children that apples are oranges?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roaddog View Post
And I agree, i also feel it's the parents job to pass on their beliefs to their children and no one else.
So it's up to the parents to teach children about neurobiology? What if the parents are uneducated about neurobiology?

Old 03-06-2012, 01:26 AM

Quote:
The comparison is really not that hard to figure out. As one of my teachers used to say, put your thinking cap on.
Clue. "Thinking caps" are not tin foil hats.

Old 03-06-2012, 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonlibrarian View Post
That was not the question.
The question is do you believe it is normal or abnormal to be homosexual.

If your child had dyslexia, would you just not do anything to correct it and tell them that it is just a normal thing to have dyslexia? Or would you try to fix it. It has nothing to do with if you would teach them to hate people with dyslexia.

That is the question being asked with homosexuality.
No person who is educated about sexual orientation is 'asking that question'.

And how do you propose to "fix" homosexuality given that all the evidence shows that sexual orientation isn't something that can be changed?

http://www.apa.org/pi/lgbt/resources...ientation.aspx

Old 03-06-2012, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Oh please. How is "disagreeing" with me - and I'm not talking about "disagreeing" with me in the sense of disagreeing with a position I hold, or an opinion I have - but actually "disagreeing" with ME: "disagreeing" with my existence, my humanity, the core component of my being that dictates how I form intimate relationships with other human beings - not hate?

Telling a gay person you "disagree" with homosexuality is similar to telling a black person you "disagree" with black skin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Handz View Post
No it isn't....because "black skin" is not carrying out actions through impulse.
Neither is homosexuality.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Everytime I see a post on homosexuality I say that I am going to stay out of it. The homosexuals have absolutely convinced themselves that their actions are normal and natural. Of course most normal people know that it is anything but normal and natural. I do not see anything coming out of these threads but the same old stuff over and over again.

Every one of these threads begin and end the same way. All of them have the same rhetoric. Nothing changes and nothing will. I guess if I was doing something against nature I would try and convince myself that it was natural.
Just admit it. You love gay people. That's why you always post on these threads. It's like the little boy pulling a little girl's pigtails because he likes her.

Old 03-06-2012, 02:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
That wasn't the question. The question was, what if a particular person WASN'T born gay, and there was some objective way to know for sure. Would you have a problem with them "becoming gay" later on?

If not, good. You understand what's important and what isn't. If so, why?

What could possibly lead you to believe I think it is harmful? I'm 100% FOR gay rights and people's right to be homosexual. Weighing how harmful/risky it is in and of itself vs. its benefits/neutrality is the ONLY perspective that makes sense, and you can calm down, because it does more to fight for acceptance of homosexuality than the question of how "normal" or "natural" it is. There ISN'T any harm/risk in being homosexual in and of itself, thus justifying it, while you and so many others waste time and effort arguing over whether people are "born gay"
Do you also think people have a "right" to be left-handed or black?

Do you think left-handedness or being black needs to be justified?

Old 03-06-2012, 02:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
its incorrect to teach that open sexuality is normal and appropriate. its is also an abuse of taxpayer funds.
What does that have to do with homosexuality?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies