Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2012, 01:20 PM

16,663 posts, read 15,654,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
it does not stop a woman from getting an abortion it does not stop the doctor from performing an abortion it does allow the patient to see what the procedure will effect. The law in no way stops the woman from choosing.
Pure BS. Every woman already knows this. You just want to punish her for getting pregnant. BTW, are YOU, personally, willing to pay for the sonogram? I think it is highly unfair to expect the pregnant woman to pay and, as a taxpayer, I don't think we should waste tax money on an unnecessary procedure, so I'm asking you to pay for it since you seem to think there is some positive value in doing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 01:22 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,641,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How in God's name can a coat hanger cause an abortion? How does it get through the cervix and mucus plug??
Neanderthal D&C.

No disrespect for Neanderthals intended.

BTW, you must be very young and/or not well read.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:26 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
How in God's name can a coat hanger cause an abortion? How does it get through the cervix and mucus plug??
how in god's name indeed. by sheer force. the thought is horrid isn't it? yet when abortion is not available women will go to extremes to not carry out an unplanned pregnancy. abortion must stay legal and safe.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:30 PM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Pure BS. Every woman already knows this. You just want to punish her for getting pregnant. BTW, are YOU, personally, willing to pay for the sonogram? I think it is highly unfair to expect the pregnant woman to pay and, as a taxpayer, I don't think we should waste tax money on an unnecessary procedure, so I'm asking you to pay for it since you seem to think there is some positive value in doing it.
Might know but has not visually seen

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
She did not lose her job b/c she was pregnant. She had to take time off and the job said they would hold her position. That's what is required by law. If she chose to take time off, that was her doing, she was not forced out of her job due to pregnancy.

Sure, lots of people's parents have died, but most of these who are having abortions DO have living parents, friends and they ALL have a baby daddy.
There is always a baby daddy, although as someone pointed out with the Iraq combatants, he may not be alive. He also may not be remotely interested in being involved in the pregnancy. Men are adults, too, with their own choices. The guy may choose to look the other way, literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I agree with you that this law is not something the state should be doing, but I disagree with the slippery slope logic.

Scott signs two more abortion bills into law | Florida Independent

The Florida legislation was signed into law. I'm not sure of the status of it in the court's system (obviously it was challenged, I can say this without looking it up).

What's really interesting is that the original judge ruled against the Texas law on First Amendment grounds claiming that it violated doctors' and patients' rights to free speech, not based on anything relating to medical procedure itself.
So you're saying the slippery slope is that this law will encourage other states to do the same, if it is upheld?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:35 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,003,671 times
Quote:
You're kidding, right?

Self-induced abortion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-11-2012, 01:36 PM

18,383 posts, read 19,008,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Might know but has not visually seen
you could apply that same thought to a belief in god. do you insist on a visual about faith? women do KNOW what it is to be pregnant, we do not need visual aids.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Essay - Doctor Recalls Abortion Complications Before Roe v. Wade - NYTimes.com

The familiar symbol of illegal abortion is the infamous “coat hanger” — which may be the symbol, but is in no way a myth. In my years in New York, several women arrived with a hanger still in place. Whoever put it in — perhaps the patient herself — found it trapped in the cervix and could not remove it. . . . Almost any implement you can imagine had been and was used to start an abortion — darning needles, crochet hooks, cut-glass salt shakers, soda bottles, sometimes intact, sometimes with the top broken off.

With the mod's forbearance, four sentences for those who don't want to face reality. Read the link for more horror.

Old 01-11-2012, 01:41 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
You've really never heard of coat hanger abortions?

Old 01-11-2012, 01:42 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,036,788 times
Quote:
OMG You are so good at doing research, why don't you find out how it is ILLEGAL to fire someone due to pregnancy status. If you have to take time off, you need to arrange it with your employer, not just not show up. THAT is what might get you fired, not b/c you are pregnant.

In the real world, people get fired illegally all of the time. How does that happen? They site a legal reason when they fire you. Missing too much work, work no longer up to standards, etc. They are not going to say, you are too old, you are too fat, or you are pregnant. Now, you hire a lawyer and try to PROVE IT.

I WOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN PREGNANT IF I DID NOT HAVE A HUSBAND! I also do not have my parents and friends to take care of me as we relocated cross-country right before I got pregnant. It can be done.

And if something had happened to your husband, who would have paid your bills and taken care of you when you were sick during your pregnancy? You said you couldn't work. So what would you have done? Asked your parents for help perhaps? Asked your Mom or one of your friends to come stay with you?

I do not live in Andrealand or fantasyland or whatever other rude comment you want to make. I live on planet Earth, where people are supposed to take responsibility for their actions.
And when a woman who experiences a BC failure decides that aborting is her best option, she is ALSO taking responsibility.

{BTW, several people here have commented on your naivete'. Your comments make it obvious.}
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies