Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 02:10 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,568,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by muleskinner View Post
Now that I can fully agree with as I can the rest of your post.

About 15 years ago I unfortunately found myself working in LA area near Compton running equip on a utility const. job for a week...I stopped in a small store with a African American fellow who was working with me(actually assigned by the company really just to keep me from wandering into the wrong area and getting killed) to buy my cigs the first night (talk about sticker shock)...the market was Asian owned I guess because that's all I saw with aprons on and I watched as the store owners workers,relatives or whatever they were followed every black customer everywhere they went inside that market and they were extremely rude to a couple of smaller kids as I remember...prices were unreal high...I got my smokes and boogied. I asked the guy I was with who in their right mind would buy from a place like that and he said they were basically held hostage by the Asians in that area due to no African American store owners in that neighborhood.

That really gave me an eye opener about how things work in an imperfect America....I don't know if it has changed in that neighborhood because I have been blessed and never had to go back to LA for anything,but I still remember it and even though they did not bother me personally I still had quite a bit of anger at them for the way they treated those kids.
I have to admit. That is a real problem in black communities. We need more black entrepreneurs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 04:28 PM

13,008 posts, read 18,940,984 times
I know that racism is still around, but thought it more subtle. I was shocked that anyone would be so blatant about it. The courts long ago ruled against such discrimination, even by a private company, is illegal.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:22 PM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why?
Do human rights not apply everywhere? I thought they are innate...
You can't build anything you want on your private land, either. You have to get a permit first if I am not mistaken.

No wonder blacks aren't good at swimming

The government guarantees you no rights. The amendments granted you certain "rights".

I assume you are thinking of the Declaration of Independence, which isn't an official document of these United States. Where we believe that all men were created equal, with the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness is granted to him by the creator.

But, as I said, this has nothing to do with the US constitution that was written and ratified in 1788.

Where is it written that a man or woman can't discriminate on their land and property?

I can tell you this, when I was in Detroit, there were certain neighborhoods in which I was not welcome after a certain time of day. And the only reason, was the color of my skin.

But do you know what I did? I didn't go down there, I waited until day time or until I had protection to work down there.

If I walked into a black club down there with my 6 foot tall redneck ass, what do you think would happen to me? Minding my own business I'd be assaulted, robbed, killed, or all three.

But if the owner wants to deny me entry, then thats his/hers business. I would respond and leave quietly, and quickly, and I wouldn't be back. They obviously don't want my business, why would I want to give my money to someone that doesn't want me there?

It is not the governments job to protect you from bigots and racists. There is a man down here in FWB with a sign, with rebel flags, and saying "Hussein Obama" and dark day for America, country stolen, etc. But you know what, thats his constitutional right, and he doesn't allow African Americans into his trailer park. But thats his business. I would never buy anything from him, or help him in anyway, but I'm not going to tell him what he has to do with his property. Maybe next time someone will want to take my right to tell who I have to allow on my property. And I don't want to allow racists and bigots into my place of business.

Last edited by Memphis1979; 12-14-2011 at 05:56 PM..

Old 12-14-2011, 06:02 PM

2,010 posts, read 2,374,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I can tell you this, when I was in Detroit, there were certain neighborhoods in which I was not welcome after a certain time of day. And the only reason, was the color of my skin.

But do you know what I did? I didn't go down there, I waited until day time or until I had protection to work down there.

If I walked into a black club down there with my 6 foot tall redneck ass, what do you think would happen to me? Minding my own business I'd be assaulted, robbed, killed, or all three.
I was doing DOT inspections on buses for Ravenswood school district in East Palo Alto a few years back and thought I saw a sign for a taqueria across the street, so at lunch I went to get a burrito. When I walked over there (after being asked if I wanted to buy some crack while crossing the street) and got to the doors, there were three different businesses and none of the doors were marked. I opened the one I thought was the taqueria and it instead was an old school barber shop with all black guys. They all stopped talking, turned and looked at me, and one of them said "you f'n lost white boy?", I said "yup", closed the door, went back and got my service truck and drove down to Togo's.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:41 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Because stupidity reins with the liberals.
Ahh, the irony.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:44 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,297,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Boohoo *tantrum* boohoo . Ignore list is for those who like to only hear "their side" of an argument to reinforce their own biased opinions. Whatevs, no skin off my back.
Interesting choice of phrase in a discussion of racism. Why no skin off your back - no one's been whipping you lately? Could it be no skin off your nose? You're fairly pugilistic in these fora. I'd think it would be more appropriate than the phrase you chose.

Or you could simply have declined to reply, since you don't care so very much.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:48 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
hating discrimination is NOT hating. it's hating evil.
Lying about discrimination thats not taking place, doesnt magicaly make it appear And no, I'm not discussing the probable Democrat in the story, I'm discussing the left wing kooks who are using this thread to run around bashing the GOP and tea partiers who have nothing to do with the story

Old 12-14-2011, 06:49 PM

3,948 posts, read 4,311,276 times
It's really stupid. Obviously a bigot.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:50 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,204,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I live in Texas, where politicians tend to win for having an "R" next to their name. Given the state of the republican party and republicanism, I would hate to be called a republican.
This story has nothing to do with Texas, politicians, Republican party, nor your hate. Stop hijacking the thread to throw your hate into the discussion
Quote:
Originally Posted by enemy country View Post
You have no idea how a sign like that makes the group it is directed toward feel do you?
Sure we do, because you dont stop posting your hatred against others on this very thread.

Old 12-14-2011, 06:55 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,562,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleMan View Post
I was doing DOT inspections on buses for Ravenswood school district in East Palo Alto a few years back and thought I saw a sign for a taqueria across the street, so at lunch I went to get a burrito. When I walked over there (after being asked if I wanted to buy some crack while crossing the street) and got to the doors, there were three different businesses and none of the doors were marked. I opened the one I thought was the taqueria and it instead was an old school barber shop with all black guys. They all stopped talking, turned and looked at me, and one of them said "you f'n lost white boy?", I said "yup", closed the door, went back and got my service truck and drove down to Togo's.
This can and does happen to all of us.

I remember several years ago when I was about 19, by myself in my convertible (top down) and I was looking for a friend's house in the Angelino Heights area of LA (which is close to Elysian Park and Dodger Stadium....think Bryan Stow). And if you know anything about LA you know that neighborhoods go from "good" to "bad" to "good" then back to "bad" without much warning at all. I made a wrong turn and ended up in front of what looked like a vacant house with a huge cholo party going on. Someone yelled something out at me that wasn't so friendly and I floored it getting the heck out of there. Getting caught in the wrong neighborhood can end very, very badly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies