Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 11:00 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
You are the one that is very ill informed.

http://thf_media.s3.amazonaws.com/2011/pdf/bg2548.pdf

More money is spent per student on Blacks than any other federally recognized ethnic group.
http://www.americanprogress.org/issu...be_dragons.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Texas does NOT fit that mold. We have what's called Robin Hood with our taxes.
The wealthy districts get a little less back while the poor districts get more than they gave in.
And I'm all for that when it comes to education..that every child have the same opportunity.

And when a school is categorized as Title 1 then it gets even more money from the Fed.
No, Texas funding for white students is higher than those for black students.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Proof ?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Money isn't the solution. Throwing money at a problem without acknowledging the roots of the problem won't do any thing.

It goes back to the history of families. Generational poverty and generational attitudes. How do you address the problems of the underclass if you're busy giving jobs to any foreigner who wants a job but never try to get people employed and taking care of their families?
WTF are generational attitudes? Man, you cats just make stuff up. This is just pure nonsense. More mind reading and make believe.

We have poverty because as a society we want to have poor people. Our economy creates mostly low paying low skilled jobs. We have horrible public schools in many places that do a poor job of preparing students.

The overwhelming majority of all poor people have worked. The majority are currently working. The problem is the jobs they have pay crap wages, have no benefits, college is too expensive, many went to inferior schools.

See I say as a nation we fix those HUGE problems before we get to "generational attitudes"(lol).

Old 08-04-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Proof ?
Where is your proof? You make an assertion without supplying any proof then ask me for proof.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Quote:
Are you serious? You really think black people "chose" share cropping? This is the most ignorant understanding of history.

You can't be serious. You just cannot be serious.

What are you talking about "black leaders" discouraged the great migration? Man you are in fantasyland about black American history.
Web Dubois and booker t. Washington discouraged it. Were aas forced into share cropping? Are you serious?

Old 08-04-2012, 11:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
That's not true at all --- or it might be higher than it is for black students but the highest funding goes to the schools with many hispanics. All along the border they give the kids laptops and iPads but in whiter school districts they don't even supply books.

Old 08-04-2012, 11:15 AM

73,020 posts, read 62,622,338 times
Why is there so much defensiveness among many African-Americans? I'm only going to speak for myself and why sometimes I get defensive. I get defensive because I'm sick and tired of Black people getting stereotyped. I'm Black and I have to deal with that. Some people are saying "if Black people don't want to be stereotyped, then they shouldn't act like stereotypes". I don't act like a stereotype. I know many Black people who DON'T act like stereotypes and they still have to deal with being stereotyped.

I know there are many issues going on. I know that Black men make up the lion's share of killers. Guess what? Alot of people never mention that Black men are also the most likely to BE murdered. I feel like alot of people only care when Black people are doing the killing, and not when Black people are being killed. I know about the low education achievements, out of wedlock birth rates, and high incarceration rates. I know about it from the statistics. Guess what? I'm not part of any of that. However, I notice there are alot of sweeping indictments of Black people based on "statistics". Statistics don't tell the whole story. You know why? Certain statistics don't take into account individuals. When you make generalizations and sweeping indictments, how does it help the individuals who are not guilty? Why should the innocent suffer for the guilty? Please answer that.

I think the reason for the defensiveness, in my opinion, is that I feel like some people only mention certain statistics to put Black people down, as a means of making such arguments as "avoid Black people", "we must have racial separation" or "Black people are mentally inferior". I feel like some people might want to make those arguments, and try to make sweeping indictments that could affect ME. I have ME to worry about. That is part of why the main question for me is "How does this help ME"? I keep asking because no one seems to take individuals into account. Basically, it boils down to Black people being put down all the time, and I don't want to put up with it. In fact, there is a website dedicated to putting Black people down and portraying Black people as inherently bad. It's called "stuffblackpeopledon'tlike". Here is the link:http://stuffblackpeopledontlike.blogspot.com/

That is my explanation for the defensiveness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That's not true at all --- or it might be higher than it is for black students but the highest funding goes to the schools with many hispanics. All along the border they give the kids laptops and iPads but in whiter school districts they don't even supply books.
It is true. And no Texas funding for white students is higher than those for hispanics.

1,389 posts, read 1,313,161 times
Quote:
WTF are generational attitudes? Man, you cats just make stuff up. This is just pure nonsense. More mind reading and make believe.

We have poverty because as a society we want to have poor people. Our economy creates mostly low paying low skilled jobs. We have horrible public schools in many places that do a poor job of preparing students.

The overwhelming majority of all poor people have worked. The majority are currently working. The problem is the jobs they have pay crap wages, have no benefits, college is too expensive, many went to inferior schools.

See I say as a nation we fix those HUGE problems before we get to "generational attitudes"(lol).
Kids learn their values from parents, or lack thereof. Trades pay well. Pay=skills + supply/demand, simple formula.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies