Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 12:04 PM

988 posts, read 1,203,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
What's the source of the quote contained in the OP? I doubt the Attorney general said what he's reported to have said.

I do think some white people are attempting to keep some blacks from voting. That seems to be the overall gist of what the extremists in the Republican Party are attempting. Remove certain collective bargaining rights. Make voting more difficult. Offer racist rhetoric and behavior regarding a black U.S. President. These people are anti-American, not patriots. The next thing they'll be suggesting is national identity cards ... a "1984" enviornment. Yes, there's a lot at stake in the next national election. Our freedom. Defend it. Vote Democratic.
Yawn. Incoherent blather filled with tired and perverted leftist canards.

You honestly think that republicans don't want blacks to vote? What a farce.

Got a hot poker up ur azz about showing ID. Fine. Implement the Iraqi finger staining method. NOW. Everyone gets a vote. ONE vote. Got a problem with that?

Old 01-17-2012, 12:05 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,859,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Well, to be fair to Mr. Holder, the original 2012 handbook for white people DID have "strip black people of their voting rights" as a goal for 2012. But I believe after the committee met for revisions, it was left out of the final draft because they could only get a plurality, and not a supermajority, approval.

We'll see when the first copies of this year's handbook are delivered at the end of the month.
I got mine on the 15th (I'm on the expedited list), looks like they've left it out for the year. Hopefully next year!

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,320,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree with holder on this or is this more racial talk to further put America back?

Personally I think holder should step down.
I disagree. Holder should be FIRED. Come to think of it, he should take his boss with him to the unemployment office.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:08 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,521,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Do you agree with holder on this or is this more racial talk to further put America back?

Personally I think holder should step down.
Here is the text of Holder's speech:

Welcome to the United States Department of Justice

I dare you...no,...I DEFY you to show me in those remarks where Holder even IMPLIED the things this thread accuses him of, let alone where he actually said it.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 PM

3,498 posts, read 2,217,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
What's the source of the quote contained in the OP? I doubt the Attorney general said what he's reported to have said.
Every other news sources makes no mention of "Whites". I'd like to see a quote. I"m not defending Holder, who I suspect is a liar, but this story smells fishy and reeks of race baiting. I've seen quotes from his speech and see no mention of Whites.
Quote:
HOLDER: We need, and the American people deserve, election systems that are free from discrimination, free from partisan influence and free from fraud. And we must do everything within our power to make certain that these systems are more, not less, accessible to the citizens of this country.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/01/16/us/holder-mlk/

Old 01-17-2012, 12:13 PM

232 posts, read 151,929 times
I have voted since 2008 so 2008 twice,2010 once so 3 times and each time they have asked me for I.D. I have no problem showing I.D. to show I am who I say I am. You have to show I.D. to buy ciggs and beer among other things why not to vote? It isn't racist. I can't help if people are to lazy or cheap to go get a state ID card. To lazy to do that then don't vote.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:15 PM

45,541 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
1. He is absolutely correct that the recent upsurge of voter ID laws has been motivated to make it more difficult for minorities, who tend to support Democrats, to vote.
How?

You need photo ID to drive, get on an airplane, buy alcohol (or this should be the case), or do other things.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:17 PM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
For decades we have voted without photo I.D.

OP, can you explain to me why the sudden change of heart? Why is it so important for us to have photo I.D. right now?

The Democratic party is pandering to illegal aliens who may show up and attempt to vote. Cleaning up the election process should be supported by all sides.

Mentally unstable people who don't understand the issues should be discouraged from cancelling the vote of an informed citizen who actually has something at stake.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The predominantly white Republican party is working very hard to restrict voting by requiring expensive or difficult to get voter registration cards. It is part of the Republican upper class effort to make America safe for financial crooks as if it is not altready.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:18 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
The OP is linking to a right-wing opinion piece. This is the actual story (e.g facts) from CNN:

Quote:
Holder vows to protect voting rights at MLK event in South Carolina

(CNN) -- Attorney General Eric Holder joined NAACP leaders on the steps of the South Carolina Statehouse in Columbia on Monday, with the Confederate flag fluttering overhead, to promise he will aggressively protect federal voting rights for minorities.

NAACP National President Ben Jealous said he had chosen to be at the Columbia ceremonies honoring the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., declaring South Carolina is "ground zero" in the battle for African-American voting rights.

As the NAACP speakers denounced the banner of stars and bars that the state continues to display, Holder focused on defending provisions of the Voting Rights Act that he claims are under assault by South Carolina.

The Justice Department has refused to grant the needed approval of a law passed by the legislature requiring most voters to present a government-issued photo ID at the polls.

"After a thorough and fair review, we concluded that the state had failed to meet its burden of proving that the voting change would not have a racially discriminatory effect," Holder said.

The Justice Department has also sued South Carolina, challenging its law designed to curtail illegal immigration in the state. The government has moved to block laws in six states, including Arizona, which has taken the issue to the Supreme Court. The ruling expected by this summer will likely affect South Carolina.

Holder said the Justice Department is continuing to review proposed redrawing of congressional and legislative districts in South Carolina.
So, SC is taking measures to disenfranchise black voters and the Attorney General of the U.S. is trying to stop it, just as Attorney General Robert Kennedy did 50 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies