Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 05:09 AM

511 posts, read 2,453,247 times

Advertisements

My relative who collects food stamps told me that she spent the day on the Internet figuring out her budget and the costs of having more kids. She then figured out the government will pay her more in benefits, like food stamps, than the cost of the additional child. So now she is planning to have a bigger family curiosity of Uncle Sam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:14 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,253,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!
You could always report fraud.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:28 AM

520 posts, read 1,007,776 times
Quote:
The number of people who get FOOD STAMPS is at an all time high. It is busting our budget. But on the other hand I don't want kids to starve. But at what income should the working poor be allowed to qualify for Food Stamps?

I was talking to some relatives who are getting Food Stamps for the first time recently. I asked them what happened to them recently that forced them to apply for Food Stamps in 2011 for the first time. Their answer: "Nothing, the government loosed eligibility requirements so people at our income level qualified." So I looked into it and found out that while the recession and unemployment and falling wages are a part of the rapid increase in Food Stamps; a even larger reason for the increase in Food Stamp use is the government has raised the income a family can make and still be eligible. Is this a good idea?

The conversation about Food Stamps with our relatives ended when their son wanted to talk about their upcoming trip to California and a week they will spend at the Disneyland Hotel!

No, America's infatuation with imperialism and Trickle-down economics ($600 Billion to banks, Wall Street and too big to fail organizations) have busted America's budget. That, and their obsession with protecting the wealthy while overtaxing the poor, refusing to cut the perrenial $600B+ defense budget (more than all countries in this world, combined), debt-obsessed "leaders" who continually raise the debt ceiling instead of managing the debt, and idiots who would rather elect an actor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) over more competent candidates is what has ruined America's budget.

So, in short, I say "No". We should NOT make it harder for the working poor to get food stamps.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:32 AM

3,614 posts, read 3,506,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsmith365 View Post
No, America's infatuation with imperialism and Trickle-down economics ($600 Billion to banks, Wall Street and too big to fail organizations) have busted America's budget. That, and their obsession with protecting the wealthy while overtaxing the poor, refusing to cut the perrenial $600B+ defense budget (more than all countries in this world, combined), debt-obsessed "leaders" who continually raise the debt ceiling instead of managing the debt, and idiots who would rather elect an actor (Arnold Schwarzenegger) over more competent candidates is what has ruined America's budget.

So, in short, I say "No". We should NOT make it harder for the working poor to get food stamps.
Hey now, it's the U.S. only spends 43% of the entire global defense spending. That's not more than every other country. Just more than the next twelve countries combined. You know, like U.K., Germany, France, Russia, China, etc.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:51 AM

943 posts, read 783,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
If they have a crappy job and can't to afford to buy stuff who says the tax payer should foot the bill for it? There's always charities and other organizations.
1. Not all people can get a good job.

2. Charities are good, but are inefficient, unaccountable, and ineffective in alleviating poverty and hunger.

3. The cost of food stamps and other low income welfare is minuscule considering the average Federal budget is $3 trillion. So worrying about the "tax payer" is disingenuous.

Old 01-23-2012, 06:55 AM

4,255 posts, read 3,484,444 times
We spend a trillion more then we take in. We need to worry about all expenses.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:04 AM

8,237 posts, read 13,532,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
What I have seen and experienced first hand is factual. I was there. You would rather post links to articles written by people that don't even research what they are writing.

So I take it that you have nothing, just opinion. Ok.

Old 01-23-2012, 07:41 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,913,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So now "Christian charity" = "Federal Government"?
Maybe if the Christian charity thing worked the feds wouldn't have to do what they do.

Quote:
My relative who collects food stamps told me that she spent the day on the Internet figuring out her budget and the costs of having more kids. She then figured out the government will pay her more in benefits, like food stamps, than the cost of the additional child. So now she is planning to have a bigger family curiosity of Uncle Sam.
Why is it that in these threads someone is always dissing ome family member? Sibling rivalry?

Old 01-23-2012, 08:20 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Children in this country are not starving unless their parents are choosing to neglect them and spend the food stamps on drugs or alcohol. Even then the two free meals in schools should keep them from starving to death.

The USA has the second highest obesity rates in the world, children here tend to be too fat.
They may be starving nutritionally due to poor food choices (by the schools too), but they are definitely NOT lacking in calories.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2012, 08:35 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,167,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konraden View Post
How do you expect them to better their own lives while working 60 hours a week at two part-time jobs with no benefits? Get an education? They can't, they've got kids and work to do.

As long as people believe the poor are poor because of their own self machinations, the worse they are going to get.
And just how did those children get here? Did the tooth fairy drop them off? No, those children are here because of conscious choices that the parents made. EVERYTHING that happens to us in our life is a result of a conscious choice that we make.

Anyone who thinks that their life is somehow beyond their control either have a victim mentality or are too stupid or lazy to change it. There have been many, many people with children and jobs who have gone to school and bettered themselves. Sure it's difficult but it isn't impossible. You just have to WANT IT and you have to be able to turn off American Idol and focus on what you want.

Poor people are poor because they refuse to accept change. They refuse to apply themselves by working 70 hours a week, as necessary to improve the quality of their lives. There is no one stopping anyone from being successful, except THEMSELVES.

20yrsinBranson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies