Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2012, 05:21 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
You're trying to convince me that 3 healthy teens cannot earn $160 a month each to feed themselves?

I know mentally/physically disabled people who can earn that in a few days.
1. Yes. Have you looked at teen unemployment lately? And shouldn't these kids be in school rather than out working at Mac's?

2. I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2012, 05:22 PM

3,423 posts, read 3,214,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If those "facts" are true, why are you lefties going to vote for obama again?

You make a convincing argument about his record.
Those figures are for the year he came into office, and the year immediately after. Unless you were born on another planet, you should recall that he inherited the economy that caused this social disaster. But hey, if it makes you feel better about the plight of the poor in this country by blaming someone who had nothing to do with those statistics, go for it.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:24 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
That is incredibly easy to do.

You need to de-warp his brain and teach him right. He needs to be counter-socialized from the excessive stupidity of the Extravagant American Life-Styleâ„¢.

I was all-city, all-county and honorable mention at State (as an offensive center) and I only ate meat 4-6 days a week.

Tell little brain he could save a lot of money by buying less meat that they don't really need in the first place, and also by buying cheaper cuts of meat. Instead of chicken, get gizzards and livers. And if you buy a chicken, then buy a whole chicken. In less than 1 minute I can cut a whole chicken into 2 legs, 2 boneless thighs, two boneless breasts, two wings and parts for chicken stock/soup. You can be stupid and buy boneless chicken breasts at $6.99/lb or you can buy a whole chicken at $0.88/lb and make your own boneless chicken breasts (in a matter of seconds).

Instead of buying pork chops, buy the cheaper pork brains or pork liver, hag maws, chitlins and such. They'll live.

Home economically...

Mircea
You are so right, Mircea. The problem is that people are not willing to change their habits. You can bet those teenaged boys are eating tons of prepackaged foods that are full of simple carbohydrates and empty calories. It's no wonder that one out of three people have diabetes with that kind of diet. If the nutritional quality of that kind of food weren't bad enough, it's usually considerably more expensive per serving than food that is not processed and/or prepackaged.

I have found that unpopular cuts of meets are very economical and taste just as good as the pricier stuff. I've made oxtail stew, eaten beef tongue (which was darn good, by the way), as well as pigs feet (and snouts), and some other interesting things along the way.

It's interesting to note that many "ethnic" recipes used non-prime cuts of meat such as tripe for menudo, offal for haggis or the Cajun version which I don't know how to spell...chaudiere (show-dere) or boudain.

Beans and rice are a huge, huge standby in most cultures. You can make a great meal for three or four people for less than $10 which includes garlic, onions, and seasoning.

To be honest, people who don't try these wonderful alternatives to the "SAD" (standard American diet), really don't know what they are missing.

20yrsinBranson

Old 01-23-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You are so right, Mircea. The problem is that people are not willing to change their habits. You can bet those teenaged boys are eating tons of prepackaged foods that are full of simple carbohydrates and empty calories. It's no wonder that one out of three people have diabetes with that kind of diet. If the nutritional quality of that kind of food weren't bad enough, it's usually considerably more expensive per serving than food that is not processed and/or prepackaged.

I have found that unpopular cuts of meets are very economical and taste just as good as the pricier stuff. I've made oxtail stew, eaten beef tongue (which was darn good, by the way), as well as pigs feet (and snouts), and some other interesting things along the way.

It's interesting to note that many "ethnic" recipes used non-prime cuts of meat such as tripe for menudo, offal for haggis or the Cajun version which I don't know how to spell...chaudiere (show-dere) or boudain.

Beans and rice are a huge, huge standby in most cultures. You can make a great meal for three or four people for less than $10 which includes garlic, onions, and seasoning.

To be honest, people who don't try these wonderful alternatives to the "SAD" (standard American diet), really don't know what they are missing.

20yrsinBranson

So what you are saying is that a single male parent with three teenage boys should work two jobs and then slave over the stove for hours when he is not working? To hell with sleep, right?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:30 PM

3,393 posts, read 4,012,063 times
One of my liberal friends was complaining on Facebook that with the current welfare amount she gets, she is not able to eat at restaurants much. Excuse me? You are sitting around whining on Facebook about the fact that MY tax money isn't enough for you to go to Applebee's? And in the comments, all her welfare buddies were commiserating with her. But you better believe she is at the Twilight movies on opening night and binge drinking every weekend (Yeah, she posts stupid stuff after she is hammered).

So, like it or not, this is my image of the average food stamp recipient.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:40 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orogenicman View Post
So what you are saying is that a single male parent with three teenage boys should work two jobs and then slave over the stove for hours when he is not working? To hell with sleep, right?
Umm, yeah? I was a single male parent raising 2 children, and at one point when I was laid off and looking for full time work, I worked as many as 4 part time jobs a week, in addition to medical appts, shopping, cooking and cleaning. If I can do it, why can't someone else?

Old 01-23-2012, 05:44 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyanna View Post
Why do people worry so much about what other people are getting? It just seems like ppl are on some type of jealous power trip and want to control what other people can or cannot have.
I don't know but such people need to thank God for being well enough off to not need food stamps and pray that people that are on them will also become too well off to qualify for them.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:45 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
I'm disabled and I'm telling you that very few people can survive on a food allowance of $160/month. Not in this country. Not in this economy. What is very easy is to criticize the disadvantaged. Congratulations.
You cannot make me feel bad about expecting three healthy teens to provide for themselves.

You cannot make me feel bad about expecting a healthy person of any age (with the exception of young children) to provide for themselves.

As I've always stated, we American citizens have a duty to provide for the disabled (physically and mentally). I do not consider addiction to drugs and alcohol a disability (again, I'm not saying that you are one).

Old 01-23-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Umm, yeah? I was a single male parent raising 2 children, and at one point when I was laid off and looking for full time work, I worked as many as 4 part time jobs a week, in addition to medical appts, shopping, cooking and cleaning. If I can do it, why can't someone else?

No doubt the guy does just that. But then, a lot of people on food stamps aren't well educated. And even some who are well educated are on food stamps because the economy today, dude, really sucks eggs.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:47 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Do the math. You contribute a small fraction of a dollar of what they get. But hey, if it makes you feel like an alpha male criticizing the disadvantaged, go for it.
But, it is MY fraction of a dollar.

I will support who I want to.

YOU are free to do the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies