Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 10:45 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,710,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumbo31 View Post
I'm in the military and have deployed 4 times and these changed are definitely needed. The Op is quick to bash President Obama but in that article that the op linked to it doesn't even say what the changes are. Basically, the change are that hostile fire and imminent duty pay will now be prorated based on how long you were actually in the area. Previously, if you were in the area for 1 day you would get the maximum amount, same is somebody that was in the area for 31 days. Now it is prorated based on how many days you are actually in the area.

Thank you for your much needed perspective
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 09:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Not special?? I bet every vet or person serving in the miliary on C-D will be happy to know that. I guess that can be said for those who served in every war that has taken place where the US was involved, especially WWI, WWII, and the Korean War.

I hope the day never comes when the US is threatened with a real war and doesn't have to call on these "not so special people" to defend it.
I'm a veteran.
Big deal.
I'm not special, and neither is any other veteran or active duty person.
They're part of an aggressor force in the world.
There is no draft, they chose their job.
So, you want to go back 60 years?
There was no reason for us to be in Korea.

With the last paragraph of your post, are you affirming that we have no right to be the aggressor in these "wars" we're involved in.
You know, the ones where lots of innocent people are being killed?

Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Not by me!!! Maybe some people forget or do not realize that it was not a volunteer army back then. You got a letter from the government that started with: "Greetings......."

I don't think some people also realize how close Japan got to attacking the US on its own soil. If it wasn't for those who served they would have succeeded. Imagine our country without a military? A country's military is a sign of it's strength.

I think you're special.
Garbage.
Many people joined.
I joined; I was not drafted.
I'm still not special.

Let's look at some of the other interesting benefits provided to our military (at least in Europe) - a 4-day "training" holiday every month. Block leave that doesn't count towards their 30 days per year...

Old 02-10-2012, 07:34 AM

1,680 posts, read 1,793,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Garbage.
Many people joined.
I joined; I was not drafted.
I'm still not special.

Let's look at some of the other interesting benefits provided to our military (at least in Europe) - a 4-day "training" holiday every month. Block leave that doesn't count towards their 30 days per year...
First, those serving in our Military are quite special,Period. Our government should Never take from service members. I am unsure of the branch you've served but a few days off here and there after intense Combat traning doesn't hurt anyone. Training intensely for six-plus months without a break is ill advised. Bodies must recuperate.
With seven Deployments would you say I do not deserve a fews days to myself? Block Leave issued for those deploying. Lastly, you are Special in my eyes; everyone courageous enough to enlist would be Special. Most do not possess the gull.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies