Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 04:45 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's the right decision. Calm down and look at it rationally.
Yes, you are right. What was I thinking. I guess when you are in the service for 2 years and can make between $17,892 as a private to 27,814 as a staff sargeant a year they are overpaid and don't need - what would that be $2,700 dollars a year. Not to mention all the great benefits that go with being in the military.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,068,169 times
[quote=softblueyz;22877705]
Quote:

The breakdown is "hostile" and "imminent". Hostile is active, imminent is potential.

As far as I can tell form that document they aren't making any distinction from the two unless they can collect on both?

Old 02-07-2012, 05:00 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,215,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yes, you are right. What was I thinking. I guess when you are in the service for 2 years and can make between $17,892 as a private to 27,814 as a staff sargeant a year they are overpaid and don't need - what would that be $2,700 dollars a year. Not to mention all the great benefits that go with being in the military.
The military will get over it....as they should.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,962,184 times
I propose that if your in a hostile zone for Big Business Interests, you should be paid the same as a CEO, since your risking life and limb, much more than the CEO is willing to risk.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Duh, the countries that we are at "war" with are the makings of the US. The countries considered hostile didn't declare war on the US, the US declared war and invaded them. In spite of that, Americans joined the military with the belief that they are serving America.

I guess your attitude is that for every American soldier killed or injured it's is just another American who knew what they were getting into. Tough luck, they drew the short straw and didn't get shipped out to a resort post in Germany but to some "hostile" country that didn't declare war on the US, but has an active military US presence, and the price they pay is risk of life or injury and why should they be given combat pay?
So what.
They join knowing that we're at war.
Yes, they all know what they're getting into.
They chose this job.

They make the choice to join the military.
There's nothing else to say about it.
They're not special; they're not fighting for our "freedoms" - they're part of an aggressive force.

Quote:
They know the salary before they join.
Don't forget, the additions of housing, uniforms, food, education, medical, etc are not counted in their base pay.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:16 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,066,951 times
You guys and gals who served us well should have joined SEIU. Then you 'interests' would have been served. Brudder! BTW, Desertdetroiter represents the progressive take on the men and women in uniform. You are to be seen, not heard, to stand in front of them, not beside them. Progressives can hardly contain their disdain for your sacrifice. 1%ers? Just maybe.

Thank you for your service and for highlighting this.
Quote:
This coming from someone who never served in the military to protect HIS country. Or..................is the US really "his" country??? What's next - bring back the draft???

Hostile Fire and Imminent Danger Pay | Military.com

Old 02-07-2012, 05:26 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,204,998 times
Quote:
Be thankful you have a job. Those getting RIFed are going to have a hard time finding employment at any wage. You have enviable benefits in the military that you will never equal in the private sector. The military must be your first job.

Old 02-07-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
staff sargeant
BTW, that's "sergeant".

Old 02-07-2012, 06:15 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,784,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
BTW, that's "sergeant".
Thank you for the correction. Good to know that CD provides spellcheck services. Pointing out typos and misspelled words must be very tedious and time-consuming.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Thank you for the correction. Good to know that CD provides spellcheck services. Pointing out typos and misspelled words must be very tedious and time-consuming.
It's a civilian thing...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies