Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that there is a strain of bigotry running through conservative America?
Yes 54 80.60%
No 13 19.40%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 05:27 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times

Advertisements

I also gotta say, there is no shortage of homophobia among Democrats. Sure there is a facade of acceptance, but we all know there is plenty of homophobia under the surface. Most of my friends are union-types, many Democrats, and most at least a little bit homophobic.

Just let an incident like the Larry Craig saga occur, and you'll see a flood of homophobic verbiage come tumbling out of the keyboards of lefties. hmmmm, what's up with that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 05:31 AM

365 posts, read 645,031 times
Interesting. Considering Goldberg has been called to task on his own racial bigotry in the past.
Both parties play racial politics. There hasn't been an election in America. That at some point. Playing up race wasn't used.

Of course we use code words now. (Urban - Black, Illegal Aliens - Hispanics, Special Interest Groups - Gays, and Minorities, Christian Right - Closed minded white people)

There is a base of the Republican party which are for a lack of a better term. Staunch Racist. Everybody knows this. But they are needed to get elected. For the most part. They keep quiet and wink. But they are there.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:59 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigHouse9 View Post
His comparison is a failure. Gay is not a race.
That is exactly right....there IS no comparison.

He used to be a liberal?, says he in the clip. He is revealing plenty of it remaining at his core as he, at the same time, reveals the limitations of his intellect.

What I'm uncomfortable with, and what everyone should be gravely concerned about at this point in human history, is the fast growing use of supercharged words like "bigot" to shut down and silence all viewpoints but those approved by the PC powers that be. Today that means the radical left and Goldberg has given them quite a gift, considering Fox's ratings.

He keeps this up and he'll be back home at CBS feeling warm and fuzzy....or perhaps MSNBC.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:18 AM

5,503 posts, read 7,338,017 times
Gay,gay,gay,gay,gay. That is all some people care about on this forum.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:29 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,369,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeclyde View Post
Interesting. Considering Goldberg has been called to task on his own racial bigotry in the past.
Both parties play racial politics. There hasn't been an election in America. That at some point. Playing up race wasn't used.

Of course we use code words now. (Urban - Black, Illegal Aliens - Hispanics, Special Interest Groups - Gays, and Minorities, Christian Right - Closed minded white people)

There is a base of the Republican party which are for a lack of a better term. Staunch Racist. Everybody knows this. But they are needed to get elected. For the most part. They keep quiet and wink. But they are there.
I say that 'code word' is a code word. It means, roughly, "in a debate, I reserve the right to stuff words into my opponents mouth. If he uses the word 'urban,' I reserve the right to call him racist. Bingo, I win the debate every time."

Old 02-10-2012, 06:48 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,288,761 times
There is bigotry in all political parties. I think the issue is that in the last 15 years the republican party has began to allow the social issues take too much of a front seat. Rather then focus on the economy, and civil matters, you here copius amounts of rants against gay marriage, immigration,abortion etc. So when they do things like this is just makes it worse and people are more inclined to believe they are racist.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Not a "strain of bigotry" but a stain of bigotry. The false “conservatives” of this country are dominated by the belief that they are then only “right” people because they are white, right wing, and a special kind of Christians.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:30 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i would agree with goldberg that there is some bigotry on the right.

but i also point to post #4 for an obvious example of bigotry on the left.

i would like to see BOTH republicans and democrats stick to the ECONOMIC issues facing the country-after all, elections are about trying to find leaders to run a country.

and not about running a country into the ground.
How could my post be perceived as bigotry? I'm only reporting my own personal observations, not lending credence to the opinions of others.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:36 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,537,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
I find such arguments very slanted...and apparently lacking in a critique of a much BROADER spectrum that includes both sides of political ideology.

Now...I happen to agree with Mr. Goldberg. There IS bigotry in the conservative ranks...but there is bigotry in the liberal ranks as well. There are people on the left who voted for....and will vote again for obama simply BECAUSE he is black. There are also people on the left who will not listen to anyone on the right...dismissing them and their arguments because the feel some ridiculous sense of superiority. I find people on the left to be very aloof...and actually most of them are unable to defend their positions at all. They remind me of talking parrots whose trick is to make statements but not have conversations.

There are also people on the left who HATE rich people...who HATE Christians...who HATE white people.

my argument is that bigotry is HUMAN NATURE. Our primitive side...the side that gives us a sense of family and comes out when we feel that our family is threatened...by NATURE makes us suspicious of any and all who are different from us. Like the pride of lions who drive out any other lions trying to join. That is in OUR nature as well...and to deny it is just plain naive. And I also agree that such bigotry is more evident in some than in others....but that goes for ALL people, not just conservatives.

I voted that I AGREE with Bernie about bigotry...but I think that although what he says IS true...it should include ALL people. Because there are no people who are not effected by nature and what instincts we are born with.

I think the whole Ellen Degeneres thing is stupid. Nobody should call for her being fired because she is GAY. If people want to boycott Penney's for hiring her that is their prerogative...but that is as far as it goes.

It is these kinds of things that DIVIDE us more.

I won't disagree with you at all, but suggesting that bigotry only exists on one side of the ideological aisle or another or is limited to only one form, is dishonest and that's precisely what the OP is suggesting.

My own post was dishonest too, but I was just pointing out that the bigotry of the right is deeper than Goldberg suggests. I should have included the left too and I thank you for calling me to task over it.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:52 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,205,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
His statement comes on the heels of CPAC's decision to ban gay conservative groups from their conference. He compares bigotry against gays with bigotry against blacks in the 1950s and 1960s.

Video of Goldberg on Fox News:

» Bernie Goldberg – “I’m immensely uncomfortable with the bigotry on the right”

CPAC 2012 Moves Away From Gay Conservatives And Closer To The Politics Of Hate | Fox News

only if you want to say the conservatives bigotry is like the bigotry of the democrat party against blacks/african-americans during the beginning and middle of the 20th century.

after all, you pretty much had to be a card carrying member of the democrat party to belong to the kkk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies