Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree that there is a strain of bigotry running through conservative America?
Yes 54 80.60%
No 13 19.40%
Not sure 0 0%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
msnbc is bigoted.. they always think there is something wrong with having black skin because they are always defending blacks on every issue
The twisted and bizarre logic of right-wingers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
I know plenty of die-hard, evangelical Republican's who simply will not support anything Obama does because he's black.
Same here. I'm not sure how widespread it is (though recent primary results seem to indicate it's a pretty large subset of Republicans), but there's certainly a lot of racist/anti-gay sentiment driving many right wing voters.

I remember in 2004, hearing things like "We're not voting for Kerry because he's for the ****." In 2008, it was "I don't want some n****r in the white house." They generally won't say it on Fox News or talk radio (well, Limbaugh will), but they'll certainly say it in front of their friends and family members. Higher ups know it works, too. Remember the 2000 push poll about John McCain's black baby?

Quote:
Well, try being a pro-Life Democrat and see how far you get. Two sides to every coin, you know.
You mean like Bob Casey, Harry Reid, Ben Nelson, and Dick Durban? Making it to Senate majority leader seems like getting pretty far to me.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
It is not racist to complain homosexuals are destructive to society.
Can you name one society, since time immemorial, that was destroyed by homosexuals?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
I remember in 2004, hearing things like "We're not voting for Kerry because he's for the ****."
Really? Who do you know who said that? Or where did you hear it?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:55 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,726,478 times
How quickly this becomes a left-right back and forth each charging the other with even more "bigotry". Step back and put this all in perspective and you realize that the word has completely lost whatever meaning it may have had in days long past.

We are fast becoming a society so fragmented and so, frankly, screwed-up that any judgement whatsoever made about another person or group's behavior or thought process is deemed "bigotry". Therein lies the enormous danger in this trend - as the mere utterance in the media of socially supercharged words such as this easily stampedes tens of millions of our population of sheep. Thus there is a growing reluctance to publicly express ANY opinion or stance on ANY behavior or social issue.

Complete and utter chaos and anarchy are the endpoint in this journey where all opinions on social behavior or policy are "bigotry" toward someone and thus unacceptable.

I wonder what the remaining life expectancy is of a society so damaged that those who challenge the concept of a man marrying another man are the bad guys, aka the "bigots". And condemned throughout the media, the public school system, and corporate America.

And in 1962 we thought it was going to be the Russians....

Old 02-10-2012, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I wonder what the remaining life expectancy is of a society so damaged that those who challenge the concept of a man marrying another man are the bad guys, aka the "bigots".
I'm sure some people thought the same thing when...

- The slaves were freed
- When women were given the right to vote
- When blacks were give the right to vote
- When same-sex couples were allow to enter civil unions in Vermont

And on and on.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:13 PM

5,002 posts, read 12,364,433 times
Apparently some people need educatin' on what the difference between RACISM and BIGOTRY is.

Basically, being bigoted means you hate a general group of people or things and tend to believe your own outlook is correct.

Racism is having a bigoted view against a particular race or ethnic group.

See the difference? Bigotry is a wider net than racism.

SO now that we have that out of the way ...

YES, 100% there is bigotry against gay people in conservative America, and quite frankly, it's disgusting, wrong-headed, and not where conservative energy needs to go right now. Fiscal conservatism needs to rule the day currently, and REAL fiscal conservatism, none of this "trickle down" bullcrap pushed by the elites and big businesses as an excuse to fatten their own wallets. It doesn't work. We need real change.

When we do that, then we can focus on social issues and let the states do their own thing with that, in my opinion. I'm personally pro-choice and support marriage equality, but that doesn't mean that my views are shared universally. I'm liberal, but don't want to shove my own ideology down anyone's throat. I'd expect the same from conservatives, but unfortunately, they've devolved to name calling and hyperbole and bigotry rather than what most conservatives these days would prefer.

Driving through rural America, I found quite a lot of conservative minded folks who wish their representatives would tone things down a little. Less of the hyperbole. More of the vote your conscience. You know, stop being such a loudmouth, because it's the loudmouths who usually ruin everything for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies