Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2012, 08:17 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,589,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sol11 View Post
You occupiers have a few good points,...and a mountain of demads based upon ignorance, stupidity, and sheer lunacy. The problem with your movement is the childish ways you present your case, the lack of direction, and growing public resentment.

Please just stay in the northeast and the left coast and leave the rest of us alone.
I agree with you!!!! Great words and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 08:20 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:
Guarantee living wage regardless of employment ....

Free college education...

One trillion for infrastructure....

One trillion for ecological restoration...

Open borders migration.....

Immediate across the board debt forgiveness for all...

Outlaw credit reporting agencies....

Forum Post: Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement! | OccupyWallSt.org

Here are some examples that has cast a pall over your movement.

A clear sign of talking without thinking. Oh,...the movement has cleaned up its act regarding "demands", but the stupidity, ignorance, and lunacy was already apparent to the public.
Good Point!!!

Forum Post: Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement! | OccupyWallSt.org

Forum Post: Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement!
Posted 4 months ago on Sept. 25, 2011, 3:46 p.m. EST by anonymous ()
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and Mises.org. This content was not published by the OccupyWallSt.org collective, nor was it ever proposed or agreed to on a consensus basis with the NYC General Assembly. There is NO official list of demands.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
You are a good little parrot.....

We are the 99 Percent - Facts
Yeah, check out some of the other content on the page.

What is the most credible source? Critiqued articles submitted to peer reviewed journals.

Please show me how any of that information is false or innacurate instead of providing a link to where some of the information was posted. You have done nothing to disprove any of those statements.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:31 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Good Point!!!

Forum Post: Proposed List Of Demands For Occupy Wall St Movement!
Posted 4 months ago on Sept. 25, 2011, 3:46 p.m. EST by anonymous ()
This content is user submitted and not an official statement

Admin note: This is not an official list of demands. This is a forum post submitted by a single user and hyped by irresponsible news/commentary agencies like Fox News and Mises.org. This content was not published by the OccupyWallSt.org collective, nor was it ever proposed or agreed to on a consensus basis with the NYC General Assembly. There is NO official list of demands.
Makes no difference at this point,....you can't put the toothpaste back into the tube.

The sheer ignorance of the protesters, coupled with demeaning videos have been recorded ad nauseum, and that fact makes for nothing but bad publicity. Look at the referenced "pay to protest" that was earlier linked.

The movement has been in the limelight, but missed the opportunity to be taken seriously. The claim that occupiers are making a difference just by being in the news is farfetched. Charles Manson made the news,....Timothy McVeigh made the news,...Branch Davidian made the news,....etc.,...etc.,....

Old 02-12-2012, 08:37 AM

3,244 posts, read 7,448,554 times
Quote:

Quote:"Please explain to me how 100% of your estate goes to charity?"

Easy. Between trusts and direct transfers to non-profit organizations, it all goes to where it need to be. (I wish they had a non-profit anti-Occupier charity, as they would get $100K).

It is impossible to live if 100% of your income goes to charity. So basically what your saying is that your excess income goes to charity. I applaud you for that.
Quote:"Better yet, tell me how donating to charity covers up the fact that your ok with Americans getting shot in the head with rubber bullets during PEACEFUL protest."

Tell me how you will feel when they camp in your front yard, crap all over the place, smoke pot, throw trash everywhere, and make it difficult for you (or the spouse) to get out of the driveway to go to work.

If the media was there, and issues were being solved I'd make them all coffee in the morning before I went to work. Who's lawn are they occupying? They are occupying a public park. Where else are you supposed to congregate when your trying to make a point? Please offer some better options for the group.

Quote:"What are these protesters ill-informed about?"

They are 100% mis-informed about how to utilize energy/time/tactics, so that will make any difference, whatsoever.

Yet your on a thread debating the topic. Yet it made headline news. Yet now the ENTIRE world knows about the protest now. I'd say they had a pretty big impact.
Quote:"Have you looked at statistics on income inequality?"

Waaa Waaa Waaa... want some cheese with that whine? What did YOU do to be very successful in this country? It isn't exactly rocket science.

Success is a debateable term. To generate a living I went to college on a football scholarship and graduated with honors. And on topic, who here is whining? I'm taking an activist stand and standing up for others. Somebody always has it much worse. Still, even with my success, I can see that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. That issue should be debated upon.

Quote:"I was a finance major and have also worked for Wall Street. I'm also a business owner. So please, lets debate."

Oh, Whoopie.... I go with startup companies.... I retired in my early 40's... who really cares? No debate needed. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

Who said anything about me about being upset with my current path? So you started your own business as well? Congrats. What's your point? My point is that I understand the system and don't feel like its a system that promotes hard work and an honest living.

Quote:"Either way you vote, your voting for corporate interest."

And am d*mn proud of it.

Even when they don't represent your best interest? How do corporations share your values? Please describe in your follow up post.
Quote:"Not because of your viewpoint, but because of your hate."

As a (now) Buddhist (former Methodist), I hate no one.

Your not Buddhist. A Buddhist wouldn't wish harm on another human soul. Buddha would be turning over in his grave if he heard you spout off. Your not a Christian either. Your just confused.

Quote:"Your still a disgrace to America and all that it stands for."

I would go to the front line in a war in 2 seconds, if I could, for this country. (I am a little too old, they won't take me). I will defend this country to the end, literally. However, I won't defend the liberal 'give everyone everything' agenda, regardless of the country. Earn it on your own. That is what our fore-fathers did, I did, and you should do it too.

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Quote:"It is impossible to live if 100% of your income goes to charity. So basically what your saying is that your excess income goes to charity. I applaud you for that."

"estate": An estate is the net worth of a person at any point in time.
Mine is at the time of my death. Also shifting things to blind trusts helps a lot too, as I do not pay for anything; the trusts do.

Quote:"Please offer some better options for the group."

They should go get a life, and do something productive, and stop obstructing those that do something meaningful.

Quote:"Yet it made headline news."

Sure did. Just like the dog that got hit on RT. 93... front page headlines. If you haven't noticed, no on gives a cr*p about Occupy anything, anymore.

Quote:"If the media was there, and issues were being solved I'd make them all coffee in the morning before I went to work."

Would you smoke pot with them, and not bathe for weeks?

Quote:"Still, even with my success, I can see that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. That issue should be debated upon."

I am all for debating the issue, just don't do it on my nickel.

Quote:"Even when they don't represent your best interest? How do corporations share your values? "

Easy... they allowed me to make a lot of money, so that I can use it to help others.

Quote:"My point is that I understand the system and don't feel like its a system that promotes hard work and an honest living."

I agree. We need to get rid of welfare, social security, unemployment payments, food stamps, put a $1000 dollar bounty on any illegal alien, etc.

Quote:"Your not Buddhist. A Buddhist wouldn't wish harm on another human soul. Buddha would be turning over in his grave if he heard you spout off."

That's a knee-slapper!

My SO was born and grew up in Thailand. We go to the temple together. I wish you knew a lot more about Buddhism (and you should watch the news, especially what happened a few weeks ago). They own more guns than I do:

Monks With Guns: Discovering Buddhist Violence | Religion Dispatches

Monks with Guns

Please make statements on topics that you know about (I know, a short list, but that is ok).

Old 02-12-2012, 08:46 AM

2,930 posts, read 2,224,453 times
Quote:
Yeah, check out some of the other content on the page.

What is the most credible source? Critiqued articles submitted to peer reviewed journals.

Please show me how any of that information is false or innacurate instead of providing a link to where some of the information was posted. You have done nothing to disprove any of those statements.
You posted a lot of material,...but deliberately failed to link the occupy source. Had you identified the link, maybe your credibility would not be in question.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM

10,032 posts, read 9,507,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallowsCalibrator View Post
Anytime there is a protest, there is a cost for police. It comes with the territory.

Or should people refrain from protesting things they care about due to fear of "wasting" money?
Protesting is fine. Setting up camp, defacating, urinating, sexually assaulting not so much.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSparkle928 View Post
Quote:"It is impossible to live if 100% of your income goes to charity. So basically what your saying is that your excess income goes to charity. I applaud you for that."

"estate": An estate is the net worth of a person at any point in time.
Mine is at the time of my death. Also shifting things to blind trusts helps a lot too, as I do not pay for anything; the trusts do.

I respect you a lot for your contribution. Honestly.
Quote:"Please offer some better options for the group."

They should go get a life, and do something productive, and stop obstructing those that do something meaningful.

I would argue that what they are doing is very meaningful. With all do respect, since you are an older American, it is us YOUNGER Americans who's futures are at stake. We don't want the country to re-gress, we want it to pro-gress.

Quote:"Yet it made headline news."

Sure did. Just like the dog that got hit on RT. 93... front page headlines. If you haven't noticed, no on gives a cr*p about Occupy anything, anymore.

Your still debating this very issue. Obviously it has had some impact on your life. Your view is that it's had a negative impact. Understood. However, there are now Occupy movements in several major cities and in foreign countries as well. The very purpose was to start a dialogue and what are we doing? Having a public dialogue, progressing their agenda.

Quote:"If the media was there, and issues were being solved I'd make them all coffee in the morning before I went to work."

Would you smoke pot with them, and not bathe for weeks?

I would smoke pot with them. While we're on the subject, its much less harmful than alcohol and is used by thousands of esteemed doctors for the treatment of various symptoms. It also a much better renewable source for paper, rope, clothing than some of our current methods. It takes hemp a few seasons to grow where as it takes trees years to grow. Somehow I'm assuming your associating pot smokers with low lifes. No sir, I'm a pot smoker and also a business owner and productive citizen.

Quote:"Still, even with my success, I can see that the system is broken and needs to be fixed. That issue should be debated upon."

I am all for debating the issue, just don't do it on my nickel.

Understood. When the media starts having real debates on tv then there will be no need to protest or march. Until then, its on your bill.

Quote:"Even when they don't represent your best interest? How do corporations share your values? "

Easy... they allowed me to make a lot of money, so that I can use it to help others.

How so?

Quote:"My point is that I understand the system and don't feel like its a system that promotes hard work and an honest living."

I agree. We need to get rid of welfare, social security, unemployment payments, food stamps, put a $1000 dollar bounty on any illegal alien, etc.

Your an extremist. I'm not even gonna touch these issues. Why do these issues concern you so much anyways if your retired and taken care of anyway? You donate to charity, yet oppose any type of charity that the government sets up. I really don't understand your reasoning.

Quote:"Your not Buddhist. A Buddhist wouldn't wish harm on another human soul. Buddha would be turning over in his grave if he heard you spout off."

That's a knee-slapper!

My SO was born and grew up in Thailand. We go to the temple together. I wish you knew a lot more about Buddhism (and you should watch the news, especially what happened a few weeks ago). They own more guns than I do:

Monks With Guns: Discovering Buddhist Violence | Religion Dispatches

Monks with Guns

Please make statements on topics that you know about (I know, a short list, but that is ok).

Your not a Buddhist because of your actions. Your words hold no water. I mean honestly, listen to yourself. You seem hate filled and resentful. Hardly what the Buddha represented.
Since you are so big on Eastern influences, how about you read about Confucius. He established a "zen" like society ages ago and his teachings are far from what yours currently are.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
You posted a lot of material,...but deliberately failed to link the occupy source. Had you identified the link, maybe your credibility would not be in question.
My credibility is based upon facts and research. Yours has simply been opinion. How about you go and do more research and then come back and debate.

Are you saying that these peer reviewed journals are inaccurate in their analysis?

The website is simply something I found when doing more research on the topic. Where's your research?

Old 02-12-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Makes no difference at this point,....you can't put the toothpaste back into the tube.

The sheer ignorance of the protesters, coupled with demeaning videos have been recorded ad nauseum, and that fact makes for nothing but bad publicity. Look at the referenced "pay to protest" that was earlier linked.

The movement has been in the limelight, but missed the opportunity to be taken seriously. The claim that occupiers are making a difference just by being in the news is farfetched. Charles Manson made the news,....Timothy McVeigh made the news,...Branch Davidian made the news,....etc.,...etc.,....
You posted a link to a non-credible source to try to prove a point and failed to read down a paragraph or two to realize that the information was stated as not credible and not representative of the Occupy movement.

What's your point here? That you can't find any credible sources to back up your argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies