Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 09:20 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilovethecommunity View Post
Yeah, his white neighbor who saw a black man going into a nice house. Something must be wrong when you see that.

Also, he did show the officers his I.D.
No, his neighbor who saw two men trying to force open the front door, and then, when they were unsuccessful, one of them going around to the back door to gain entry. While in retrospect it's clear nothing illegal was happening, it's very possible that something IS wrong when you see that. I hope that my neighbors, if they saw two men of any color trying to force my front door open, would call the police, and I'm willing to bet that you would hope the same of your neighbors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Did you ever read about how the LAPD was going around in the 80's ramming doors down. Sure they caught a lot of drug dealers and got drugs off the street but they also destroyed the homes of innocent people. They were also profiling people because of race. They would stop you on your way home and slam you down on the hood of your car.

They still do stuff like this.

Lapd Racial Profiling | Justice Department warns LAPD to take a stronger stance against racial profiling - Los Angeles Times

Racial profiling in L.A.: the numbers don't lie - Los Angeles Times

So, you are saying it's okay to judge people because of race? Just because it gets the job done?

Should we just go around throwing random blacks and Latinos in jail because it might bring down the crime rate? Should we make a law that doesn't allow blacks and Latinos out past 9:00 because it might be bring down the crime rate? Should we make a law that allows people to shoot Blacks and Latinos they perceive as criminals on sight?
Stop with the ridiculous hyperbole. I never suggested any such thing, nor did anyone else. You posted an article that had a rather startling statement of fact. If you carefully read my response, you will see that I said "if this is accurate..." Why did I say it that way? Because that fact struck me as unlikely. But it came from the article YOU presented, so I allowed the possibility of it being accurate, making a comment that was relevant if so, and leaving it for you to show that it was wrong.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,937,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
No, his neighbor who saw two men trying to force open the front door, and then, when they were unsuccessful, one of them going around to the back door to gain entry. While in retrospect it's clear nothing illegal was happening, it's very possible that something IS wrong when you see that. I hope that my neighbors, if they saw two men of any color trying to force my front door open, would call the police, and I'm willing to bet that you would hope the same of your neighbors.
Your neighbors know who you are. They should have known who Gates was. My neighbors should know who I am, but they probably don't. I once participated in a sociology experiment. White people, especially white women perceive me as being 6' or over and around 220lbs when actually I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. When white people measure other white people they get their height to the inch and weight within 10lbs.

H

Old 02-16-2012, 09:36 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Yeah, his white neighbor who saw a black man going into a nice house. Something must be wrong when you see that.

Also, he did show the officers his I.D.
As an investigator, I can tell you that showing ID isn't enough. Believe it or not, there may have been a restraining order or OOP (order of protection) which would not have allowed him to be in the home. They have to ask him questions and have someone check up on the matter just to make sure that he can legally be there.

If the officer would have left the home after checking ID, and god forbid Gates waits in the home and kills his spouse, everyone would have wanted to know why the officer hadn't checked up on it before leaving. IMO he was doing what he was suppose to do.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
Your neighbors know who you are. They should have known who Gates was. My neighbors should know who I am, but they probably don't. I once participated in a sociology experiment. White people, especially white women perceive me as being 6' or over and around 220lbs when actually I am 5'10" and weigh 185lbs. When white people measure other white people they get their height to the inch and weight within 10lbs.

H
The extent to which Mr. Gates & his neighbors should have been on friendlier terms is not for the police to question. Someone called & said they saw two men trying to break into a house. Are you suggesting the police shouldn't have asked the person they found in that house to identify himself as the owner?

Old 02-16-2012, 09:38 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Stop with the ridiculous hyperbole. I never suggested any such thing, nor did anyone else. You posted an article that had a rather startling statement of fact. If you carefully read my response, you will see that I said "if this is accurate..." Why did I say it that way? Because that fact struck me as unlikely. But it came from the article YOU presented, so I allowed the possibility of it being accurate, making a comment that was relevant if so, and leaving it for you to show that it was wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Good, profiling is an effective law enforcement tool and should be used .
I was just pulling from what you said

"If this is accurate, can you tell me what the problem is with the police stopping people, when 88% of them have committed some crime?"

Also, please read the second quote I pulled from this thread.

Plenty of people on this thread think it's okay to strip people of human rights as long as it gets the job done.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:46 AM

Quote:
I was just pulling from what you said

"If this is accurate, can you tell me what the problem is with the police stopping people, when 88% of them have committed some crime?"

Also, please read the second quote I pulled from this thread.

Plenty of people on this thread think it's okay to strip people of human rights as long as it gets the job done.
It should have been VERY obvious to you that I was responding to this tripe;
Quote:
you are saying it's okay to judge people because of race? Just because it gets the job done?
and
Quote:
Should we just go around throwing random blacks and Latinos in jail because it might bring down the crime rate? Should we make a law that doesn't allow blacks and Latinos out past 9:00 because it might be bring down the crime rate? Should we make a law that allows people to shoot Blacks and Latinos they perceive as criminals on sight?
If you want to have a civil discussion, I am happy to do so. I'll ask that you stop taking my posts out of context to try making your point.

And for the record, I probably agree with you on the subject of stop & frisk more than I disagree with you. I don't think police should be able to stop people & harass or search them without good reason. But there are some details & context I'd like to see. For instance, if a police officer walking down the street at midnight stops a 17 year old kid walking down that same street & has a brief conversation; Hey, what's goin' on tonight? Where you headed? Do you live in this neighborhood? is that counted as a stop in the statistics? And do you see any problem with that interaction?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies