Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2012, 09:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,122,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
An electric car, however, doesn't need coal powered electricity. It is source independent.
A major shift to electric cars would be dependent upon coal, nuclear or natural gas if you expect it to be cheap and on demand.

Might as well just have a car powered by nat gas as it would be much more efficient hence the reason electric cars won't supplant cars run fossil fuels in the near future. .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 09:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,853,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So do you think that battery powered cars should be mandatory?
No. Why must you ask?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
A major shift to electric cars would be dependent upon coal, nuclear or natural gas if you expect it to be cheap and on demand.
Or, solar, or hydro, or any combination of those. The fact is, focusing on the ills and inefficiencies of power generation/delivery is disingenuous attempt against a technological advancement that is independent of how the power is generated.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Or, solar, or hydro,
Solar is not cheap and hardly on demand..... LOL What happens when 100 million people get home from work and need to charge their car at night?

As far as hydro goes that comes with own environmental issues and expansion is of what we have now is unlikely. They are knocking dams down not building new ones.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Solar is not cheap and hardly on demand..... LOL What happens when 100 million people get home from work and need to charge their car at night?

As far as hydro goes that comes with own environmental issues and expansion is of what we have now is unlikely. They are knocking dams down not building new ones.
Again, it doesn't matter if something is cheap or not. The fact is, electric cars are designed on their own and without a specific source. Denying that would be like saying that gasoline powered cars are designed to use Saudi oil.

Again, associating ills of power generation systems with a technology is disingenuous approach. Personally, I'm looking forward to my own solar grid in couple of years, when the house mortgage will be completely paid off.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to my own solar grid in couple of years, .
So lets say 100 million households decide to do this, who's paying for the 50% tax rebate then? That's about 3 or 4 trillion dollars.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:05 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,129,887 times
Quote:
How is mass transit convenient? Do you propose hi speed rail stop at your front door to pick you up now? That will slow down the his speed part of it I'm guessing.
Don't be dense. Mass transit is a system of different modes of transit working together.

Quote:
Oh on another note every car I've ever been in holds more than one person. Now I don't know about those little deathtrap moonbat mobile smart cars. You can have at those death machines.
Not everyone needs to travel long distances or use highways. Are you scolding them for purchasing something that meets their needs?

Quote:
So to you reasonable is to raise the price of all energy so that green energy sector will be competitive?? That's not reasonable that is insane. Who does this hurt? Those poor the left always champion. I guess we really know where they stand now. YOu can't pay your light bill tough sheet. We got a hi speed rail though.
Quote:
How have low gas prices damaged the economy? What has really damaged the economy was Obama and his green economic agenda starting out with the stimulous. All these green jobs that never materialized. What is the solution? Punish energy companies for not having high enough prices?
You really have it wrong. When a bulk of the energy is produced by nonrenewable resources the price will increase regardless (looking at you oil). I would love to see a small carbon tax imposed that would progressively get larger. I think natural gas is a great mediator between coal and whatever future energy source(s) we come up with. The funds would then be used on infrastructure like roads, highways, mass transit, bridges, etc. What I don't want are subsidies used to invest in certain green technologies because that is inefficient. Furthermore, we can put a price on pollution instead of subsidizing it.

Conservation (ie using energy more efficiently) is the simplest means of energy security and environmentalism. People can decide on their own ways to save money and companies can react to or influence those decisions. Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything as people can still purchase SUVs and trucks but you no longer get the free ride metaphorically speaking.

Low prices are damaging because it isn't reflective of the actual costs. It setups a very inefficient way of life (suburban) that requires cheap energy in order to survive, not to mention subsidizes roads/highways/utilities in order to provide "cheap housing". There's a reason why the housing collapse affected suburban and exurban communities greater than the rest.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
So lets say 100 million households decide to do this, who's paying for the 50% tax rebate then? That's about 3 or 4 trillion dollars.
So you are starting with the assumption that solar panels will be perpetually rebated?

Old 02-15-2012, 10:08 AM

Quote:
It would be lame to offer tax rebates when something is THAT popular. Personally, I'm not even counting any rebate (it will be welcome but I plan for the worst case scenarios).

Old 02-15-2012, 10:09 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,037,364 times
So it took your whole post to get to the gist of it. Your a fan of stacking folks into dense population centers and run em to where they need to be on his speed rail?? That is what it sounds like. That is after all the only way to make the "green dream" come true. Agenda 21 at work. I pray you never get your wish.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Point being?

Quote:
Might as well just have a car powered by nat gas as it would be much more efficient hence the reason electric cars won't supplant cars run fossil fuels in the near future. .
And so we would have to build a nationwide infrastructure supporting nat gas powered cars as you can't store nat gas like oil. One of the reasons why oil is so great is become of how easy it is to store and transport.

Where do you keep coming up with this notion electric cars need to supplant anything? We are going to be using a mix of hybrids, gas powered, and electric powered personal vehicles for quite some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies