Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:46 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,894,641 times

Advertisements

$5 or $6 gasoline may be helpful to the alternative fuels, electric car industry and to move people to mass transit. Sounds like a reasonable course to follow. Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2012, 08:50 AM

1,211 posts, read 1,537,901 times
LOL at the anti-science, anti-progress oily Republicans talking about technological advancement.

These loser have been riding on the coattails of scientists and engineers, who are overwhelmingly liberal. Since when did conservative states contribute anything towards technological progress?

Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,053,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
$5 or $6 gasoline may be helpful to the alternative fuels, electric car industry and to move people to mass transit. Sounds like a reasonable course to follow. Just saying.
So to you reasonable is to raise the price of all energy so that green energy sector will be competitive?? That's not reasonable that is insane. Who does this hurt? Those poor the left always champion. I guess we really know where they stand now. YOu can't pay your light bill tough sheet. We got a hi speed rail though.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:04 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,316,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
I am amazed how few people think that electric cars are GREEN and produce no pollution. Do people not understand that the electricity still has to be produced in a power plant? 50% of the U.S. electrical power comes from filthy COAL, and even if you scrub the massive amount of pollutant toxins from the smokestacks, you still have to put the endless flow of millions of tons of toxic pollutants SOMEWHERE.

Back to the "green" electric car--after the electricity is produced in a power plant (almost 80% by burning fossil fuels ), it must be transmitted with significant loss over power lines, then stored chemically in the car battery, before being converted back into energy to power the car. How does this process compare in efficiency to simply burning gasoline to power a car?

Is this simply too complicated for the average American to understand?

Well a tesla will give you *depending on the model* between 160 to 300 miles, and the charging time is only 4 hours. So chances are that extra output from the local electric factory is still less than running your car of gas for all that time :-P Even if right now it is comparable, remember they are working on better batteries that stay charged longer, and take less time to charge.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:07 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,316,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
When a plug in hybrid car with a 50 mile range on electricity and 250 in gas becomes available for less than 8 grand I might buy it. I would use the electric part to drive to the bus station and back and the gas part for longer drives. There is no way I would borrow money for a car.

BTW - I do not consider myself "wussufied" because I might buy a lower performance hybrid car. When I want acceleration, speed and fuel economy I ride a motorcycle.
LOL most of them get over 100 miles , and they have models going up to 300 miles.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,894,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So to you reasonable is to raise the price of all energy so that green energy sector will be competitive?? That's not reasonable that is insane. Who does this hurt? Those poor the left always champion. I guess we really know where they stand now. YOu can't pay your light bill tough sheet. We got a hi speed rail though.
The artificial low price of gas has been, and continues to, damage the American Economy. It is unrealistic to continue to do that. That is why there is such a need for alternatives. It's not, or shouldn't be, a left or right thing. Also, lowering the demand for gas, lowers the price of gas.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,173,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Actually, you are overcomplicating things. Since electrical cars fuel costs are cheaper than gasoline powered vehicles it tells you that electrical cars are more efficient as far as fuel consumption goes.
Cost and efficiency are two different things. Firstly there is no fuel tax on electric which is used to build and maintain roads, on average that's 50 cents a gallon. As more electric cars come on the road they will have to pay that tax hence the reason there is lot of talk about a per mile fee.

Overall electricity is cheap because it's mainly produced from coal which is plentiful in this country. A ton of soft coal might have 24 million BTU's and cost $60 bucks retail, to equal that with diesel you need about 174 gallons with retail cost in the $700 range.

This is irrelevant to efficiency of either and the amount of pollution.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:11 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,075,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Electric cars are for sissies! When I hit the gas pedal I wanna go. I drive a full size pick-up that gets 15 miles to the gallon. For an occupation I drive a diesel powered truck that probably gets 7, which electricty could never have the power to pull and move what diesel fuel does. Beat that tree huggers!
I'll gladly beat it.

The Army's first hybrid tank

Your move.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:12 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,876,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supertrucker212 View Post
Electric cars are for sissies! When I hit the gas pedal I wanna go. I drive a full size pick-up that gets 15 miles to the gallon. For an occupation I drive a diesel powered truck that probably gets 7, which electricty could never have the power to pull and move what diesel fuel does. Beat that tree huggers!
Well, those stupid engineers shouldn't have designed diesel locomotives to use electric traction. They should have asked you for advice instead.

Old 02-15-2012, 09:16 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,053,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
The artificial low price of gas has been, and continues to, damage the American Economy. It is unrealistic to continue to do that. That is why there is such a need for alternatives. It's not, or shouldn't be, a left or right thing. Also, lowering the demand for gas, lowers the price of gas.
How have low gas prices damaged the economy? What has really damaged the economy was Obama and his green economic agenda starting out with the stimulous. All these green jobs that never materialized. What is the solution? Punish energy companies for not having high enough prices?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies