Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2012, 08:51 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
You said "For those who do not subscribe to these beliefs, they shouldn't go to religious schools."
You make it sounds as if the child chooses the school they attend. But that is usually not the case. They are just sent to whatever school their parents think is right.

And I support laws keeping schools from teaching stuff that will cause problems in society later on. The US is full of radicals already, just look at your messy, split, hateful society...

There is freedom of religion in the US. We a are very tolerent country. Parents make all sorts of value choices for children, religion being one of them. The state cannot dicate to the individual what choices they can make.

The US is an incredibly tolerant and civil society. Unlike much of Europe the US is incredibly diverse with no ethnic tensions. In many European countries, they can't accomodate more than one ethnic group without fighting. The way we have been so successful, is we keep the state out of our business as much as possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Government is not society. Society includes everyone, i.e. teachers, classmates, parents, neighbors, bus drivers, etc.
Thus your whole North Korea hint is ridiculous.
After all you still have free speech. That automatically includes subjecting your kid to contradicting views and opinions.
Of course we have free speech, that is why the Canadian travesty could never happen here. But wht Alberta is doing should be roundly criticized. Without free speech, North Korea is a very real possibility.

Government is the way society expresses itself. (If expression is allowed)

Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There is freedom of religion in the US. We a are very tolerent country. Parents make all sorts of value choices for children, religion being one of them. The state cannot dicate to the individual what choices they can make.

The US is an incredibly tolerant and civil society. Unlike much of Europe the US is incredibly diverse with no ethnic tensions. In many European countries, they can't accomodate more than one ethnic group without fighting. The way we have been so successful, is we keep the state out of our business as much as possible.
I'm just going to wait patiently for the rebuttals to start rolling in over this post.

Words used that I predict will trigger responses:

"civil", "tolerant", "diverse" "no ethnic tenisons", "successful-(maintaining accommodations and)".

Old 02-27-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I'm just going to wait patiently for the rebuttals to start rolling in over this post.

"civil", "tolerant", "diverse" "no ethnic tenisons", "successful-(maintaining accommodations and)".
No need to wait. If you can point to anything other than isolated issues please do. We haven't seen riots like France. We havent had ethnic cleansing like Serbia. I could go on and on . Europe needs to look to us to see what tolerance looks like.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:20 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post

Yes, I had to laugh when I read that post

Actually, the Canadians probably decided to have that law after observing their southern neighbor and its crazy radicals Can anyone blame them if they don't want to go down that road?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, I had to laugh when I read that post

Actually, the Canadians probably decided to have that law after observing their southern neighbor and its crazy radicals Can anyone blame them if they don't want to go down that road?
Lol, we see the typical European tolerance on full display here. Do tell which crazy US radicals are engaged in Violence and intolerance? As with Alberta, Europeans are tolerent of ideas they agree with. One need look no further than France and the banning of Muslim religious headscarfs.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Lol, we see the typical European tolerance on full display here. Do tell which crazy US radicals are engaged in Violence and intolerance? As with Alberta, Europeans are tolerent of ideas they agree with. One need look no further than France and the banning of Muslim religious headscarfs.
Do you think that law is idiotic?

Old 02-27-2012, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Do you think that law is idiotic?
Of course, don't you?

Unsurprising though, Europeans are so homogeneous, they have trouble with the "other".

Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,752,932 times
Quote:
If I remember correctly, they have not banned headscarves but face veils. And I absolutely support that. I never said I was tolerant, I am all in favor of intolerance towards antisocial behavior, which in my view includes hiding one's face.

As for US radicals, none of those dozen or so Republican candidates for instance would even be taken seriously in Germany or Britain or France or the Netherlands. Based on their views and opinions, they are radicals from our perspective.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
That would be unconstitutional in America. I wouldn't put it past Progressives to try it, but it wouldn't hold up in the Supreme Court.
No actually it would stand up if you were using the academic portion of the schooling to teach it. Their ban seems to be a bit more broad which would not be allowed here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies